Cycling With Bio-Spira

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
cuteyiddlepuff
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: My Puffers:
29 Gallon-My GSP
30 Gallon- Two Figure 8's
20 Gallon- Figure 8 & Nerite Snail
5 Gallon-Betta

Cycling With Bio-Spira

Post by cuteyiddlepuff »

I found this article on "instant cycling" with Bio Spira, I'm sure you could use the same rules with Dr Tim's Aquatics.

http://www.flippersandfins.net/CyclingBioSpira.htm

Bio-Spira™ (from Marineland) contains the actual living bacteria responsible for nitrification in an established tank.
Bio-Spira™ is useful to:
Cycle a new aquarium.
Replenish beneficial bacteria to a damaged bio filter, such as can occur from medications.

Add more bacteria to a bio filter, such as when adding more fish.
Bio-Spira™ should not be used though as an attempt to expand a tank’s bio filter beyond its’ recommended limit. For example, if you have severely overstocked a 20-gallon tank with 6 goldfish, then adding Bio-Spira, in an effort to make the bio filter larger in an attempt to neutralize the very large amount of ammonia produced by the goldies, is not the answer.
There are separate versions of Bio-Spira™ for freshwater and saltwater tanks. You can get Bio-Spira™ in a one-ounce size to treat up to 30 gallons or three-ounce size for 90 gallons for freshwater usage and a three-ounce size for up to 55 gallons for the saltwater cycling.

Set-up a tank with filter, gravel, any decorations and heater (not needed for some goldfish). Be sure that you are using tank and filter sizes and aeration that are appropriate for the fish that you plan on housing in this tank.
Be sure to remove any carbon used in the filter or other ammonia, nitrite or nitrate absorbing pad.
Fill your tank with tap water. Bio-Spira™ works best in water temperatures of 60*-87*F (16*–31*C) and in pH ranging from 7.0 to 8.5.
Add dechlorinator/dechloraminator of choice . Water must be conditioned before using Bio-Spira™ or the bacteria will die from the chlorine or chloramines normally present in tap water. However, ammonia-removing products like Ammo-Lock and Bio-Safe, which will give the bacteria of Bio-Spira nothing to feed on, must be avoided. However, water conditioners such as AmQuel®, Prime™ and Ammonia Detox may still used and should be used if you have to neutralize chloramines in your tap water.
In order for Bio-Spira™ to work, there must be a source of ammonia, therefore most keepers add Bio-Spira when adding the fish into a new aquarium.
Be sure to shake the Bio-Spira™ bag well before you add it!
The average time for cycling when using the proper amount of Bio-Spira™ is about 1-4 days, with nitrite and ammonia levels not exceeding .25 ppm, though your mileage may vary!
Cloudiness is sometimes seen about 24-48 hours afterwards. This “bacterial bloom” will go away in a day or two, once sufficient quantities of the bacteria have settled in the gravel, filter, etc. and out of the water column.
The nitrates then slowly build, usually starting at about 5 ppm after 24 hours and ending around 20 ppm in a week or so. This rate will be dependent however on a number of factors, including the number and size of fish, live plants, the size of the tank, etc.
Some keepers do find small jumps in nitrite and ammonia (usually under 1 ppm) over a period of two weeks while the nitrate builds, then the tank becomes stable.

Since this product contains live bacteria, Bio-Spira™ is a product that requires refrigeration. If either you or your local fish store allows this product to be warmed (i.e. to room temperature) and allowed to stay there for a period of time, it may no longer be effective.
Bio-Spira™ will not work if it has been frozen because the bacteria will die.
Once the bottle has been opened, the container can be reclosed and stored in a refrigerator for up to 6 months, after which time, it may not be effective.
Antibiotics, which harm beneficial bacteria (the bio filter), should not be used. A short list of these include erythromycin, tetracycline, penicillin/amoxicillin/ampicillin, nitrofurazone and kanamycin (at higher dosages).
UV light filters will kill the bacteria in Bio-Spira™ when it remains in the water before it adheres to the gravel, filter media, tank walls, etc. A UV filter may be used 48 hours after Bio-Spira has been added to the tank.
Bio-Spira™ is safe for plants, animals, and aquatic life, and so is non-toxic and one cannot overdose with it.
Bio-Spira™ has been noted to cause minor skin irritation in people, so wash it off with soap and water if your skin comes into contact with it.
PUFFER RULES
Do not take your Puffer out of water (you can kill them)
Change water at least 1x a week
Change water immediately if there is high Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate
Monitor water levels (PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, SG,etc.)
Give your Puffer snails to wear down his/her teeth
Soak dry food with tank water/vitamin water
When buying a Puffer look for one with a fat belly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Great article about cycling

Post by Pufferpunk »

Thanks, I'm gonna sticky this.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
cuteyiddlepuff
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: My Puffers:
29 Gallon-My GSP
30 Gallon- Two Figure 8's
20 Gallon- Figure 8 & Nerite Snail
5 Gallon-Betta

Re: Cycling With Bio-Spira

Post by cuteyiddlepuff »

:D
PUFFER RULES
Do not take your Puffer out of water (you can kill them)
Change water at least 1x a week
Change water immediately if there is high Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate
Monitor water levels (PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, SG,etc.)
Give your Puffer snails to wear down his/her teeth
Soak dry food with tank water/vitamin water
When buying a Puffer look for one with a fat belly
Agnate
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: -

1 Abei Puffer [Monotrete Abei]
(Captain Abe)

Post by Agnate »

Very good article!
Did our staff successfully help you? The Puffer Forum is an incredible resource and is run completely on the donations of its viewers. Proceeds from the Puffer Forum store go towards future contests and keeping the site running. Donations may also be made via PayPal.

- Paul

40 gallon - Future home of Abei Puffer
28 gallon - 1 Abei Puffer (Captain Abe)
5 gallon - 1 Betta (Frederico)
Drix
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Shemp_
3 Figure 8's (Larry, Curly, and Moe)

Post by Drix »

having brackish tanks i picked up the Marine Bio spira, im guessing its the increase in salinity the harms the bacteria not lowering the salinity?
125 Gallon tank- 2 GSP
45 gallon Hex Tank. - 1 GSP,
29 Gallon Tank
20 Gallon Long tank. 1 F8
10 Gallon tank- empty
3 gallon tank-
125 gallon tank http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o261 ... C_0559.jpg
29 gallon tank http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o261 ... C_0557.jpg
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

What's your SG?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Drix
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Shemp_
3 Figure 8's (Larry, Curly, and Moe)

Post by Drix »

125 Gallon tank- 2 GSP
45 gallon Hex Tank. - 1 GSP,
29 Gallon Tank
20 Gallon Long tank. 1 F8
10 Gallon tank- empty
3 gallon tank-
125 gallon tank http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o261 ... C_0559.jpg
29 gallon tank http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o261 ... C_0557.jpg
marksrush
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: One GSP.
Location (country): USA

Post by marksrush »

This stuff works! Maybe not instantly, but it works. I just set up a 20 gallon marine tank, and it cycled in a week and a half - way better than a month and a half.
sharonm
Puffer Fry

Post by sharonm »

I used BioSpira on my freshwater tanks and yes, it works great! It comes as a liquid, shipping can be costly, however, the time it saves for those of us (me) that are impatient, is worth the price.
marksrush
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: One GSP.
Location (country): USA

Post by marksrush »

You used it recently in a freshwater tank? That's pretty amazing that it worked, being as it is that Bio-Spira is now only for marine aquariums.
emartin
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon lineatus - unnamed so far
Location (country): New Jersey Shore

Post by emartin »

Just so you all know, Biospira was discontinued. However, pretty much the EXACT SAME (and possibly the original) product is still available as Dr Tims Nitrifying Bacteria: http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/

Hope that helps you all. Personally even though it worked for me when I first got in the hobby, it's a waste of money when you can just borrow bacteria from another hobbyists or even the stores filter... That's what I do for all my new tanks now, I just use some media from one of my other established tanks...

~Ed
ronzzkee

Post by ronzzkee »

yeah your right thanks for having this one, i learn something new

My Puffers: Just my Brackish Figure 8

Post by kaylor »

I've got an existing Emerpor filter running, and plan to use it with a new/different tank. Since it'll include a biowheel and fliter catridge thats already in use...will this cut down my cylcing time? If so by how much. Is this what is considered existing media?

Or am I better off going with a Bio-Spira to speed up the process?
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Post by Dadof4 »

If you move the existing established filter you shouldn't really have a cycle, possibly a mini cycle, but you shouldn't go through the whole thing. This all depends on the size tank and the number of fish that the existing filter is cycled for (remember that puffers have a larger bio load). When you set up the new tank, prepare as usual, except you move the filter just prior to adding the fish. Monitor your water parameters for a week or so, to keep lookout for any signs of a mini-cycle and do water changes accordingly.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
liquid88
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by liquid88 »

So in theory it works the same in fresh and salt water?