Tank Progression: 60 gallon

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Solandri
Location (country): USA

Re: Tank Progression: 60 gallon

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

bertie 83 wrote:You can use a small filter with filter floss to remove most of the floating debris, failing that let it settle and syphon it out then.

It has actually settled now. I initially tried siphoning but just didn't have enough suction. I plan to try again tonight with the siphoning once I get my rock in place. I plan on adding the sand after which I know will cause some cloudiness. I have a filter thats for like a 30gallon or so I plan to attach to help clear up the tank. I purchased some stuffing from the fabric/sewing section at walmart to use in the filter as was suggested to me, definitely cheap and will serve its purpose.
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

The tank is finally aquascaped to where I'm happy with it, for now anyway. I'll definitely take any suggestions though, especially being my first attempt and all. I also added the sand and it cleared up in just over 24hrs. The tank has actually cycled, I got a reading of 0 nitrites on just day nine. I did two large water changes and my nitrates were around 5ppm when I checked yesterday.

I went to a LFS yesterday evening and picked up 10 hermit crabs (red-legged) and a starry blenny. I had wanted to try a starry blenny as a tankmate with the GSP and wanted him/her to be the first addition. I didn't expect to get him/her yesterday as I didn't expect them to have one in stock. To my surprise they did and I picked him up. He/she hid most of yesterday and last night but I have seen him/her moving around more today, exploring different holes/caves in the rock. Its nice to have some life in the tank, even if it is hiding most of the time lol.

So now a few pictures...

The 25lbs of base rock from Macrorocks.

A couple of the tank now that it has been aquascaped and the water has cleared up after the sand being added.

The equipment is not in its final place either. I plan on sliding the heater down so that I can hide it behind the rocks as much as possible. I'm also trying to find the best places for the powerheads. Any suggestions there I'd appreciate. Thanks for looking!
Last edited by *GSP*Fan* on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Nice!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Pufferpunk wrote:Nice!

Thanks!!

I can't wait until the live rock is more established and it looks nicer, coraline especially. When I was at one of my LFS they had some live rock that had some nice coraline growth, I'm thinking up picking up a piece so that I know the coraline is introduced into the tank. I have yet to see any hitchhikers, obvious to me anyway, hope to see something soon. I'd also like to try a few corals as well. Nothing fancy, just some of the simpler ones like mushrooms, zoas, etc. to add more to the tank than just the rock. I definitely want to make sure there are broken lines of site and it doesn't really seem like the rock is enough I guess.
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

Post by PufferMe! »

You'll have to take it slow with corals and GSP's. I just got some on some great live rock I bought, we'll see how they do with my guy. The red-legged crab I bought has been eaten :( I feel bad. My GSP took interest, but the crab found shelter under a rock. Today I found his shell.

Gwen

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

PufferMe! wrote:You'll have to take it slow with corals and GSP's. I just got some on some great live rock I bought, we'll see how they do with my guy. The red-legged crab I bought has been eaten :( I feel bad. My GSP took interest, but the crab found shelter under a rock. Today I found his shell.

Gwen
Sorry about your crab.

I dont' expect inverts to make it long in the tank once the GSP is introduced and of a considerable size. I do plan on getting some snails as a clean up crew of sorts and then I already have the hermit crabs. I'm sure they will more than likely get eaten eventually but in the mean time hopefully they'll be beneficial. I really hope the GSP does well with the blenny, already love the little guy lol. I think he's cute but my boyfriend says he's ugly, oh well. If there are problems I'll probably just move him into another tank, don't think I could fully part with him.

I know it will be a hit or miss with corals as well. Though the GSP will be added to the tank last. I'd like to get a couple corals in the tank here soon, good while before the GSP will be introduced. Hoping with them already being in the tank and not added once the GSP is already there will lessen the chance of their distruction lol. Also waiting on my lighting to get here, which should be in the next week at most.

I have yet to see much of anything on my live rock, hopefully in time. What types of corals did you end of getting on your rock? And how big is your GSP?
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish

Post by PufferMe! »

I don't know what type of corals are on the live rock. Trying to find out though. Here are some pics. The 3rd picture there is a greyish soft thing in the middle of the picture, with small little "spikes". All are soft corals, I can tell that. My SG is 1.021. Since my puffer hasn't bothered them at all, I'm hoping this is high enough salinity for them. If not, I'm willing to bump it up. If anyone knows, that would be great! :)

GwenImageImageImageImage

PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by PufferMe! »

Oh, I have feather dusters too. My puffer ate a larger one, but now is leaving all of them alone :)

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

The pink ones are leather corals. The purplish one in the middle is a sponge. I have no idea what that 1st blur is.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Nice! I have no idea what they are though lol.
I hope to see some corals and such start popping up on my live rock. Feather dusters would be nice too.

Hope your GSP continues to leave them alone for you.
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

point powerheads at the LR that is your main biological filter now.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by PufferMe! »

@Pufferpunk, the first one I'm told may be a pineapple sponge. I spotted two of those now. I'm guessing I should buy something to feed them. Any recommendations? All I have is frozen cyclops. Is a leather coral hard to keep?

Thanks all!

Gwen

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

No food necessary for either.

*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

puffykid wrote:point powerheads at the LR that is your main biological filter now.
Yeah I know the live rock needs to have flow but I also keep reading that there does not need to be dead spots (obviously) and to have surface agitation as well. Just trying to figure out how to best accomplish all of this; avoiding dead spots and making sure the rock is getting enough flow.

When searching I've came across several topics suggesting to have the powerheads facing downward at the front glass, coming from the back corners of the tank, to where the flows sort of meet to help spread out the circulation more. That's how mine are set up now but I don't know if my rock is getting enough flow. I basically had the powerheads pointing directly at the rock while the tank cycled with the live rock.
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

I posted about having an ammoinia then nitrite spike in the cycling topic I posted asking questions the other day.

Well I did a PWC, around 20gallons I believe, that night. I checked the parameters again last night and both the ammonia and nitrite have dropped to 0 and the nitrates are staying at 10ppm. So glad to have seen those numbers drop, I was worried. Blenny has been hiding most of the time it seems, at least when I'm home. Hope he ventures out more soon. I like watching him pick at the rocks. :D

Also, I placed an order yesterday at reefcleaners. I ordered some snails, hermits (wanted more of a variety then my LFS offers), empty shells, red gracilaria, and ulva. Order will be here on Friday and my lights will be here tomorrow. Can't wait! :D

If anyone has ordered a CUC of sorts from reefcleaners (or anywhere else online) how did you acclimate? The hermits I purchased at the LFS I drip acclimated them, though that was a short trip. On an email I received from reefcleaner it suggested only floating the bag only matching the temperature because of the ammonia build up in the bag and something about pH I believe that causes issues when drip acclimating. Also mentioned something about crabs,snails, etc being hardier. I hadn't ever dealt with any live orders online or read about these issues with drip acclimating and thought I'd mention it and possibly get a second opinion.