Here we go all over again... Homer & Marge Pt 2

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
Homer
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 200G - 1X Fahaka Puffer
60G - Planted Tank (Panda Loaches / Celestial Pearl Danios / Clown Killi / CRS / Needle Nose Pike)
50G - Planted Tank (CRS only tank)
Location (country): Hong Kong

Here we go all over again... Homer & Marge Pt 2

Post by Homer »

I am EXTREMELY excited atm :hyper: ... i just checked out my palembang tank and realized my old Palembang Homer, seems to have mated with his new friend Barney that i rescued about 2 months ago from an LFS and has now laid what seems to be 100 - 200 white little eggs around his log :metal: ...

So my question is has any one ever had mating Palembangs before??? coz what i would like to know is who normally guards the eggs the Male or the Female??? since i'm trying to work out who's who in the tank??? since Homer seems to be the one hovering over the eggs guarding them with his/her? life...

Also, what sort of things do i need to do to try and help them hatch? coz i don't want to remove the eggs since i can see them stuck to the wood and don't want to risk breaking the sacs... so any info and help with my mating palembangs would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED... since i am a total and complete NOOB when it comes to mating fish... :dunce:
Last edited by Homer on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleep is the cousin of Death...
Homer
Green Spotted Puffer
60G - Planted Tank (Panda Loaches / Celestial Pearl Danios / Clown Killi / CRS / Needle Nose Pike)

Re: one of my Palembang's laid EGGS!!!!!!!! Please HELP

Post by Homer »

Okay, since i knew it would be a matter of time before every one asked for pics, here are some for now... will try and see if i can get some better pics later on??? and as you can see there are some of the white Egg sacks that i was talking about...

Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

Congrats! :grats:
I think it's the male that's guarding the eggs, but I'm not absolutely sure of it. I could be wrong.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

flash.dan
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 8 years of FW puffer care!
currently have 1x mbu
Bubba 17" gentle giant... loves a belly tickle.
2x Suvatti Pair
1x Carinotetraodon borneensis

Post by flash.dan »

the same as suvs its the male always. he may start eating them after a day or so so if you want to raise young best to take them out also keep the female away from the male or he will probably attack her
Homer
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Homer »

Thanks for the advice, i'll try and see what i can do about separating them since i'm a little short on tank space atm, but if worst comes to worst i guess i can put him at my friends lfs for a week or two since i know he has some tank space, just need to give him a heads up...

Dan if your reading this; have you got any advice on how to remove the eggs without taking out the whole piece of driftwood? since the piece of driftwood they've laid their eggs on is really big, and basically the center piece of the tank which they use to hide in and around so i don't think i'll be able to get it out and keep all my fingers :grin3:

Also, what chances do you think the eggs have if i leave them in the tank to hatch? and how long would you expect it to take for the eggs to hatch roughly???

Thanks in advance for all the advice...
edmlfc1
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Elvis (Stars & Stripes) R.I.P. 9/11/11
125G:Fahaka (Annabelle)
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by edmlfc1 »

That's awesome! I hope they make it. :D
Need to know what kind of puffer you have? Click on Puffer ID.....Puffer ID: ug.php/v/PufferPedia/
What to feed your puffer? Click on Feeding......
Feeding: library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
Have a GSP, need more information......Click on GSP Article.....
GSP Article: library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
Bogwoodbruce
On Probation
My Puffers: 1x T. Mbu (Dwaine)

Post by Bogwoodbruce »

Aww congrats! I dont have any advice to offer, but wanna say congrats! :D
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon erythrotaenia

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi,
m.palembangensis are usually not so good guardeners. they will usually eat the eggs after some hours or a day or two. therefore you should remove them to another tank as soon as you can. if you do not have anything else, buy one of those some-liter-plastic tanks and hang it into the main tank so that it gets the heating and light of it. then you will only need an air pump.
remove the eggs with a flexible tube like if you where changing water. take care: the adult fish could bite you!
in the new tank the most important thing is that the eggs need lots of oxigene. pull the air pump down and near the eggs so that on the one hand the water around them is moving all of the time but on the other hand the eggs will not spin around!
change little amounts of water at least two times a day!
the first food can be artemia-naupliae.
good luck!
martin
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Wow! That's so exciting! Congratulations, and good luck!
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
lilgirlkat
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by lilgirlkat »

this is really exciting!!

Good luck with everything!
puffertt77
Suspended
My Puffers: Mbu Puffer named Naboo
South American Puffer named Bollo RIP :(
3 Dwarf Puffers yet to be named
Red Eye Red Tailed Puffer - Returned to LFS for being to vicious
Porky the Porcupine
Pup the Dogface

Post by puffertt77 »

Homer wrote:Thanks for the advice, i'll try and see what i can do about separating them since i'm a little short on tank space atm, but if worst comes to worst i guess i can put him at my friends lfs for a week or two since i know he has some tank space, just need to give him a heads up...
Hey Homer
Why don't you get a baby box that floats at the top of the tank and put them in there. I cannot see why that wouldn't work
Homer wrote:Dan if your reading this; have you got any advice on how to remove the eggs without taking out the whole piece of driftwood? since the piece of driftwood they've laid their eggs on is really big, and basically the center piece of the tank which they use to hide in and around so i don't think i'll be able to get it out and keep all my fingers :grin3:
If it were me I would use a piece of hose/tube big enough for the eggs to travel through and then gently syphone them off of the bog wood into a bucket. Then you can just pour them into the baby box

Hope that helps :D
Image Image
Homer
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Homer »

Thanks again for all the advice every one, and yeah, i guess i might try and remove some of the eggs with a siphon tube, but just gotta be extremely careful since they seem kinda "stuck" to the driftwood?

Any how, just curious does any one know how long they take to hatch roughly, so i know how long i have before i need have to get the eggs out, since i have to start sorting out some sort of hatchery system possibly...

Also, Martin, how much water would you recommend each time? 5%, 10%, 20%?
julianchan
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP Elevator.....Lord Vator to everyone else...

Post by julianchan »

Am I the only one wondering.....how does puffer roe taste like...and will it kill me? Kidding

Exciting Homer! Keep us up to date with photos too if you get them to hatch and raise them. Good luck! :cheers: :supercool:
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi,
Homer wrote:Thanks again for all the advice every one, and yeah, i guess i might try and remove some of the eggs with a siphon tube, but just gotta be extremely careful since they seem kinda "stuck" to the driftwood?

Any how, just curious does any one know how long they take to hatch roughly, so i know how long i have before i need have to get the eggs out, since i have to start sorting out some sort of hatchery system possibly...

Also, Martin, how much water would you recommend each time? 5%, 10%, 20%?
@1: no problem!
@2: about six days. don't wait!
@3: 40-50%: only change water with the water from the main aquarium in the first time!
martin
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi,
puffertt77 wrote: Why don't you get a baby box that floats at the top of the tank and put them in there. I cannot see why that wouldn't work
what is ab baby box that floats? something like this?
if yes: do never use this for puffer-larvae!
martin