planning on 2 Oscallaris clowns today w GSP

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

planning on 2 Oscallaris clowns today w GSP

Post by PufferMe! »

:? Okay, I'm a bit nervous about this. My GSP and my one yellow tail damsel continue to exist in my 75 gallon. My GSP is around 3". I don't know if I mentioned it, but I got an entire new tank, that is drilled so I have the refugium underneath (15 gallons) and a NAC 3.5 skimmer. Getting rid of the HOB stuff made such a difference. I'm at 3 weeks since I changed the tank over, and have 0 nitrates. I also now have 90 lbs of LR. So, my GSP leaves my corals alone, and "seems" like a nice puffer :lol: I'm planning on adding 2 clownfish today, and hope for good results. I'm wondering if I should take the puffer out and put him in a bucket, let the clownfish get situated, and then put the puffer back in? Any thoughts? I just don't like the look of the Tomato clown, and really want the Oscallaris.

Gwen
Last edited by PufferMe! on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: planning on 2 Oscallaris clowns today w GSP

Post by bertie 83 »

Please bear in mind clowns can be evil nippy beggars so you may need to separate them. I would not advise stressing your puffer out by removing him, simply give him a large meal before adding them and keep well fed for a couple of days and hope they do not fall into his food category lol
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

My GSPs killed 1 ocellaris the 1st night I put the pair in with them. I returned the remaining fish. I had better luck with a tomato clown. But I would like to suggest getting more of the yellow-tails. They are schooling fish. Then, maybe add a tomato. How about another GSP?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish

Post by PufferMe! »

PP, I saw an older post where you said the GSP killed a clown :( I don't want another GSP. If I could find a good home, I'd place the one I have. Mostly because I want a nice marine tank, and don't want to worry about the "killing" :lol:

How old was your GSP when it killed the clownfish? Oh, and another fish I won't get more of is the damsel. Started with 3 and beside one that I guess my GSP bit, maybe because he was being harrassed by the others??? Than the one started relentlessly picking on the 2nd, until his poor fins were shredded. I gave him to the fishstore, God knows what happened to him. One of those devils is enough :)

gwen

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

The puffer sounds like a killer. If you want a nice SW tank, how about housing the GSP separately & use the 75 for something else you like? Maybe even a reef tank?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

You dont want your GSP anymore? :(

Usually if they are kept well fed they are less likely to kill. One of mine had a period where it was extremely aggressive to the others in the tank until I developed a strategy to keep them all well fed. Now he is just as "tame" as the others.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by PufferMe! »

I only have one 75 gallon, I sold the other. So, I've gotten the 2 clownfish and so far so good. The one I'm most worried about is the stupid damsel. She has charged them many times and nipped at them, but all seems to be calming down now. I think the damsel wanted to establish its territory. I did try to catch her, but to no avail. They are so fast, and as soon as she sees the net, she just goes under the live rock.

I'm not too worried about the puffer at this point. He's showing no real interest in the clownfish. He'll stay as long as he behaves himself. I like him, and I feel an obligation to provide him the best care, but one day if he decides to eat my corals or the fish, he'll be re-homed.

Gwen

RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Many clownfish are at least potentially killers. They are not sweet friendly little fish. A few species are moderately "safe", but also cannot hold their space with stronger fish.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by PufferMe! »

Thanks. My understanding of the Ocallarius, is they are "community fish" and can nip at passive fish that wonder by their territory. That won't be the case in my tank. I'd like to see them host by large frogspawn, but so far they show no interest in that. They swim all over happily. They will be the most passive. It's my yellow tail that does "charge" them, but they seem unfazed by it. I tried catching the yellowtail, but like I figured, it's impossible. Way to many areas for it to go between/behind, and they are so fast! They all seem to be fine together. My gsp is leaving them alone, which I'm happy about. :)

Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Post by Pufftastic »

RTR wrote:Many clownfish are at least potentially killers
So: Not like Nemo, huh? :lol:
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

More like Captain Nemo than Nemo. Most clowns are nasty critters if paired. I got my stainless mesh gloves and dry-box gloves to protect my hands from clownfish. Some of them make Fahakas look friendly.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Meanest fish in my house, is a tomato clownfish.

Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

Post by Tim »

Seems like my pair of ocellaris are a bunch of wusses, they are mortally afraid of my hands and leave other fish alone, I even think they are friends with the 4 stripe damsel as they pretty much spend every night close together
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Solandri
Location (country): USA

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Glad to hear everyone is getting along, hope it lasts.
Tim wrote:Seems like my pair of ocellaris are a bunch of wusses, they are mortally afraid of my hands and leave other fish alone, I even think they are friends with the 4 stripe damsel as they pretty much spend every night close together
Give them time, :lol: I have a pair exactly like yours and up until recently I thought the same of mine. Mine had been getting braver, not hiding and all, but didn't show any aggression until this morning. I was doing some rearranging with the aquascaping, which took me a little while, and my orange clown (larger of the two) decided I had had my arms in the tank too long and nipped me..3 times :shock: