Tank Journal - puffers & tankmates

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: GSP: Puff Diddy
GSP: Julia *RIP*
GSP: Nan
2 ocellaris clowns (Fred & Ginger), Yellow Watchman goby (Snape) & fine-striped pistol shrimp (Blondie), lawnmower blenny (Lennie *RIP*), mandarin (Po), tailspot blenny (Basil), longnose hawkfish (Fergus), flame hawkfish (Carol), fromia (Peach), Springeri damsel (Neil)

CUC: tuxedo urchin (Spike), electric blue hermit (Hagrid), 3 turbo snails, turban snail, orange lip conch (Ron), 5 scarlet leg hermits, purple acro crab (Spot)*RIP*.
Location (country): Canada (Vancouver)

Tank Journal - puffers & tankmates

Post by Maggiec »

So it's been about 2 months since setting up the tank, and a month since fishies went in. It's going well and everyone is still with us <knock on wood>. The puffers are very happy, and when I see their intelligence and energy come alive, I realize that although it didn't seem so very cramped back then, their old tank was a small world indeed. They weren't miserable, but they weren't thriving either.

I've removed their little fake cave as I wanted to free up some open sand & they now prefer lurking in the LR anyway. They love to materialize dramatically out of the rock, haha. They are quite chill with their tankmates, even at feeding time. The clowns are more assertive now, and the goby is amazingly quick at snatching the odd bit. It's funny how they're all paired up, including the goby/shrimp. Their colours are so bright, especially Puff, who is almost gold rather than green. Hard to get a good photo as they are so active:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I have discovered that local reefers sell stuff way cheap & forsee a dangerous new shopping addiction :-P I just got a Kenya Tree & small mat of GSP for $20, and 1 head of green mutant hammer for $10. I am now looking with a critical eye at lights that came with the tank. Although I 've actually seen nice growth on the finger leather, I think it's a freshwater LED and I definitely need to upgrade. Nothing too crazy. Any comments re Current USA Marine Orbit LEDs? Just hoping to keep some easy stuff.

I'm also thinking of maybe one more fish further down the road. I like the long nose hawkfish, but is this a potential bully? My puffers are such model citizens :lol: Just out of interest, what tankmates are your puffers with?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Maggiec on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: New tank update - puffers & tankmates

Post by bertie 83 »

Long nose hawk is my favourite fish in my tank, he has never bothered anything and is huge now.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer
2 ocellaris clowns (Fred & Ginger), Yellow Watchman goby (Snape) & fine-striped pistol shrimp (Blondie), lawnmower blenny (Lennie *RIP*), mandarin (Po), tailspot blenny (Basil), longnose hawkfish (Fergus), flame hawkfish (Carol), fromia (Peach), Springeri damsel (Neil)

CUC: tuxedo urchin (Spike), electric blue hermit (Hagrid), 3 turbo snails, turban snail, orange lip conch (Ron), 5 scarlet leg hermits, purple acro crab (Spot)*RIP*.

Post by Maggiec »

That's good to hear! They seem to have a lot of personality, which attracts me more than good looks, altho I think they look really sweet too:)
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

Still up in the air re long-nose hawkfish. They sound great but I worry about my pistol shrimp even tho he's cautious. This swooping down thing concerns me a bit. The tank seems peaceful now, I'd hate to stir things up! Altho I'm sure if I see one I'll change my mind again.

I did add a tuxedo urchin a week ago. He is doing great & puffers totally ignore him. I distracted them with half a clam when I dropped him in, haha. I can't believe how white he gets the rock. He picked up a shell cos he thinks he's Jack in the Box :lol:
image.jpeg
So I'm trying something, not sure if it's going to do any good but anyway...It seems to me that because my puffers were so young when caught they didn't have a chance to really get a taste for prey, like live shrimp. I'm going to keep live prey out of their diet, instead keeping to various frozen foods. I read an article somewhere that cited a puffer tasting a dead clownfish that owner hadn't had chance to remove yet, and it started attacking the healthy clownfish. I guess it's only anecdotal but interesting nonetheless.

I'm really scouring for info re led lights - so much out there! Hope to save up for something in late spring.

Puff likes to sit in small tight spaces. Here he is this morning before he woke up to start begging for food; what a nut:
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Maggiec on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

LOL!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

So I added a lawnmower blenny, Lennie, a couple of weeks ago. She's quite a character; very assertive and no nonsense.

I'm pleased that everyone is doing fine, except for 1 snail (who was a bit sketchy to start with, hardly ever moved :? ). Even the hermit crabs. I also tried out & lost a few Rasta zoas, I'm thinking due to my lights which are meant for a freshwater tank. I've been researching & decided on a SB Reef led light. A birthday gift from my husband :D So I'll see how the puffers do in a mixed reef setting. I think it will be mostly softies, LPS. I really don't think I can handle dosing.

Lennie:
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Rasta zoas are $$$! I wouldn't spend any money on corals until you upgrade your lighting.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

Yeah, losing those zoas was a bummer. They were nice too ($35 for 10 polyps).
I think you mentioned you use led lights? They are so expensive!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Nope--T5s.

Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

I guess I am cheap. I have the birthday go ahead to buy the led lights but still haven't hit the buy button :? The high US$ is killing me.

Anyway, my daughter's bday gift to me is an electric blue hermit: Hagrid. He looks amazing & is so cool. But, he's a lot bigger than my 2 other hermits & is really leaving his mark on the aquarium. The LR is all marked up with his little scrape marks! So far he's been very peaceful & I really like him despite his work on my rock. Check out how white that entire rock is (2nd pic) after just one night!
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

I got a Tyree neon green toadstool (I think should be ok under my lights). Seems to be fine and I got it for a great price. As I was trying to document my new addition, got photobombed again! I guess they love the iphone. Haha, just love their funny faces.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Are you sure this is Tyree? Is it more green than in this photo? Mine were always Dayglow green!

Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

I think so. I saw the "mother" and it was like yours. I had just put the frag in my tank & it started to extend a little. I wanted to snap a shot to document what it looked like. Also, it's a combo of my iphone & lighting but the tips are pretty green from what I can see. Hope it's not too long until it grows those folds - I really like that look. Anyway, it's a $15 frag :)
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Re: Tank updates - puffers & tankmates

Post by Maggiec »

Lots to update...

Sadly, I had my first fishy loss. The electric blue hermit cleaned the tank so well that about a week later, I realized my lawnmower blenny was looking skinny & wasn't browsing the rocks anymore. I researched & tried feeding all kinds of things, but she wouldn't touch anything & passed away. I was so stressed & bummed I couldn't help her. I really learned a lesson that I won't get a fish again that might have finicky eating habits :(

I got my new LEDs - an SB Reef light! I really like it & excited about all the new possibilities it brings. My coral look completely different! Even my husband, who teases about how much everything costs, thinks it was worth it :shock: The only thing is, the blues play havoc with my (lousy) camera so I gotta figure that out. I still have it dialled down to let corals acclimate.
image.jpeg
Added a few coral. Armor of God zoas, which are doing well - already a couple new polyps. Tried some Rastas again & they are good this time - whew! After a week I see a tiny new polyp. Also a blue sympodium, which has great colour. (Sorry for really poor picture quality)
image.jpeg
The new lights resulted in some algae on the sand, so I got a fighting conch. He is really cool & very active. I see hair algae for the first time, and that made me wish Lennie was around to enjoy it. Too spooked to get another one though.
I took the plunge & got a beautiful rbta. Couldn't believe the tiny shrunken thing on a quarter-sized rock expanded to a 4" beauty. Colours are amazing especially under blues - just glows fiery orangey red. It moved to a great spot & gobbles hungrily when fed. Of course, clowns have ignored it :-?
image.jpeg
I've been keeping my eye out for a longnose hawkfish & when I saw one, couldn't resist. I got a discount but at $45 he's the most expensive thing in the tank :lol: I love this guy - so cool looking & full of personality. So funny how he cocks his head to look at something or yawns, just like a dog! The puffers checked him out & they're all chill. Similar temperaments, curious, unafraid & always up for a meal!
He also likes to sit on stuff:
image.jpeg
Even the toadstool, which is a bit small for him & made it shrink up, haha.
image.jpeg
The guys chillin'...
image.jpeg
Anyway, having a great time enjoying this amazing hobby & learning lots. Hope everyone is enjoying the same...
Last edited by Maggiec on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka aka Mr Big Puff
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle
My children name the fish
Location (country): Ireland

Re: Tank updates - puffers & tankmates

Post by pokeystar »

That looks like a great set up.