Adding a Large Damsel to Established Tank?

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
angelstar
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Adding a Large Damsel to Established Tank?

Post by angelstar »

Hi Everyone!

I recently bought an established 110 gallon FOWLR tank (6 months old). It currently has a snowflake eel, a yellow tang (approx. 2 1/2"-3") and a stars and stripes puffer (approx. 2 1/2"-3"), which came with the tank. I also have a 55 gallon FOWLR tank that has several fish in it, including a damsel that is probably about 4" (perhaps slightly larger).

I am debating whether or not I should move my large damsel into the new tank because I am concerned about the amount of fish in the 55 gallon...plus, there is so much more space in the 110 gallon. I'm concerned that the puffer or the tang might be picked on by the damsel. Currently, the large damsel seems to be the one that gets picked on most often by smaller fish, but I'm not sure if this will be the case once it is in a new environment.

I guess my question is, because of the smaller size of the puffer and the tang, do you think the damsel will hurt either of them? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Adding a Large Damsel to Established Tank?

Post by Pufferpunk »

What species of the damsel? You are aware the puffer will eventually outgrow that tank?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
angelstar
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Re: Adding a Large Damsel to Established Tank?

Post by angelstar »

The large damsel is a yellow tail damsel fish. I actually didn't know that the puffer would outgrow the tank, but I do now! I had read something somewhere that made me think I needed to do a little research about it (that it was a possibility, but hadn't had a chance to look into it and confirm).

The 110 tank I bought came with all of the fish already in it so I hadn't done any pre-research. So sad that he will eventually grow too big. Do you have any idea how long this might take? Do they grow fairly quickly?