Vacation

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Happy_Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
The new owner of a Canthigaster jactator

Vacation

Post by Happy_Puffer »

I am going to Las Vegas next March for my 21 birthday and my moms birthday. My whole family and almost all my friends are going with us. I just have one problem we planned this trip before I got the salt water tank. My little sister was going to feed my fish while I was gone but it turns out this isn't going to work out. I have 4 tanks right now that I am worried about. Usually I just get a feeder block to feed my fish while I am gone, which happens a lot since I have a house as the lake of the ozarks. This is before I got puffers. I know my vacation is about 10 months away but I want to start planning on feeding my fish. I am woried about my puffers and my salt water fish. How do I feed them while I'm away? There is really no one that I can trust to come to my house and feed my fish since my friends are going with me, and I don't know how long I am going to be gone. It could be just 4 days to a week depending on when we decied to leave. Do puffers eat off the feeder cubes for vacation? Also what about my salt water tank? Could I get a fish feeder thing that automatically feeds the fish? If I could do bloodworms in one of those, that would work for my gsp and dwarf puffer tanks but my salt water puffer doesn't eat bloodworms and I don't know/want to starve him for 4 days to a week. I am so close to not going because I am so worried but this is kinda like a family thing so its not just my birthday party. Please let me know what you guys do when on vacation.
*Katie*
The new owner of a salt water tank
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Re: Vacation

Post by Nick »

No fish will starve in only a week, not even a DP.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
Happy_Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Happy_Puffer »

I didn't think they would but I really don't want to hurt them. I know in the wild they might not eat everyday but I wouldn't think they would go a whole week without eating anything. In my salt water tank I could stock it with lots of snails and shrimp but my puffer doesn't eat the shrimp but does chomp on the snails, but when I put them in there they are gone in like 5 min. no matter how many I put in there and if he misses one he attacks it as soon as he sees it moving. I was just wondering if there was anything I could buy/do to prevent them from being hungry.
*Katie*
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

If they eat freeze dried, there's automatic feeders.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
Happy_Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Happy_Puffer »

Well my gsp eat freeze dried sometimes but they all eat frozen foods.
*Katie*
cobra1713
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cobra1713 »

well if it's ten months away and your worried about it then just start moving them all to were they will eat either freeze-dried or frozen that way if you have a feeder on the tank they know to eat the freezedried for that week
60g with 2 angels, 1 yoyo loach, Upside down catfish, Clown Loach, 1 leopard Ctenopoma, 12 black skirt tetras and a L201 Pleco

30g GSP tank (soon to be 35 gal Hex)
Happy_Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Happy_Puffer »

I have been trying to get them to eat freeze dried bloodworms but they float so they don't even notice that freeze dried food is even in there. They like to eat food that they can swim after in the tank. They like mysis shrimp and squid but this is all frozen foods. Also I am looking for frozen algea but I don't know what its called it comes in like sheets does anyone know what this is? Or does anyone feed their fish algea?
*Katie*
Jase
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: RIP Hootey :(
Location (country): USA

Post by Jase »

some people feed nori. Hootey (gsp) doesn't like it very much though.
-Jase
edmlfc1 wrote:A house without a puffer is not a home. :D
Happy_Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Happy_Puffer »

I was thinking for my salt water puffer. Thank you I will have to look for some of that.
*Katie*
t1gerbee
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x Ceylon + 1 x GSP + 1 x stars and stripes (juv) -Marine
(Non puffs-)
4 x clowns
1 x Oscar-Tropical
3 x Convicts-Tropical
1 x Map Turtle-tropical
2 x Plecs-Tropical
2 x goldfish

Post by t1gerbee »

can you get live river shrimp/ghost shrimp?

that's waht i'm planning on doing whilst i'm on honeymoon...

am away for two weeks so will put around 100 ghost shrimp in before I go, for a stars and stripes puffer and a Fu macnhu lion...

The good thing is that the shrimp stay alive cleaning the algae off the tank and get eaten slowly over time, meaning no ammonia spikes... they kind of gut load themselves with algae and bits so the puffer gets it's greens.. :-)

BUT.. i worry about evaporation.. 2 weeks = alot of evaporation...

what can i set up to drip RO water into the tank to keep the SG stable whilst i'm away.. what have others done?

thoughts?
1 x 90G Juv stars and stripes puffer, Ceylon Puffer + GSP + 2 black clowns
1 x 30G LPS Reef
1 x 30G 1 x Blind goldfish :-)
Happy_Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Happy_Puffer »

I can see about the river shrimp. Do you mean fresh water ghost shrimp? I have about 5 shrimp in the tank right now but they are salt water shrimp and all 5 are still in there. I can get live brine shrimp and I will look into the river shrimp thanks.
*Katie*
t1gerbee
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x Ceylon + 1 x GSP + 1 x stars and stripes (juv) -Marine
(Non puffs-)
4 x clowns
1 x Oscar-Tropical
3 x Convicts-Tropical
1 x Map Turtle-tropical
2 x Plecs-Tropical
2 x goldfish

Post by t1gerbee »

think maybe you call them krill in the states.. not exactly sure...

they are see-through little shrimp, cost £1 for 30 in the uk... they are brackish by nature i belive, but seem happy to live in whatever water i put them in, fresh, brackish or salt....
1 x 90G Juv stars and stripes puffer, Ceylon Puffer + GSP + 2 black clowns
1 x 30G LPS Reef
1 x 30G 1 x Blind goldfish :-)
Happy_Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Happy_Puffer »

Oh ok I will have to look that up and she what I can find and see if I can find some for when I leave thanks!!
*Katie*
Allenkain
Puffer Fry
Location (country): 1234 Somewhere Rd #987

Post by Allenkain »

Last year when i go to Florida Rental Vacation I had such a high alkalinity and a PH of around 8.5 that we rotted two minnow traps in the course of the year. We had no FA at all that year.This year we have had the same minnow trap all year but the FA is back with vengeance. I have had very little time this year to maintain the pond as much as I would have liked. Mens league golf, coaching Baseball, and the boys Paintball practice/tournaments.