Stocking Options

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Stocking Options

Post by bertie 83 »

They do look funny wandering round picking at the gravel lol.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Solandri
Location (country): USA

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

bertie 83 wrote:They do look funny wandering round picking at the gravel lol.
Lol. I've never even had hermits, of any kind. I expect them to be interesting to watch and hope GSP doesn't decided to make a meal of them, too soon anyway.

Just wanted more along the lines of fish I guess. Hard to imagine that 60 gallon with only one baby GSP.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

I have a couple hermits in my GSP tank and they do a great job at scavening. They are funny looking buggers, and my GSP ignores them for the most part right now (he nibbled at em when I first put em in, but gave up eventually... He's only about 1-1.5" long though) The hermits are usually pretty cheap, my LFS sells em for $1.99 ea. Interesting thing too is if you drip acclimate them, they do fine in brackish (mine are at 1.008-1.010). They've been thriving for a while now, but I suspect they'd do better at full SW, as mine have a habit of becoming decorations sometimes and don't move much. I've seen them move more often at night though, so idk if they're just nocturnal. P.S. - That baby GSP wont' be a baby forever =P, when it gets bigger, you'll realize that much tank isn't really big for it! They can become monsters of 6" long, about the size of a small nerf football lol.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

G S P Freak wrote:I have a couple hermits in my GSP tank and they do a great job at scavening. They are funny looking buggers, and my GSP ignores them for the most part right now (he nibbled at em when I first put em in, but gave up eventually... He's only about 1-1.5" long though) The hermits are usually pretty cheap, my LFS sells em for $1.99 ea. Interesting thing too is if you drip acclimate them, they do fine in brackish (mine are at 1.008-1.010). They've been thriving for a while now, but I suspect they'd do better at full SW, as mine have a habit of becoming decorations sometimes and don't move much. I've seen them move more often at night though, so idk if they're just nocturnal. P.S. - That baby GSP wont' be a baby forever =P, when it gets bigger, you'll realize that much tank isn't really big for it! They can become monsters of 6" long, about the size of a small nerf football lol.
I thought they would be useful as far as scavenging and would be neat to watch as well. I also understand they may become a snack later on but figure they'll be safe for a good bit as far as size.

They are pretty cheap, only $1 at my LFS actually. I called and checked little while back. And they'll be in full marine as thats what I'm setting this tank up as, live rock and all.

Haha, I know and thats why I definitely won't do two GSPs in just a 60. But they don't seem to grow very fast so the tank will look rather empty until he/she does some growing.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

You would be surprised as far as growth, most growing is done early on in their life. In a tank that size there is nothing to slow him so he should rocket to the 4-5" size. The last bit of growth takes years.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

A LFS I know sells hermits at 69-89 cents or 10 bucks a dozen. Depending on the species. The brown legged species tends to be the cheapest while the blue legged seems to be the most expensive of the little almond sized hermits.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

That makes sense as far as growth goes. There certainly won't be anything limiting his/her space for growth and I do know that growth slows down with age. I'm sure he/she will be 4-5 inches faster than I expect.

Still may try a clown or blenny after looking into it more. Was hoping for someone who's tried different tankmates and wanted to make sure I didn't overstock at least.

Wow. Thats pretty cheap for hermits. I was surprised they were only a dollar at my LFS but obviously cheaper where you're at. I have to say I didn't even ask about the species so they're may be some fluctuations in price unless they only carry one species or something.