What kind of algae is this and how can I get rid of it?

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Green bay, WI, U.S.

What kind of algae is this and how can I get rid of it?

Post by LongGrain »

Is this hair algae? At first I thought it was bubble algae but it doesnt seem to be, it just has some gas bubbles clinging to it I think. Its not running rampant in my tank, these two pictures show the extent of it, but if I can i'd like to get rid of it, not sure where it even came from, it was never in here before, and I havent introduced anything that would have it.

I was thinking about an emerald crab would eat it, but i would have to order one of those from live aquaria as I do not believe anywhere local has them.
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Solandri
Location (country): USA

Re: What kind of algae is this and how can I get rid of it?

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

I'm relatively new to saltwater, just got my tank set up a few months ago and the only issue I've dealt with so far is diatoms, so I wouldn't want to take a guess.

However, I thought this link may help you identify before someone else comes along who can identify from the picture. It describes each algae (what they feel like, removal, causes, etc) and provides pictures.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?o ... &Itemid=81

And just found this site

http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibra ... ctionID=14

Good luck identifying and removing!
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

If it is a very small amount then I would leave it be. It will be doing you a favour by removing the excess nutrient that caused it to start. There is only 1 way to rid your tank of algae and that is finding what has caused it in the first place. Reducing the amount of light may help, thorough testing of your water would likely give us a better clue to the imbalance causing it. Some shrimp will graze on haiir algae too
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
sbw
Puffer Fry
Location (country): england

Post by sbw »

looks like diatom algae. almost certainly caused by phosphate, check your levels, even a trace can cause a bloom