Rainbow Land Crabs (Cardisoma armatum)

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
ste123
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): uk

Re: Rainbow Land Crabs (Cardisoma armatum)

Post by ste123 »

Love your tank, looks like the exact one i used to have.

My crab is very nearly the size of my hand now haha. He's huge. His legs have stayed quite blue as well as they loose their colours when they get older. He seems fine, but just been hiding in his plantpot since he molted. I think when they are older they arent as lively and playful.

you crab looks nice and healthy tho im sure he loves the new tank it looks brilliant.

keep the pics comin i'll see if i can get one or two of mine if i ever catch him out of his hiding place lol
Cyaneyed
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Northants, England

Post by Cyaneyed »

Im really pleased with the tank :) and i think Seb is loving it to. He`s been spending most of his time in the water which im a tad dissapointed in, as i would love to see him digging in the sand. He seems to like digging in the gravel in the water tho :) what ever makes him happy :D.

Wow, he`s pretty big then, thats kool :). How long have you had him for now?

Seb has all of his colours back now and has been alot more active than he was :) which is great.

This may sound like an odd question but does your tank ever get a sort of slimy film on things in the water?
Ive noticed that sum wierd white fungus/slime keeps growing on the wood and the heater and seb loves it, seems to wait till it all grown then harvest the lot :S. any thoughts?

im going to clean him out now so ill take a few pics when im done and post them :).

Would love to see your crab and setup if you can get pics on here :)

Hope all is well :)

Regards
Cyan

P.s I recently brought myself a Green Horned Frog :D he`s pretty funky, can post a pic if you`d like to see :)
ste123
Dwarf Puffer

Post by ste123 »

Haha yeh Ive been getting a white gewey thing on my wood so ive tried to set it so its not in the water at all. it seems to have done the trick. i'll get a few pics posted up soon yeh, maybe even shorty.

Billy runs away when i get the camera out tho haha

Glad your enjoying ur crab. try making his sand quite wet, that way wen he digs it will stick and make proper holes. Im sure he will have been trying to dig in it but if its too dry they cant make a proper tunnel. Wen i had sand in mine, the three crabs made an underground maze!!!
ste123
Dwarf Puffer

Post by ste123 »

This is my tank...
and strangely enough i managed to catch a few good shots of billy!!
Here he is guarding his cave (plant pot) before he molted, i think this is behaviour that is directly related to molting (making sure the area is safe before molting):

And here are the ones i literally just took:

xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

what do you use to filter the water?

Is the wood real or fake?
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
ste123
Dwarf Puffer

Post by ste123 »

Ive got a crappy filter at the moment but i'm hoping to buy a better one soon. Most filters will do though, but if it's a less powerful one you will have to do a bit more self cleaning.

The wood is real
Cyaneyed
Puffer Fry

Post by Cyaneyed »

Wow! Those pics are great! Your set up is fantastic! :D Billy looks great to, his colours are lovely and bright :), bet he loves his home :D.
I saw the pic of him munching some broccolli so i decided to try seb on some, he seemed to like it, but it floated to much for him and he ended up chasing it around the tank, which was funny to watch but i felt a bit mean so i held it for him in the end :P.
As for the white stuff, he still seems to let it grow them feast on it, but it hasent done him any harm so i figured id just leave him to it.
Hes been exploring alot more of his tank now, spends quite a bit of time up on the land which is nice :) Hes dug himself a lovely deep, vertical hole to hide in :P.
The filter im useing atm is a Fluval U2, got a nice bio-block holder and decent mech filteration and keeps the water crystal clear :). Im tending to clean him out fully once a week to keep it all nice for him :).
Ill pop some photos on in a while :), try and get one of him in his hole :D.

Hope all is well :)

Regards,
Cyan
ste123
Dwarf Puffer

Post by ste123 »

Does your Fluval U2 have to be completely under the water? The problem I have with filters is that my water isn't ery deep so most filters dont work properly because they arent submerged fully. I really want a new one but i dont want to spend all that money on somethin i wont be able to use!!
ste123
Dwarf Puffer

Post by ste123 »

Any chance of a reply? i was hoping to get the filter this week and ive seen it in my local pet store but dont want to buy it if it has to be fully submerged
Cyaneyed
Puffer Fry

Post by Cyaneyed »

Hey!
Sorry for late reply, internet went down :(, only just got it back. The filter needs to be fully submerged, it needs about 4 inches of water if you want to stand it on the floor of the tnk, 5 maybe if your attaching it to the side of the tank. From the pics i saw of your tank i would have thought youd be ok with it. Its a good little filter :) keeps Sebs water nice and clear.

Sebs started digging now :D Hes made lots of holes and a few tunnels, although some have collapsed :( he seemed a bit sad about this :(, bless him.

Hows everything with you? Billy ok? :)

Again, sorry for lengthy reply, now im back up and running tho, so all is well :D

Regards
Cyan
ste123
Dwarf Puffer

Post by ste123 »

Haha, good to hear he's havin fun lol. No worries for the late reply, I was goin to buy the filter right at that moment thats all. I've had to decided against it as money is low atm lol.
Billy's doin fine, he's been tryin to climb out of the tank every time I feed him! I cant believe how forward he's become compared to how he used to be so scared of any movement,especially after being nearly killed by the old crab.
ciroman
Puffer Fry
Location (country): usa

Post by ciroman »

Is there anyone still on here with Rainbow Crabs.?
Would love to hear any news.