bubble Magnus skimmer ?

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

bubble Magnus skimmer ?

Post by PufferMe! »

So, I have a Bubble Magnus skimmer in my sump. I've wondered how often to empty the collection cup. Is it better to let it fill up, or clean it and empty it every couple days? Do people just empty the cup, and clean it out . . .how often??

Thanks for any tips. :D

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: bubble Magnus skimmer ?

Post by Pufferpunk »

I empty mine when it starts to smell, at about 1" full. I always clean it, because the bubbles form better when the neck is clean. Use a $ store bottle brush.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I empty mine when it starts to smell, at about 1" full. I always clean it, because the bubbles form better when the neck is clean. Use a $ store bottle brush.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish

Post by PufferMe! »

Pufferpunk wrote:I empty mine when it starts to smell, at about 1" full. I always clean it, because the bubbles form better when the neck is clean. Use a $ store bottle brush.
Thanks! I'm glad to know the bubbles form better when it's clean. That was what I wasn't sure of

Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA

Post by Terrance »

Which version of the bubble magnus did you buy? I'm thinking about getting a Curve if needed.
Kind regards,
Terrance
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Solandri

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Terrance wrote:Which version of the bubble magnus did you buy? I'm thinking about getting a Curve if needed.
+1

I have the same question as well, you've probably seen the mention of skimmers lately in my progression thread.

Of course, on top of which one, your thoughts and experience with it so far and any experience with other skimmers in comparison?

I can't remember if it was mentioned when it comes to your setup, but did you get this skimmer new or did it some with your tank and all?
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by PufferMe! »

I got this skimmer with my tank, so it's not the newest :) It's a NAC 3.5 It's a great skimmer. Very quiet and seems to do a great job. Just did a water change yesterday, even though I'm still getting reading of 0 nitrates, after 8 weeks from set up. The downside of this one, as I've also read in reviews, is the cup is difficult to get off, and you have to be careful you don't spill what is in it, trying to empty it, lol. It does have a tube you can use to empty the contents, but I don't bother with that. I'm guessing newer models have this problem fixed. I only had one other skimmer before this, and it was the Aqua Remora C, which I hated because it was so loud, and of course it was a HOB skimmer

*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Solandri

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

PufferMe! wrote:I got this skimmer with my tank, so it's not the newest :) It's a NAC 3.5 It's a great skimmer. Very quiet and seems to do a great job. Just did a water change yesterday, even though I'm still getting reading of 0 nitrates, after 8 weeks from set up. The downside of this one, as I've also read in reviews, is the cup is difficult to get off, and you have to be careful you don't spill what is in it, trying to empty it, lol. It does have a tube you can use to empty the contents, but I don't bother with that. I'm guessing newer models have this problem fixed. I only had one other skimmer before this, and it was the Aqua Remora C, which I hated because it was so loud, and of course it was a HOB skimmer
Thanks!

Its looking like the Bubble Magus will be the best one for my setup. Its the footprint that is limiting me more than I expected.