Overfeeding Puffers

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
StormySkiez
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 55G 2- 1 3/4 inch GSP's ~Bud AKA Jaws and Puff~

Re: Overfeeding Puffers

Post by StormySkiez »

JBurg wrote:I have about a 6-7in puffer it seems he is always hungry no matter what. How often should i feed him?
At that size at most every other day until his belly is a bit rounded. How often what and how much do you feed? Like PP said... is he skinny? Also, ck out the feeding articles out in the library.
55g-2 green spotted puffers 1 year old Nov 08!
20g-5 leopard danio,4 whiteskirt tetras, amanos, nerita snails, 2 neon tetras
indie
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 4 x 1.25" Green Spotted Puffers
1 x Suvatti Puffer
2 x Figure 8 Puffers
Location (country): UK

Post by indie »

Ive found with my gsps that they will eat until they explode. So at the moment I only feed until their bellys are slightly rounded and do this once per day. Between 4 1" gsps, they eat half a mussle between them, or quarter of a frozen bloodworm cube. I think they would eat until they killed themselves if i let them :shock:
MMaddox
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Our puffers:
Yellow A. mappa
B&W A. mappa
Yellow A. stellatus
T. Mbu
Mystery snail breeding tank for puffer food!
Location (country): Texas, USA

Post by MMaddox »

My Mappa will do that...he stole the zebra eel's shrimp and gorged himself so much he's still fat after not eating for two days...obnoxious puffer!
lmsmith
Puffer Fry

Post by lmsmith »

I have 2 baby GSP, and I feed them once a day 6 days a week. I've found it really hard to tell when they've had enough to eat, because as soon as they see me getting their food, their tummies start to swell. It would be awesome if someone was able to post pics of an underfed puffer, a normal one, a full one and an overfed puffer?

Thanks in advance.
FishApprentice
Puffer Fry

Post by FishApprentice »

I have a new GSP, he is about 1 1/2 inches and I have been feeding him very small MTS ( I will be going to pick up some frozen bloodworms soon ). I have been picking the smallest ones I can find from my main tank and tossing them into his smaller home. He now knows exactly what snails are now and will circle around them before picking them up. He looks as if he is trying to suck the snail out, he will pull it into his mouth, spit it part way out (looks like he is taking a smoke) and then he will swallow it whole!

Is this normal? Can his stomach digest this properly? He seems OK a day later, his stomach bulge has gone down, but it just kinda scared me at first.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

MTS are not a good snail to feed your puffer, as their shell is too hard for your puffer to crack. They have been known to chip their teeth on these snails.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
FishApprentice
Puffer Fry

Post by FishApprentice »

Damn... and of course these are infesting my main tank.... sadly I used to have thousands of pond snails in a 1g aquarium with some java moss. I never changed the water (only added it) for months and the snails kept thriving. Bah, MTS.
Puffer_holic
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Odo (GSP) and Cassie (F8)

Post by Puffer_holic »

HELP!!!...I don't know if I'm overfeeding my cute little puffers or not, but I'm definitely not underfeeding them. Lately I've been feeding them pretty big shrimps by holding the shrimp in the water and letting them eat until they're full and won't eat anymore. They usually eat a couple of bites of meat. Odo's belly gets pretty bloated (he's a pig). Is that bad? I think I may have fallen for their puppy-dog eyes saying "feed me" "feed me". Odo is a GSP and Cassie's a F8. I feed them every day...should I cut off on the feeding? I would appreciate any help and suggestions.
The only thing you should eat that smiles are goldfish crackers.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

What kind of meat? Do you mean non-seafood, like chicken or beefheart? I'm pretty sure that's not good for them...

They should be fed until their tummies are rounded. As for frequency, that depends on the size. I've heard daily when they're 1" and under, every other day up to 3", and 2 times a week after that. Don't take my word for that, though.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Puffer_holic
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Odo (GSP) and Cassie (F8)

Post by Puffer_holic »

Oh, ha ha, I mean meat off the shrimp I'm feeding them.
The only thing you should eat that smiles are goldfish crackers.
Dobiemom1
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Two Figure 8 babies

Post by Dobiemom1 »

I was fooled by my LFS into buying two Figure 8's for my daughters 5 gallon take two weeks ago. I'm a cichlid lover and haven't been intouch with the Puffer world until now. Both goobers are about a 1/2 inch and seem to always be hungry. I was feeding every other day, but now I see the 'errr' of my ways...I was feeding frozen blood worms, brine shirmp and beef heart. But after reading all the info, every day is ok? I was also told they would eat flake food, but I found out very quickly that wasn't on their meal plan. I'm angry at my LFS in so many ways right now, but I just want to get all the info figured out for them. Any non-frozen foods that are good too?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Great feeding articles in our Library. Feeding them is the least of your problems right now though. You need a much bigger tank for them. Please start a seperate thread on this in the BW puffer forum.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Dobiemom1
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Two Figure 8 babies

Post by Dobiemom1 »

Sorry, "BW" ? I've been reading a thousand things on the site over the past two hours and am learnging a lot, but BW?
Christemo
Suspended
My Puffers: 1 GSP (RIP Puffy... we tried everything we could. :( )
2 Figure 8s (Cupcake and Sprinkles)

Post by Christemo »

Dobiemom1 wrote:Sorry, "BW" ? I've been reading a thousand things on the site over the past two hours and am learnging a lot, but BW?
Brackish Water.
Two F8's, two tiny fantails and a pleco call me mommy.
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 9 DPs
3 Ottos
45 Gallon planted tank.
Location (country): Virginia, USA

Post by CaptainMorgan_SOS »

this isn't quite about over feeding, but is it ok if when my figure 8s dont eat a whole shrimp, i put it in a cup and then back in the freezer. then the next time i feed them shrimp(about every other feeding) i take that shrimp, thaw it out in cold water, and then put it on a string and suspend it in my tank for them to eat on it again(they love it on the string, theyhave to chase it around). i do this about 4 times, then if there is any shrimp left... which usually if there is, its not much(they are fatties) i throw it away. is this ok to freeze it, then thaw it, and freeze it again?