Plants

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Solandri
Location (country): USA

Re: Plants

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

bertie 83 wrote:You could easily attach extra bulbs by the look of it. Simple drilling and bolting. Powerful twin lighting ballasts run for about £50 here, run 2 of those with your different spectrum bulbs you should be golden, this would give you space for a total of 4 bulbs. You would need to spend approx £160 English money not sure what it would work out in $s
Good to know. I'll have to talk to my boyfriend about it, thinking he may be able to do that then.

I'm still not familiar with the different lights regarding aquariums and plant life at all.

Anyway you could elaborate there or maybe post links?

And the bulbs/lighting you are talking about is suitable for macroalgae?

Thanks so much again. You've been so much help.
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

*GSP*Fan* wrote:
bertie 83 wrote:You could easily attach extra bulbs by the look of it. Simple drilling and bolting. Powerful twin lighting ballasts run for about £50 here, run 2 of those with your different spectrum bulbs you should be golden, this would give you space for a total of 4 bulbs. You would need to spend approx £160 English money not sure what it would work out in $s
Good to know. I'll have to talk to my boyfriend about it, thinking he may be able to do that then.

I'm still not familiar with the different lights regarding aquariums and plant life at all. I've looked through page of different bulbs that can be purchased but still am not sure what is need for what I guess.

Anyway you could elaborate there or maybe post links?

And the bulbs/lighting you are talking about are suitable for macroalgae?

Thanks so much again. You've been so much help.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Absolutely you will be good to grow anything in that light. As for bulbs you could mix them so you could get the best of both worlds, the outer ones could be plant bulbs eg power- glo 18000k. The innerspring you could have blue and red or any combination. I have never done s/w plants so there may be a better way of setting those up, this is just what I would try.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

bertie 83 wrote:Absolutely you will be good to grow anything in that light. As for bulbs you could mix them so you could get the best of both worlds, the outer ones could be plant bulbs eg power- glo 18000k. The innerspring you could have blue and red or any combination. I have never done s/w plants so there may be a better way of setting those up, this is just what I would try.

Great. I do believe I only want to attempt macroalgae though, no intention of doing any coral or anything down the line. I will definitely keep reading up on lighting then and see what else I can learn.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

There is tons of info out there, like I say it's not something I have first hand experience in but it should just be common sense, you could likely get away with 2 tubes and be just fine. It's just a case of working out watts per gallon and making an informed decision
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

bertie 83 wrote:There is tons of info out there, like I say it's not something I have first hand experience in but it should just be common sense, you could likely get away with 2 tubes and be just fine. It's just a case of working out watts per gallon and making an informed decision

I've been trying to research, even before I made this topic, which is what led me to finding a couple macroalgaes that I am interested in. From my reading, it seemed they were relatively simple in terms of care/lighting and thought I may give them a shot.

If I don't have to modify, that would be great. Thought I wouldn't be able to get away with the two bulbs so long as they are the correct wattage for both the tank and plants. Its just know what that is I guess. Like under the description of macroalgaes I'm interested in and mentioned I believe they both mentioned moderate lighting. But being new to all of this I'm not really sure what that mean.

So off to do more research....