GSP Breeding

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
kookydave
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 4 GSP's
Location (country): LIttle river Kansas united states

GSP Breeding

Post by kookydave »

I was told that you can not tell the sex of puffer fish unless you disect them. Well my neigbor told me that if you look at the anal fin on a GSP that the females will be smaller of that then the male. Also if you look closely at the fin you would be able to see 3 little egg (i cant remember waht he called them.) I am just curious if that is true or not. I am to scared to take my puffers out of water to check or look. :shock:
In the land of the BLIND, one eyed men are KINGS
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Re: GSP Breeding

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Don't take them out!

There is no way. Even the company that finally managed to breed them hasn't found a way unless they actually observe them spawning.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
busybones
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: ******
(1)T. lineatus-Fahaka~Pookie 125 gal
(1)M. turgidus- Brown Puffer~Rowdy 30 gal
(1)T.nigroviridis-GSP~ 55 gal
Location (country): USA

Post by busybones »

+1

We really need to focus on getting your tank healthy! :whip:
Markgilst
Puffer Fry

Post by Markgilst »

Would this apply to f8's aswell?
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!

Post by Dadof4 »

Yes this would apply to F8's as well. With little exception (Dwarfs being prime example) only the puffer really knows what sex it is.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
PolishPuff
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: ________

Also cared for;

Fahaka------------------- Had to give it away
Auriglobus modestus-----Traded
Auriglobus silus ---------Died during transport.
Figure Eight Puffers -----Sold and or traded
Dwarf Puffers ------------Traded
Congo Puffer ------------Traded
South American Puffers -Traded
Carinotetraodon lorteti --Died under my supervision :(
Location (country): USA-Chicago, IL

Post by PolishPuff »

kookydave wrote:I was told that you can not tell the sex of puffer fish unless you disect them. Well my neigbor told me that if you look at the anal fin on a GSP that the females will be smaller of that then the male. Also if you look closely at the fin you would be able to see 3 little egg (i cant remember waht he called them.) I am just curious if that is true or not. I am to scared to take my puffers out of water to check or look. :shock:
I know, sometimes I cant understand why we can't use are technology to find out sex of a puffer. Let say you buy a 200gal tank and 5 GSP, your odds of breeding could be zero. When I was reading what kookydave wrote I was hoping that's kind of a clue of sexing.
"Lost time is never found again" Benjamin Franklin
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

kookydave wrote:(i cant remember waht he called them.)
Ovipositor.

Ovum, Latin for egg, as in ovary. Posi, Latin for putting or placing, as in deposit. "Egg depositor."
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Those who have bred some species of puffers (very few species do breed in captivity) say that the females get quite a bit more round in shape, obviously eggy.. of course, you'd need to have excellent water quality, perfect conditions and good food to bring them into breeding condition to see that.

I believe the company that is artificially breeding them (harvesting eggs and sperm and fertilizing themselves, not letting the fish to it naturally), uses hormones to bring them into breeding condition. Overall, not a project the average fishkeeper can tackle. But it gives us hope!

I sometimes wonder if there is a teeny tiny ultrasound machine out there that could see the reproductive organs, but you'd probably have to sedate the fish, etc, blah blah.
DYF
Puffer Fry
Location (country): England

Post by DYF »

Bit of clove oil, simple ;)
KorrepZ
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: .
1 Fahaka
1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's
Location (country): Holland

Post by KorrepZ »

You could always just turn Days of our Lives on on the telly. If the puffer "runs" and hides.... It's def a male :P
Master Yoda the Fahaka and Manny the Mantis Shrimp! - R.I.P R2 & 3PO (F8), Luke (dwarf), Snips (Ceylon) and Obi 1-3 (Valentini)

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

DYF wrote:Bit of clove oil, simple ;)
I wouldn't...
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

KorrepZ wrote:You could always just turn Days of our Lives on on the telly. If the puffer "runs" and hides.... It's def a male :P

I'm not too sure about that theory ;) haha I threw a BBQ party in the summer and had a live Heavy Metal band play.. next thing we new we had 6 racoons sitting at the door watching the bad! It ws too funny! Rockn' Racoons!
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

If you get six young fish, your odds of getting at least one pair are excellent. You might even get two pairs, but the odd are not as good for that. It does not guarantee compatibility though. And we have no clue as to BW breeding triggers.

If the fish are uniform size and markings, random choice is fine for the six. If there is variation in size and markings, try to cover the range.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
PolishPuff
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: ________

Also cared for;

Fahaka------------------- Had to give it away
Auriglobus modestus-----Traded
Auriglobus silus ---------Died during transport.
Figure Eight Puffers -----Sold and or traded
Dwarf Puffers ------------Traded
Congo Puffer ------------Traded
South American Puffers -Traded
Carinotetraodon lorteti --Died under my supervision :(
Location (country): USA-Chicago, IL

Post by PolishPuff »

One of my two F8's belly is bigger them the other. They are same size about 2inch long, but even after one day of not feeding them, one of F8's belly is still nicely round, when the others belly size got smaller. It wasn't always like that.
"Lost time is never found again" Benjamin Franklin
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Pufferpunk wrote:
DYF wrote:Bit of clove oil, simple ;)
I wouldn't...
Agreed. Sedate fish only when necessary, and try to avoid clove oil when possible. It has serious risks and can cause brain damage.

I AM A DUDETTE!