My puffer puffed!

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
kms547
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 Green Spotted Puffers, Kirby and Meta Knight.
Location (country): USA

My puffer puffed!

Post by kms547 »

It was 4 in the morning and I was coming back from a party and checking on my Green Spotted Puffers. They were happily swimming around, didn't seemed stressed and then all of a sudden one of them was puffing himself up. Almost 3 times his size, he was huge! I was excited but worried because I thought there was something wrong and decided to check the water and everything is perfectly fine. He is still eating a lot and happily swimming around. I didn't think that GSP really puffed.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: My puffer puffed!

Post by Pufferpunk »

They all have the ability to puff. Did you suddenly turn on the light in the room at 3am?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
kms547
Puffer Fry

Post by kms547 »

The lights were already on in the living room. I know they have the ability to puff, but I just thought it was so rare for GSP.
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

Some puffers puff just to practice it. It's kind of scary the first time you experience it (at least I was scared), but it's quite normal. :D
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

kms547
Puffer Fry

Post by kms547 »

Troender wrote:Some puffers puff just to practice it. It's kind of scary the first time you experience it (at least I was scared), but it's quite normal. :D

Yeah, he was probably just doing it to show off. :lol:
sparks42
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer named Chomper!

Post by sparks42 »

Maybe your puffer missed you when you left and got mad, and that was his display to show you not to ditch him for parties! Cuz they think your life should revolve around them ;)
borgey
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Tetraodon biocellatus, 3 Colomesus asellus, 4 Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Location (country): U.S.A

Post by borgey »

sparks42 wrote:Maybe your puffer missed you when you left and got mad, and that was his display to show you not to ditch him for parties! Cuz they think your life should revolve around them ;)
LOL, sounds like a couple of Puffers that I know. Although I have not seen any puff up except for one of my DPs. He puffs up sometimes when he gets excited it seems. Like when I go to feed him, as soon as he knows food is coming he will puff right up. They are such show offs LOL
ProPuffyFish
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 figure eight puffers
Location (country): Canada

Post by ProPuffyFish »

Haha sooooooo cute! Sounds like yours as an awesome little personality. I've heard you can train them simple tricks like puppies with treats lol. Can't wait to get my puffer :)