RO/DI Unit suggestions?

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

RO/DI Unit suggestions?

Post by Tim »

I have this small RO/DI Unit that maybe gives me a single 20 liter bucket in about 10 hours :lol:, which, if truth be told is a problem, since I have to hook it up to the faucet in the bathroom. That means no washing your hands for 10 hours :p.

I've given up on using it, but algaes are a menace without it :(.

So.... I am looking for a larger unit, mostly because I have a new 140 ~ 200 gallon system in the works :D. Now, I figured I would purchase the first fill up at the LFS, but doing a water change with a RO/DI unit that gives me 5 ~ 6 gallons in 10 hours or so seems ridiculous, not to mention the water refill because of evaporation.

I am looking for suggestion on a good unit. I think I should look for something between 150 to 400 GPD, but I have no idea really. I don't mind importing from the US or wherever else as long as shipping isn't $500 like at marinedepot (for a $90 overflow box :shock:).

The new unit will get its own water line in the washroom. So no more toilet issues :)
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: RO/DI Unit suggestions?

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Tim
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tim »

United States & Canada only sadly enough :( , but I'll keep it in mind via myus.com or something similar.

Also what stages should I look for. I see various sediment filters 10µ, 5µ or 1µ for instance. I am assuming having a 5µ & 1µ will mostly help the 1µ last longer, is the 1µ even interesting for reef aquariums?

On a side note, I've seen a few RO units that were 8 or 9 stages that had a re-mineralization stage, is such a thing interesting at all?

The larger tank will be a coral reef tank (assuming they don't have a porc the day I go buy corals, might decided he's too darn cute to pass up on :lol: ).
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sorry, I didn't look where you're located. Try Ebay.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Tim
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Tim »

Anyone have any thoughts on http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Stage-RO-DI-A ... 84bc6974d3 ?

Would be either the 150 or 200 gpd version. Is it useful to have that many DI stages btw?

(Most RO/DI units from the US are half the price they are here, if not less, but even after shipping and import tax it will still be cheaper)