Tank Progression: 60 gallon

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Solandri
Location (country): USA

Tank Progression: 60 gallon

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

I've finally gotten around to getting this thread started for the setup of my 60 gallon full marine tank. It will be the home of one GSP and maybe an attempt at a tankmate(s).

After registering at this forum about a month ago I have received a lot of help from members and from reading through information here as well. I know I would not be going about this the correct way if it wasn't for this site which I'm sure would result in many issues down the road. So thanks for that.

Anyway, about the tank..

It is a 60 gallon I purchased with stand from Petsmart and is set up in my living room. It came with standard hoods and lighting which I am upgrading to a new fixture which will house two 54w T5 HO lamps 10,000k and two 54w T5 HO lamps actinic blue. The new fixture should be here in the next week or so.

It currently has 50lbs of live rock and is cycling at the moment. I have 25lbs of base rock from Macrorocks I will be placing in the tank along with 60lbs of aragonite for substrate. I also have another 10lbs of live rock on the way just to add more filtration and a variety as well. I am running two powerheads and a 300w heater. There is currently one filter in the tank, will not be staying, that was placed in the tank due to cloudiness. I intend on adding a larger HOB filter after I add my sand to help clear the tank quicker.

I'm including a few pictures. They aren't of the best quality as they are taken by my iphone but will do for now as I wanted to get this thread started. I will take better pictures with my Nikon as the tank comes together. Excuse the cords at the moment, I will get those better placed and also have a background on the way to hopefully hide them.

After the tank was filled, halfway, waiting on the arrival of my first batch of live rock.

A few taken after the first 50lbs of live rock was added.

After my daughter noticed the tank. Seems she approves already :thumb:

Thanks for looking! Can't wait to have it aquascaped, cycled, and ready to go!

ETA: Trying to get the pictures resized, sorry! Well maybe, I can't seem to figure out how even though I just did it the other day.
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Re: Tank Progression: 60 gallon

Post by Arny »

Are you going to keep corals? If not i wouldnt bother with the blue bulbs
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Arny wrote:Are you going to keep corals? If not i wouldnt bother with the blue bulbs
I know they aren't needed for the tank, at least not for FOWLR.

I am not completely sure though. If I do it will definitely be a while. I also know it may or may not even work out with having a GSP.

I do want to try macroalgaes in the tank once I've had it up and running for a bit, especially since I won't have a sump. I want more as far as decor and would like to avoid fake plants. I'd like to have as many broken lines of sight as well.

Plus, I like the look of the lights. I know they aren't needed for the tank, at least not for FOWLR. But the ones that came with the tank aren't really worth much outside of just giving the tank light, only 15w a piece. I definitely want better lights in general.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Blue bulbs will bring out the colors of your fish, nicely. Nothing worse than a all white or yellow-looking tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Pufferpunk wrote:Blue bulbs will bring out the colors of your fish, nicely. Nothing worse than a all white or yellow-looking tank.
Ugh yes. The bulbs I have currently make the tank look yellow-ish to me.

I really do like the look of the blue bulbs and thought I might as well. Especially since I may try some corals out once the tank has been stable for some time.

Could there be any ill effect of the stronger lights to the GSPs?

One more thing..since the lights are getting talked about.

I was going to order glass canopies as well so the whole top of the tank is covered as the light fixture is only like 7 1/2inches wide I believe and the tank is around 12 inches. While looking into this I came across mention of this posing problems with gas exchange. However, I was under the impression that GSPs were jumpers and thought it may not be safe to not have the glass canopies. Any thoughts on this?

Since my daughter is asleep I am going to attempt to get more work done on this tank. Probably finish getting the sand rinsed. I want all of the rocks and substrate in place badly.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I suggest using eggcrate instead. It's gonna get really hot in there. You may have to attach a clamp fan, to run across the top of the water, too (or over the sump, if you have one).
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Pufferpunk wrote:I suggest using eggcrate instead. It's gonna get really hot in there. You may have to attach a clamp fan, to run across the top of the water, too (or over the sump, if you have one).
That would certainly be better for gas exchange while keeping fish in the tank. Thanks.

Hope to find it locally without too many problems. The only home improvement store around me is Lowes. Will check there as soon as I'm able to.

ETA: Or what about this?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clear-1-4 ... 7-x-3.html

Anyone tried it ?

They sell a kit here.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquar ... tting.html
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

My cycling is still under way and these are the test results along with other water parameters from last night. Definitely progress from last time.

Salinity- 1.024
pH- 8.0
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 5.0ppm
Nitrate- 160ppm

The results from four days ago

Salinity- 1.024
pH- 8.0
Ammonia- 1.0ppm
Nitrite- 1.0 ppm
Nitrate- 80ppm

Excited to see zero on the ammonia reading. But the nitrates seem awfully high to me. I wasn't expecting them to read that high. I have not done any water changes and I'm sure that accounts for the high reading as well.

Is that high of a level an issue even during cycling?

I plan on doing a small water change so I can siphon out debris before adding my sand so that should bring it down some. I am having a hard time finding an adapter for the siphon/vac to fit my sink and its delayed some of my progress.
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

So I attempted to aquascape the tank the other night. Its hard work!

I worked on it for about three hours. First I set the base rock, on a blanket, on the floor and stacked it how I was happy with it. That went well, I thought.

Then I took the live rock out of the tank and placed it on the blanket to try and stack it as well. I hated to take it out of the water, thought it wasn't out long at all, but with the height of the tank/stand and me being short, its difficult. Anyway, I had the rock stacked how I liked it out of the tank, stable as well. But ran into problems trying to place it in the tank. I tried to be rather organized about it to try to make it easier with taking it down and restacking in the tank. I couldn't seem to get it as stable or how I wanted it once I had it back in the tank. I continued trying to work with it in the tank instead of trying outside of the tank again but didn't get anywhere. If I get another tank in the future I will definitely get one that is wider, 12inches deep is not fun to work with when it comes to stacking rock.

So after about three hours that night/early morning, I didn't get much of anywhere. My daughter woke up at that point and I just left the rock in the tank how it was to finish later. I know I have to and need to finish soon but I kinda dread it.

I also tested the water that night, which was the 6th day of the cycling process and the levels were the same as the last time I tested, 4th day. Ammonia is staying at zero but nitrites have yet to hit zero. I did do a PWC before I began my attempt at aquascaping and have not tested the levels since, will tonight.

I also ran into some issues during the water change and have a few questions. I know a water change was not necessary at this point but I wanted to try and get some of the debris off the bottom that has fallen off of the live rock. Problem was I could not enough suction to really get any out. This also led to problems when I moved to aquacaping in the tank as it stirred up making it very difficult to see. It didn't take it too long to settle back down though.

I really wanted that debris out of the tank but don't know how else to go about it aside from draining the tank, which I don't want to do. The siphon/vac is the one that hooks to the sink and is the 25ft version. I know the height of the tank and then the height the sink is at is probably why my suction is so poor.

Any ideas?

Or would I be okay/better off just adding the sand and not even worrying about it?
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

You can use a small filter with filter floss to remove most of the floating debris, failing that let it settle and syphon it out then.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

Post by PufferMe! »

Your tank is fantastic looking. You are really doing this right! Daughter is adorable too :)

I'm also with just one GSP in a 68 gallon and want to try something else with him. May be trying a yellow tail Damsel.

Your tank will clear, don't worry.

Gwen

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Damsels are schooling fish, you could keep 3 in that tank.

PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

Post by PufferMe! »

Thanks Pufferpunk! Should I try all 3 at once, or start with one, and see how my GSP responds to it?

Gwen

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

All 3.

*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

PufferMe! wrote:Your tank is fantastic looking. You are really doing this right! Daughter is adorable too :)

I'm also with just one GSP in a 68 gallon and want to try something else with him. May be trying a yellow tail Damsel.

Your tank will clear, don't worry.

Gwen
Thank you on both.

This tank is mainly for the GSP but I would like to include a tankmate or two, though I know it will be a hit or miss.

I'm also considering corals as well now to help liven the tank up. I definitely can't wait until there is actually something in the tank beside rock and when the rock begins to show some life as well, coraline/etc.

It actually cleared rather quickly it was just frustrating at the time when I couldn't see to place my rocks lol.