Tank Progression: 60 gallon

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

Re: Tank Progression: 60 gallon

Post by PufferMe! »

The Coral Beauty I got had lived in a tank full of corals, and never had a problem. That is why I decided to take him.

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Solandri
Location (country): USA

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

PufferMe! wrote:The Coral Beauty I got had lived in a tank full of corals, and never had a problem. That is why I decided to take him.
Thats great!

If I was to find a coral beauty or flame that had been in a reef, not messing with corals, I'd definitely add him to my tank.

My LFS had both a few weeks ago but neither had been with corals.

They actually had another flame angel in one of their tanks, set up as reef, but nothing in that tank is for sale.
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

After some measuring it seems the Bubble Magus will be my best bet based on the footprint, price too.

Now which of these two?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Bubble_Magus ... NW-vi.html

Curve 5

or

Curve 7

(it wouldn't let me link to each skimmer, just has to be selected from the drop down menu)

I like the idea of having a skimmer that could handle a larger set up in the future but don't want to go too far overboard and cause any issues with my current set up.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I am not familiar with this brand. If I were you, I'd contact Marine Depot & tell them about your tank & the dimensions of your cabinet & sump to be absolutely sure you are getting a skimmer that will fit in & out easily. They are very nice over there. Also, they have an Ebay store. For some reason, their products are cheaper on there. Also, look on Amazon--free shipping for most anything there.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

So I did call and speak with someone with Marine Depot.

Both of the Bubble Magus would fit with the size of my sump and cabinet, it would just be my choice in terms of the rating as to which one I went for.

I had also been looking at the different Reef Octopus models, since I'm running a Reef Octopus currently and I do like it. The biggest issue with those was the footprint of the skimmer with the rating I would need.

The Reef Octopus Diablo 6 Inch 160 XS Space Saver (160 Gallon) In Sump Protein Skimmer w/ Gate Valve will fit.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Octopus ... 71-vi.html

The step up from this one will not, it'd be a very tight fit at the least. I hate that as I would like to go up a rating and be able to stick with the Reef Octopus at the same time.

The guy I spoke with had good things to say about both and said he runs a smaller Bubble Magus on his setup.

So now is up to both brand and rating. Whether it would be best to go with the Reef Octopus with the 160 gallon rating or have the option of a larger rating with the Bubble Magus that would be able to fit in my setup.

I just didn't want to skimp on the gallon rating for my current setup and even be able to use the same skimmer without any issues when I was to go up to a 125g or so.

I didn't expect the footprint to be preventing me from having as many options, figured it'd be price over anything. I just haven't been able to find many options of a skimmer with a smaller footprint for a gallon rating I want period, even if I was to go up in price range.

Oh, and I have checked Amazon, Ebay, etc with ever skimmer I've thought would stand a good chance on being the final decision in terms of finding the best price.
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict

Post by Terrance »

This thread is so long that I never bothered reading it. I saw your other post about the collection cup, which prompted me to check out this thread.

Anyways, I think you will have a hard time findings reviews comparing both magnus and reef octopus because not many people have owned both. As far a pump, I think the sicce pump (RO) is better than the ROCK - SP2000 (BM) since the sicce is more well known in the states. I can't even google the BM pump. Hopefully, if you keep up with the maintenance, then the BM pump will last forever. It makes me a little skeptical since the pump for skimmers is the most important aspect. The RO sicce pump are OK, average pump. I hope the BM pump is at the same quality.

As far as overall skimmer choice, I wanted a RO until I saw reviews for the Curve. If I opt get a skimmer for my 120g, then I'd go for a Curve. I think it will be more quiet and economical, based on youtube videos. On certain website, the Curve 7 cost around $230 including shipping. The diablo you showed your link cost over $300 including shipping. Its not that big of a difference in price IMO. In the end, they are both good average skimmers, but I will go for the Curve.
Kind regards,
Terrance
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Terrance wrote:This thread is so long that I never bothered reading it. I saw your other post about the collection cup, which prompted me to check out this thread.

Anyways, I think you will have a hard time findings reviews comparing both magnus and reef octopus because not many people have owned both. As far a pump, I think the sicce pump (RO) is better than the ROCK - SP2000 (BM) since the sicce is more well known in the states. I can't even google the BM pump. Hopefully, if you keep up with the maintenance, then the BM pump will last forever. It makes me a little skeptical since the pump for skimmers is the most important aspect. The RO sicce pump are OK, average pump. I hope the BM pump is at the same quality.

As far as overall skimmer choice, I wanted a RO until I saw reviews for the Curve. If I opt get a skimmer for my 120g, then I'd go for a Curve. I think it will be more quiet and economical, based on youtube videos. On certain website, the Curve 7 cost around $230 including shipping. The diablo you showed your link cost over $300 including shipping. Its not that big of a difference in price IMO. In the end, they are both good average skimmers, but I will go for the Curve.
Understood, it is quite long, though the skimmer talk didn't begin until recently after purchasing the 90g for an upgrade.

Thanks for the reply. The other post, about the collection cup, wasn't me actually. I did intend to ask that member about their Bubble Magus though.

After beginning to research in sump skimmers it is definitely apparent that the pump is very important and what makes up the majority of the cost of the skimmer. I have had a hard time finding much in terms of reviews, especially comparing both. However, I've read good reviews about both there is just more out there about the Reef Octopus. Even the guy I spoke with from Marine Depot today said he ran one and that they were good skimmers. He also brought up the Reef Octopus as well which I had been looking into. That mainly came down to the issue of the footprint of the skimmer, sump size, gallon rating, etc. being an issue with getting a Reef Octopus. I do really like my HOB Reef Octopus BH2000.

If I had more of a footprint to work with I believe I'd go with the Reef Octopus Extreme 200 but that would be a very tight fit, even if it would fit. I thought at the beginning the price would be the main deciding factor and while it comes into play, once I realized the size of a lot of the skimmers I was looking into and the size of my sump that has certainly changed things. I do like the price and rating of the Curve 7, I'd feel comfortable using it on a setup of your size that I'd like to upgrade to eventually. Since it is newer and there isn't a whole lot out there on them I was feeling a little hesitant as I want it to last me.

I do agree that the price is obviously better, which is another plus taking into account the footprint and gallon rating of one that I would like, all lines up nicely. I will have to check out the Youtube videos, that isn't something I had done yet. Less noise is great.

Question, if you don't mind. When you mention keeping up with the maintenance, what is a good routine to get into when it comes to the complete cleaning and such of an in sump skimmer such as the Curve 7? Definitely still learning on this.

It seems you may have found a better price than I had, I'd have to go back and see though to be sure as I've been searching so many. Do you mind posting where you found it for that price?

Edit: Just checked and I had planned on ordering the Curve 7 from Marine Depot if it was what I decided on and its $289.99 with free shipping there so yeah, definitely found a better price than I had.

Edit again: Found it here cheaper
http://www.fish-street.com/basket.php?o ... fishstreet

but I don't know anything about site..
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I generally just clean the collection cup weekly & the pump/impeller every couple of months. The skimmer body gets cleaned about every 3-4 months.

It is good to look into the life of the pumps & the ease of repair/replacement.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Terrance
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Terrance »

Yup I found the Curve on fish-streets. Its the same site that I bought a WP40, which is getting real hot lately on reefing forums.
Kind regards,
Terrance
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Pufferpunk wrote:I generally just clean the collection cup weekly & the pump/impeller every couple of months. The skimmer body gets cleaned about every 3-4 months.

Thanks. It was more so the whole skimmer body and then the pump I wasn't sure about when it came to cleaning, how often and such.
Terrance wrote:Yup I found the Curve on fish-streets. Its the same site that I bought a WP40, which is getting real hot lately on reefing forums.
Have you already gotten your WP40? Curious about any issues ordering from that site and now actually curious about the WP40 after looking at it.

I've been reading through a thread about the WP40 and it seems it would be too much for my tank (90g) though.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do something about upping the flow in the 90g. I had just bought two Koralia 1050s as an upgrade in the 60g, don't think this will be enough flow for the 90g and like the options of something like the WP40, price too.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm telling you, get the Seaswirl, you won't be sorry!

*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Pufferpunk wrote:I'm telling you, get the Seaswirl, you won't be sorry!

Thats the other option I was considering. It'd be nice to not have a bunch of powerheads in the tank and I'm pretty sure the two Koralias I just bought would be on the low side for flow in the 90g.

You said you have the 3/4 in your 90g, right? Is that all you have for water movement?

Have any issues with anything settling on the sandbed? Thats been my biggest issue with trying to get powerheads in the right place.
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Terrance »

*GSP*Fan* wrote:
Pufferpunk wrote:I generally just clean the collection cup weekly & the pump/impeller every couple of months. The skimmer body gets cleaned about every 3-4 months.

Thanks. It was more so the whole skimmer body and then the pump I wasn't sure about when it came to cleaning, how often and such.
Terrance wrote:Yup I found the Curve on fish-streets. Its the same site that I bought a WP40, which is getting real hot lately on reefing forums.
Have you already gotten your WP40? Curious about any issues ordering from that site and now actually curious about the WP40 after looking at it.

I've been reading through a thread about the WP40 and it seems it would be too much for my tank (90g) though.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do something about upping the flow in the 90g. I had just bought two Koralia 1050s as an upgrade in the 60g, don't think this will be enough flow for the 90g and like the options of something like the WP40, price too.

The WP40 can be controlled by setting the amount of watts powering the WP40 (sold separately). It can pretty much provide enough flow for any tank. If I were you, I'd wait for the W25. Get 2 on both ends of your tank. I will get the WP40 sometimes this week, so hopefully I can get waves in my 120g. Video to come :)
Kind regards,
Terrance
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, the SS is all I have for flow. You're lucky--you've got the corner overflow. Mine is in the middle, although the SS still leaves no dead spots, anywhere in the tank. It bounces off the sides & front glass, back into the tank, too.

I have a nice big black cucumber doing all the vacuuming for the sand bed.

*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Terrance wrote:
The WP40 can be controlled by setting the amount of watts powering the WP40 (sold separately). It can pretty much provide enough flow for any tank. If I were you, I'd wait for the W25. Get 2 on both ends of your tank. I will get the WP40 sometimes this week, so hopefully I can get waves in my 120g. Video to come :)
I did see mention of controlling the wattage to allow control over the power of the WP40. From the videos, it certainly seems pretty powerfull and possibly too much on a 4ft tank without controlling the wattage. I guess I was more concerned about whether just one of these would allow for enough flow all around the tank to prevent any dead spots, keep debris suspended, keep sand bed clean, etc.

I was thinking the same, about waiting on the WP25s, so that I would do two of those and it wouldn't be as overpowering. It will also allow for more time to see how they're holding up, by the time the smaller version is released.

I don't think you'll have any problem getting any waves, not from what I've seen in the videos anyway. Look forward to hearing your opinion and all.
Pufferpunk wrote:Yes, the SS is all I have for flow. You're lucky--you've got the corner overflow. Mine is in the middle, although the SS still leaves no dead spots, anywhere in the tank. It bounces off the sides & front glass, back into the tank, too.

I have a nice big black cucumber doing all the vacuuming for the sand bed.
I do like that the overflow is in the corner over the middle but it seems odd to me still having that in the tank, just where I'm not used to working around anything of the sort in the 60g.

I think it'll be easier in general to get better flow in the 90g over the 60g because of the width.

Anyway you could post some pictures of the seaswhirl on the tank? Just would like to get a better idea on what it looks like set up.

I looked into a sea cucumber before because of the sand bed. I hadn't quite decided on whether or not to add one to the tank. I was partially worried about whether or not the puffer may pick on one. The shallow depth of the sandbed, size of tank, and having corals on the sand bed concerned me too. Also, if I was going to get one I wanted the one that is pink and what I believe black as well, not as easy to find apparently.

I do have a conch but he's rather lazy, I expected more activity out of him. Maybe other kinds are more active than mine, who knows. Rather disappointed as I thought he'd be interesting to watch.