Tank Progression: 60 gallon

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Solandri
Location (country): USA

Re: Tank Progression: 60 gallon

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

supgirl wrote:
Any other foods I'm overlooking for a toby/smaller puffer? I remember worms being mentioned, which I can try, I'll just have to see where I can get them first. Just expected her to eat a bit better or be more aggressive with food than she is. Also expected her to eat enough at a time to see her stomach get rounded. I've got a clam thawing in the fridge so that'll be my next try tomorrow.
I feel your pain GSP Fan, I have a Toby (Valentini) too and she has been such a joy these past 6 weeks, but man oh man is she a picky eater. She comes to the front anytime I walk by the tank and fans her tail and gives me those big blue puppy dog eyes.

I have tried raw shrimp, clams, squid, silver slides, live worms, snails, ghost shrimp (numerous live ones in the tank with her and unless I catch one and feed it to her, she pretty much leaves them alone). I have hung sea weed in her tank and she swims up, looks at it and swims away. I've tried frozen peas and she will occasionally pick at it, but the ghost shrimp enjoy them. I've tried not feeding her for a couple days, but feel so guilty when she keeps coming to the front.

I think she mostly wants a buffet. She will eat 4-6 bites of any of the items above and swim off, do a couple laps and come back for more, but unless it is something completely different, she'll look at me with this pissy look and swim off. This goes on a couple times before I've had enough and put everything away. BUT if I give her brine shrimp or mysis shrimp, she will eat for as long as I will feed her. Not sure what to think....

It definitely sounds like we are in a similar situation, though I believe your Valentini may be eating better than my Solandri. I've seen her take mysis and squid into her mouth but I've also seen her spit both back out, not sure how much of either she has ate. I was feeding a little of both on the days I fed hoping to get her used to those foods while I obtained others, also because my other stock will eat them as well. Then theres always the algae sheet on the days I feed as well.

She is very outgoing now, where at the beginning she was quite shy, didn't take her long to open up. She also is up a bit at night now, I see her swimming around quite often as I'm usually up and have tried feeding at night as well. The table shrimp one night, just pecked at it some but that was it. She did eat a small piece of krill one night when I held it in front of her with forceps. There are snails, hermits, and two peppermint shrimp in the tank she has yet to eat. One of the shrimp even climbed on the krill that night and she did not seem to notice. Odd.

I have not tried ghost shrimp, none of my LFSs carry them, I'd have to see what they could order. I'm more worried about some crunchier foods though. I've got some ramshorn snails, set up a tank for breeding them (back when I was going to get a GSP). I hadn't tried them with her and wasn't sure if there would be much of an issue feeding freshwater snails to a marine puffer.

I'll be trying clam tomorrow and will look into getting worms.

Like I've said, I just really thought she'd be more aggressive with eating. My clowns and wrasse are much more interested in food than she is.

I've went 2-3 days often without trying foods as thats been my feeding schedule and that hasn't helped with her eating habits either.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Keep in mind a Foxface has a stinging dorsal fin. found out the hard way... ouch! I do keep one with my valentini.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Pufferpunk wrote:Keep in mind a Foxface has a stinging dorsal fin. found out the hard way... ouch! I do keep one with my valentini.
Curious, what did that feel like, similar to a bee sting or something? I know it could and would affect people differently especially if any allergies were to come into play.

That I do know. Its something that kinda worries me about the Foxface, though I'd think it wouldn't be hard to avoid for myself.

I just didn't know if it really posed a threat to the puffer like I know I've read about the lionfish. More so in terms of if the puffer would be as likely to go after a foxface and get injured as with a lionfish. Seemed safer just because of the differences of the bodies of both the lion foxface.

I've just like the fish since I first saw it but wouldn't have put one in the 60g.

Also, any insight on what I've posted regarding the feeding and such with my toby would be appreciated. I've read everything on this site, including the article about difficult to feed puffers. I'm thinking it might be beneficial to go ahead and treat for internal parasites but I've got to find a suitable food that she'll eat well first. She seems fine other than being picky at eating, seems she may be getting a little thin, but I haven't seen any obvious signs of parasites like with her expelling any or anything.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Curious, what did that feel like, similar to a bee sting or something?
Yes, pretty much.

I did a heavy WC on that tank, stirring up the detritus off the rock work with a big pump. A bit of chaos ensued with the fish. One of the tobys got stung. I didn't realize what had happened until the next day, when the puffer had died for no apparent reason. :( That's where I got stung, too. I totally had forgotten about that toxic fin.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Hope to make it to Lowes tomorrow and pick up what plumbing I need to get the overflow situated. Still need to make a final decision on the skimmer as well. I have been leaning towards the Bubble Magus because it is smaller but I want to be certain before I make a purchase.

Once the overflow is plumbed as ready I'll be ready to switch over tanks. The only thing that may delay it further is making sure I have enough time in one stretch to get it done. I'll need some help moving tanks and some help with my daughter as well. I know she'll likely try to be into everything, what a mess that would be.

Anyway, some pictures..

Some of the corals after feeding...

Trachys

Sun

Clam was a hit! :D (excuse the quality, phone camera does not react well to actinics. did some editing to help)

Might be hard to make out but all the fish made it in this photo :lol:

Pufferpunk wrote:
Curious, what did that feel like, similar to a bee sting or something?
Yes, pretty much.

I did a heavy WC on that tank, stirring up the detritus off the rock work with a big pump. A bit of chaos ensued with the fish. One of the tobys got stung. I didn't realize what had happened until the next day, when the puffer had died for no apparent reason. :( That's where I got stung, too. I totally had forgotten about that toxic fin.
Ah, okay. I can see how something like that could be overlooked after having the fish for some time.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I sure they look just as good, after the upgrade.

Will you be running the tank with FW, after putting together the overflow?

*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Pufferpunk wrote:I sure they look just as good, after the upgrade.

Will you be running the tank with FW, after putting together the overflow?
I'm so nervous about loosing fish/corals with the upgrade. I do feel somewhat better about it because I was able to run the tank with freshwater without having to move it into the place of the 60g. So nothing should have to be in any tubs/buckets overnight or anything.

I had about forgot, but I've got to see what I'm doing in terms of securing the light in the canopy as well.

Yeah I will. Its still currently setting with freshwater in the tank. I shouldn't have to empty it to adjust the plumbing in the overflow. I'm thinking that all I really need to do is add an extension of PVC to keep the water level higher thus reducing the noise. I'll let it run for a while after just to make sure everything is in order. Terrified of something going wrong after I've broken down the 60g when the fish/corals are stuck in buckets/tubs.

I'm thinking I'll try to get things switched over on Friday. I'd like to sooner since I should have things ready but don't believe I'd have the time. I'll be off from work and my mom will be free to help with both moving things and with watching my daughter. I *think* the two of us could lift the tanks and stands. If not I'll have to wait until my boyfriend is off work later that evening.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Always great to have an extra set of hands... Moms can be very calming, too.

*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Pufferpunk wrote:Always great to have an extra set of hands... Moms can be very calming, too.
Yeah, definitely true. My mom and I have always been pretty close and she helps out so much with my daughter.

I'll need help at least for moving the tanks/stands. I think I'll be okay on my own with everything else. I also don't know anyone around me that would know a thing about the process. The aquascaping is what I feel will take the longest.

In terms of the overflow, see any issue with just extending the height of that PVC pipe by adding another piece instead of replacing the whole piece?

I'm not sure what would change, what I would need to do differently/additionally, if I had to replace it all. Just don't want to cause any issues with the function of it all or anything.

The 80lbs of live rock I got off the seller is still sitting in those 5g buckets he brought it in. I had almost forgot about it. I think I'll wait until after moving everything over when I'll have a free tub and be able to just use one container for curing and monitoring the levels. I'm not really sure where the rock will stand in terms of die off. It's been in water but without a heater and circulation.
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

Post by PufferMe! »

Wow, best of luck on your upgrade! I know someone who buys tanks from people, and re-sells the stuff. He keeps live rock in a tub with no heater, and he says that is not a problem. You should though buy a cheap pump and have that running in the tubs. The no water movement could be a problem.

Can wait to see the finished product! Cute shots of the fish :)

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

PufferMe! wrote:Wow, best of luck on your upgrade! I know someone who buys tanks from people, and re-sells the stuff. He keeps live rock in a tub with no heater, and he says that is not a problem. You should though buy a cheap pump and have that running in the tubs. The no water movement could be a problem.

Can wait to see the finished product! Cute shots of the fish :)

Thanks on both!

I'm both excited and nervous about the upgrade. I feel a little better knowing now that I won't have to leave the fish/corals in tubs overnight like I would have initially to run the test with freshwater first.

I'll definitely set that rock up in one of those tubs after the move, with a heater and powerhead. I just need those items for everything thats in the tank that I'll be moving over. I'll monitor the levels and all for a bit and not add the rock directly into the tank. I didn't think the lack of heater would be a huge problem but thats some reassurance. Happy I was able to find some live rock over craigslist.

Hope everything is going well with your tank! You got the blue tang (Dory) right? Would love to see pictures of him/her. Thats one of the few tangs I like.

I like this tang, for one of the smaller ones more suitable for my tank, but apparently its not in stock very often at all. I haven't been able to find it in stock anywhere online.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... catid=3130
Last edited by *GSP*Fan* on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I learned a cool trick: when the ammonia gets too high in the tubs you are curing your rock in, do a WC with the water from your tank & put the fresh SW into your tank.

PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

Post by PufferMe! »

Hope everything is going well with your tank! You got the blue tang (Dory) right? Would love to see pictures of him/her. Thats one of the few tangs I like.
Okay, here are 2 pictures. I absolutely love this fish! I had a chance to buy a yellow tang for $20, but instead for $20 got a Coral Beauty, already full size. I'm not a big fan of the yellow tang. Just a "yellow" fish :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I used to think the same but I <3 my yellow tang! Tons of personality & really stands up to the bully of the tank: Convict tang.

*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

PufferMe! wrote:
Okay, here are 2 pictures. I absolutely love this fish! I had a chance to buy a yellow tang for $20, but instead for $20 got a Coral Beauty, already full size. I'm not a big fan of the yellow tang. Just a "yellow" fish :)

So pretty!

The coral beauties are one of the angels I like but I'm just afraid to have another fish that is likely to nip at corals. Especially since I've gotten lucky with the puffer so far.

I've been looking at some tangs and debating on which one or if I want to add one. Really like the one you've got.