Where does your puffer sleep?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
coldmachineUK
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 2x T. biocellatus
1x C. asellus

Re: Where does your puffer sleep?

Post by coldmachineUK »

My three SAPs tend to huddle in the back corner of the tank they're in, in a dip in the substrate. Although, they float a little while they're at it.

The fatter of my two F8s sleeps under an overhanging piece of fake coral I have, where he's pretty sheltered, and the smaller of the two sleeps in the hollow of a piece of rock. Weirdly, the little puffer sleeps with his back to the front of the tank, but the big fat one always peeps up through a gap in the coral so he can see outside :) He takes the longest to wake up (lazy thing!), followed by the SAPs, and then finally the smaller F8 is the earliest and quickest riser!
Did our staff successfully help you? The Puffer Forum is an incredible resource and is run completely on the donations of its viewers. Proceeds from the Puffer Forum store go towards future contests and keeping the site running. We also welcome donations!

36G: FW Planted | 53G: Brackish (F8 Puffers) | 58G: Freshwater Community (Unusual/Rare Loaches)
Interesting stock: S. mahnerti, S. vinciguerrae, S. sp. "crimson", V. maassi, N. masyai, M. guentheri, T. biocellatus, C. asellus.
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

How can I have managed not to answer this one. I always talk about my puffer's sleeping habits, or at least my Salivator's sleeping habits. Jack sleeps vertically behind the filter - both head up and head down. I've found him sleeping on his side too, and I thought he was dead. I had to stick my hand into the tank, and touch him, to be certain he wasn't.

Koseklumpen, my suvatti, sleeps under a root. Well, actually he lives under that root, and only move away from it at feeding time.

My irrubescos usually sleep behind the filter and heater. Earlier they used to sleep curled up together. They were so cute. No they change from time to another, sleeping in an algae ball, inside or under some pottery or on a plant's leafs.

Hufflepuff sleeps behind a root, in a corner of the tank.

Tiger also prefers staying under a root, or a few times under the filter.

Bolla: behind the filter.

The others I'm not quite sure of. Mostly behind the filter, I think. Or under a root.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

Socrates
Puffer Fry

Post by Socrates »

Socrates, my GSP, either sleeps behind the bogwood in the middle of the tank, near the heater, or in the densely planted lower left corner of my tank.
kxebs
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1x Fahaka, 1x Dwarf Puffer

Post by kxebs »

turtledove (GSP) sleeps in the middle of the tank, in about 3cm from the glass. It's all in the open. Maybe he's afraid of the dark :P 'cause his lights are off when i'm still behind my computer :P So in the front section of the aquarium there is still some light.

When he had just his meal and he is all fed up, he rests under some piece of driftwood. Very hard to find him here! He has made a kind of bunker to rest in :)
Daystate
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Celon/Topaz Puffer

Post by Daystate »

The other night when i came in late, I turned the light on in the room where my ceylons tank is, and he was sorta floating about, facing straight down in a clump of plants. First off i thought something was wrong but then i looked and he was fine, definatly sleepin though as he didn't seem to have a clue i was there.!!
40g community, danios,mollies,gouramis,rainbows,corys,plec,britstlenoses,
20g, Gourami tank,
54gal Ceyon Puffer
70lt baby mollies, snails (for puffer)
6g breeder tank
Jase
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: RIP Hootey :(
Location (country): USA

Post by Jase »

Hootie my GSP sleeps in a little bed he made at the base of a plant, and P-Diddy my other GSP sleeps in a ceramic rock cave thing. :P
-Jase
edmlfc1 wrote:A house without a puffer is not a home. :D
yunachin
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x A. Meleagris (Golden)
2x Tetraodon nigroviridis
1x Tetraodon lineatus
1x A. hispidus
2x Takifugu Ocellatus
9x Tetraodon biocellatus
1x Canthigaster solandri
1x Diodon Holocanthus
2x A. nigropunctatus
1x Tetraodon miurus
1x Irrubesco

Post by yunachin »

My Fugu sleeps buried in the sand. It is so cute!!
E.Ridgeway
DRRT
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: none cuz they eat coral, so i like chase wild ones

Post by DRRT »

My valentini and hawaiian perch on various objects in the tank. The plumbing, the rock, faux corals, corners of the glass. They always like to be in the upper half of the tank and never closer than ~6in.
i'm busy thinking of ways to remember what i was going to say
sparks42
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer named Chomper!

Post by sparks42 »

Chomper sleeps in that little cave thingy! (its a shot glass)
and sometimes he sleeps under the bridge !

Before we had the cave, he slept between the coloured stones

Last edited by sparks42 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pufferfreak
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by pufferfreak »

My valentini sleeps in the front right corner of the tank in a little sand nest and sometimes hes nose up in the corner.
SpockthePuffer
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: A wee GSP named Milton

Post by SpockthePuffer »

Since I've got my toby I when I wake up I run to the tank to see where he sleeps. I hadn't been able to find him so I figured he just hides.
Today I woke up and looked and figured him out! He sleeps on top of one of the rocks, kind of diagonally but changes his colors so he completely blends in with the rock! He sleeps quite out in the open and when I found him I could see his eye move but other than that he kept completely still. It was the cutest thing ever.
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth, when clearly it is Ocean." - Arthur C. Clarke

~Shannon~
10g betta & snail tank, 30g GSP named Milton, 55g sw fowlr
DRRT
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: none cuz they eat coral, so i like chase wild ones

Post by DRRT »

The other night, I saw my valentini sleeping on the tube for a suspended air stone.

Last edited by DRRT on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
i'm busy thinking of ways to remember what i was going to say
dumpythepuffer
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 2DP's -bumblebee & pepto
1GSP -dumpy
1-5 gallon FW tank
1-30 gallon BW tank
1-brand new 90 gallon SW tank

Post by dumpythepuffer »

my DPs sleep on leaves and its normally high up too. and its always the same plant
dumpy sleeps in a ornament. its actually a big bell ornament and during the day after a big meal its by the pirate ship.
“We must become the change we want to see.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mlfurniturestudio.com/
seacowz
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Puffy, my little baby GSP! <3

Post by seacowz »

Puffy sleeps in the leaf of my plant that is slightly curling and it holds him perfectly. or curled in a ball underneath the filter. :-)
eustoma
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Guam

Post by eustoma »

My dwarf puffer slept in different places for a while when I first got it but it soon settled on sleeping on a cabomba leaf. It looks so adorable just nestled in the leaf haha. Unfortunately I broke my lily pipe a few days ago while cleaning it and had to replace it with the intake from a hob filter which intakes water at a muuuch faster speed than my lily pipe intake did so it creates a pretty strong current where the cabomba is and it sleeps on the other side of the tank now.