Upgrading moving/transferring tank.....

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
supgirl
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 3 GSP Puffers
1 Valentini Puffer
4 Red Legged Hermit Crabs
Location (country): USA
Midwest

Upgrading moving/transferring tank.....

Post by supgirl »

So, after 3+ months of "swimming" with my fish, my Husband and I decided it was time to look at better options. I am only 5 feet tall and the current situation just wasn't working (24 inches high tank + 3 foot high stand = huge step stool, in the tank up to my armpits everyday and wet all the time). I looked at numerous tanks on CL, but because of our limited space, we had to keep the length of the entire setup at 5 feet. I wanted the height of the tank, 20 inches or less and wanted to it be over 100g if i was going to go through the entire ordeal of tank transfers. So the end result is a 110g tank (20.5 inches high!!) with a 28 inch high stand. To match our Great room furniture, my Husband chose to build the cabinet (to save money & be solid maple). Definitely didn't save money :lol: but it is a beauty and it only took 4 more trips to Menard's than he projected and a few days longer than he planned.

So I have the tank set up, black Tahitian sand/substrate for the bottom. 50lbs of base rock plus 40lbs of live rock from the Puffs tank. I moved all I could that didn't have livestock permanently attached. The sump/fuge is running and I have 1 huge 40lb flat shelf rock curing in a tub.

Here are my main questions:
Will I be going through a whole cycle again and should I add bio spira?

What is the best way to move the corals, fish and the remaining life forms? All at once or start with corals and then fish, crabs, clams, snails etc.?

I want to use the current skimmer on my new tank, but it is rated for 65g (Coral life super skimmer) in the sump, will I be okay for now? I will be using my 2 hydor koralia power heads for the time being, but they were 750's and I will probably need to upgrade in the near future.

Any other suggestions or concerns would be appreciated.

As always, Thank you for your help and knowledge!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Upgrading moving/transferring tank.....

Post by Pufferpunk »

Are you putting the tank in a different spot so everything in the old tank can stay safe, until moved? The most sensitive things in the tank are the corals/clams. The fish will be easiest to catch is all rock/corals are out of the tank.

You're gonna need a much bigger skimmer. Look at the Octopus or ASM series, in sump skimmers. Get the largest skimmer that you can fit into that sump.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
supgirl
Dwarf Puffer
1 Valentini Puffer
Midwest

Post by supgirl »

The new tank is right next to the old one, so it was pretty easy to transfer the rock over. I have left the corals and fish and the rest of the livestock in the old tank until I hear the feedback from you all. The new tank is just running right now with the rock, sand and sump. I have one of the power heads in each tank until it is complete. I will start looking at new skimmers now. The overflow is in the center with a flow on each side, so that made it easier to set up the rocks.
Should I do corals, crabs or fish first?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Like I said,fish go last--you're never gonna be able to catch them with the rock/corals in the tank. How much of the rock is now? How long has it been in the new tank? Have you tested the parameters with the new rock in there for a few days?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

supgirl
Dwarf Puffer
1 Valentini Puffer
Midwest

Post by supgirl »

Oh thanks P.P. I didn't get the fish go last in the first post. All rock is out of the tank except for 2 large pieces that have corals glued to them and some additional ones I placed there for temp purposes. I was just getting ready to test the parameters. The rock from the old tank was just put in yesterday. The base rock was put in 2 days ago. I would say at this moment, there is about 90lbs of rock total in the new tank. When I add the additional pieces from the old tank and the 40 lb shelf piece (when it is done curing) I will have about 150 lbs of rock total.

Looks like I will need to go with the ASM G1x skimmer due to the height of the reef octopus. I don't have enough clearance to get the collection cup off easily with the height of the Reef Octopus. Is the ASM a good one in your opinion?

Thanks for all your expertise!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Just for reference, I have a G-2 on my 90g. Get the LARGEST skimmer that will fit under your tank. There is no new live rock to the system? How long has the base rock been dry?

supgirl
Dwarf Puffer
1 Valentini Puffer
Midwest

Post by supgirl »

The base rock was this stuff.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-live-seed- ... 23295877a0

Correct, no NEW live rock.

The G3 rated to 250g and within my budget, is this sufficient?

Also, parameters:
HPH: 8.2
Am: 0
N02: 0
N03: 0
Now on to the other ones......
P03
Ca
KH
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

You are good to go, the only thing that would complicate is new live rock which you dont have. Move the rock and corals then the fish as pp stated.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Get the measurements of that skimmer & make SURE you can fit it between the top of your sump & the bottom of your stand.

supgirl
Dwarf Puffer
1 Valentini Puffer
Midwest

Post by supgirl »

So got the Reef Octopus XPSSS(super space saver) 1000. Would like to have gotten a bigger one, but the larger the size, the taller the unit. For now, it will have to do. Got it in the sump and its been going thru the break in cycle. Tank has been great, water parameters have been staying at 0 in the ones required and in the correct ranges for the PH, and KH. The corals are doing great as are the fish. So how often and how much do you want to do a water change on one of these tanks when the parameters are going great? I would assume at least a couple times per month with a 25-30%? Sorry for these questions, but if you talk to LFS and read the Internet, many seem to feel if everything is running smooth, then leave it alone. You are the experts I TRUST!

Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I do 30% monthly, while cleaning the sump, with the system off. My sump is 20g, when full.

supgirl
Dwarf Puffer
1 Valentini Puffer
Midwest

Post by supgirl »

Thanks PP! I'm glad to know I'm not crazy for assuming I still need to do water changes periodically. I have the Eshopps RS-200 sump with dual filter bags. I assume I should take these off, swish around in the drained water and make sure all the "junk/crap) inside the bag is removed and place back on the sump. Do you replace these at some point (unless they are falling apart) and I would assume you only do 1 at a time?

I think I read in a previous thread, you sell corals? Do you post here or in your local reefers club? I would be very interested in hearing more! I'm pretty close to Chicago and will be needing more beauties to start filling my tank :D

Thanks again!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I don't like filter bags. If you insist on using them, switch them out & clean them 2x/week. I've seen some pretty bad flooding if you don't.

supgirl
Dwarf Puffer
1 Valentini Puffer
Midwest

Post by supgirl »

What is your recommendation to use in place of these bags? They are pretty gross looking, but as a newbie, I was just using what came with the sump :?
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

I don't have a marine tank but I believe a good substitute would be filter floss.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon