bottom feeders

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
hali
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 3 figure of eight puffers

bottom feeders

Post by hali »

hi,

are there any bottom feeders i can put safely in my tank with my 3 F8 puffs?????

thanks
marksrush
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: One GSP.
Location (country): USA

Re: bottom feeders

Post by marksrush »

Not that I can think of, off the top of my head. Puffers are known to attack corys, plecos, and most other fish for that matter, although of course there are always exceptions. Your best bet is to just keep that siphon of yours handy. ;)
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

There is a brackish water catfish but it grows very large, should be kept in schools and requires mid-high salinity as they get older so unfortunately incompatible with figure 8's
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

When I first got my pair of Ceylon puffers in a tank on their own, I noticed how messy they were and tried to find a bottom-feeder that would tolerate brackish conditions and I found out that, as Iliveinazoo stated, there is a catfish that lives in brackish water, but it grows very large and isn't conventional for an aquarium. That's when the good old tank vacuum comes in handy!! :D
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
rengnath
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer - 1.5"
Location (country): United States

Post by rengnath »

Iliveinazoo wrote:There is a brackish water catfish but it grows very large, should be kept in schools and requires mid-high salinity as they get older so unfortunately incompatible with figure 8's
I think I have what you are talking about! Its a high-fin columbian bull shark. I had 3, however they were way to aggressive for my tank, and 2 always picked on one of them. After I went to one, the fish is always calm and just swims on the bottom. He eats ANYTHING he can fit in his mouth. He never bothers any of my fish, and neither my scat nor green spotted puffer bothers him. In terms of salinity, the scat and puffer are still fairly small, the shark is at 3 inches, and I have a reading on the hydrometer of 1.020. That fluctuates with water changes, but I keep it fairly high. The shark does grow fast though, so Im sure I will be getting rid of him soon because I dont want to get a larger tank.

FYI, a scat does eat off the bottom, and does a pretty good job. Its disgusting, but they eat feces. They also feed on flake food, krill, plankton, and anything else you can imagine.
Ripleysix
Puffer Fry
Location (country): England

Post by Ripleysix »

In our tank with our 2 F8's we have bumblebee gobies. They leave each other alone and the gobies eat whatever the F8s don't :)