Raw Diet

Tell us about your other furry, winged or scaley friends!
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Raw Diet

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Does anyone here have their dog(s)/cat(s) on the raw diet?
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Re: Raw Diet

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

I wish I did!!!
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have suggested it to many of my grooming customers who's animals have severe skin allergies. My dog does get 1/4 dry dog food, 1/4 carrots, 1/4 broccoli, 1/4 green beans, 2x/day.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

I feel like a raw/whole diet is much better for cats and dogs. For dogs, I don't think it's quite as big of a deal because of the high thirst drive, though they do benefit from the lack of processing and the muscular development. Cats, on the other hand, have a very low thirst drive, and kibble all the time dehydrates them and causes problems like kidneystones. Canned food is much better, and then of course raw is best; it develops jaw muscles, stimulates their minds, and gives them maximum nutrition. As obligate carnivores, they need minimum to zero fillers, which canned and dry food rarely offer. Plus, raw is cheaper than high-quality canned.

I may be mistaken, but I think that a raw diet also improves dental health.

For now, I'm stuck feeding my cat grain-free kibble. I used to wet it, but then when we moved in with my parents for the school year, she started turning down wet high-quality kibble in favor of my parents' cat's dry grocery store crap. To help prevent kidneystones, I give her distilled water; our local water is notorious for its high mineral content and contribution to absurd rates of kidneystones. As soon as I can afford it, I will feed raw!
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

Jay
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Fahaka named Taquito.
Congo Named Digger.
Location (country): USA

Post by Jay »

My wife and I switched over to the Raw diet 15 years ago and haven’t looked back for a second. I can’t even begin to express the difference in the health of our 3 Labs and 1 Pit in comparison to past animals fed on any quality kibble.
1275 Gallons
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): California, USA

Post by goldielocke76 »

I do!! Well, it's a rotating raw diet so my dogs don't get bored with their food, and they don't get bad allergies. Little bit of kibble in the morning, with a tiny spoonful of wet, then at night, they get their raw with a tiny bit of kibble. Allergies are gone, and they never pick at their food, and their coats come in super shiny and healthy. I used to have to take Lady, my beagle, in for steroid shots every summer because she'd chew herself bald with allergies. Don't have to worry about that any more :)
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Pufferpunk wrote:I have suggested it to many of my grooming customers who's animals have severe skin allergies. My dog does get 1/4 dry dog food, 1/4 carrots, 1/4 broccoli, 1/4 green beans, 2x/day.
By the way, Jeni, have you considered balancing Kalvin's diet with more meat and a variety of vegetables and fruit? That is a very low-protein, low-calorie diet. The kibble alone, if it's decent- to high-quality, should be balanced in itself, so all those veggies are probably unbalancing it. Since Kalvin is an athletic dog, shouldn't he be getting more protein? Plus, it might benefit him to get a wider variety of veggies and fruits, since each different one has a different nutrition concentration, and only using the same three might deprive him of other vitamins and so forth.

I AM A DUDETTE!

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

He does get plenty of fruit. Hubby shares 1/2 his banana every morning with him, along with apple slices. Kalvin was getting a lil thick around the waist with more kibble (Solid Gold--good quality stuff) but when I reduced the amount, he was hungry all the time. Someone in the dog club suggested supplementing with pumpkin, which was good for the 1st year but then it was off the shelves for a year & I had to find an alternative filler. He's nice & trim now!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Have you considered a low-fat meat or kibble that's higher in protein? Dogs aren't meant to fill up on plants like us. Some plants are important, definitely, but 3/4 veggies probably doesn't supply enough protein for the average dog. With low-fat dog food, he can eat more, but take in fewer calories.

I AM A DUDETTE!

Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

The problem with any kibble is it contains grains. Dogs do not have the digestive system for grains and it causes a lot of allergies in dogs. When feeding a raw diet you feed 2-4% of the dogs adult weight, daily. You can add fruits and vegetables as a side, but dogs should have a diet that consists mainly of protein.

This link lists the food you can feed the dogs: http://rawfeddogs.net/Recipes/

However, when feeding a raw diet you shouldn't purchase packaged meat from the grocery store. The best thing to do is go to your local butcher or meat supply and ask for leftovers that they don't sell. Raw, meaty bones and carcasses are best. Dogs can, and enjoy eating whole bones. However, do NOT cook the meat or bones.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

^^^There are many kibbles available now that are grain-free! :D See dogfoodanalysis.com. Of course, raw IS the best.

I AM A DUDETTE!

Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

LilGreenPuffer wrote:^^^There are many kibbles available now that are grain-free! :D See dogfoodanalysis.com. Of course, raw IS the best.
Oh that's great news. I'm pretty outdated on available dog foods, other than I know fancy ones are VERY expensive and Science Diet is expensive crap.
DrKennethNoisewater
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Puffers:
2xGSP
Non Puffers:
3xPictus Catfish
1xBlack Ghost Knife
1xGolden Dojo Loach
1xHighfin Pleco
1xBoesemani Rainbow
4xHarlequin Rasboras
Location (country): under a bridge ontario, canada

Post by DrKennethNoisewater »

my dog gets a mixture of brown rice, sweet potatoes, random veggies, and ground beef 2x a day. my collie often eats better than me. for dinner today i had a can of condensed soup. my collie had that, and my puffers had squid w chopped fresh garlic (+ meds). everyone had a good meal in my house today except for me...:(
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Nuclear_Glitter wrote:
LilGreenPuffer wrote:^^^There are many kibbles available now that are grain-free! :D See dogfoodanalysis.com. Of course, raw IS the best.
Oh that's great news. I'm pretty outdated on available dog foods, other than I know fancy ones are VERY expensive and Science Diet is expensive crap.
Look at Orijen, Canidae/Felidae, Wellness (certain formulas), Blue Buffalo (certain formulas), Taste of the Wild, Evo, and Weruva, for starters. :D

I AM A DUDETTE!

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Wheat makes Kal throw up. I think he's allergic.