UGH! Coralife HOB Super Skimmer keeps overflowing!

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

UGH! Coralife HOB Super Skimmer keeps overflowing!

Post by sgtmyers88 »

A while back when my 55G GSP tank was still brackish I managed to acquire a free HOB Coralife Super Skimmer from a person getting out of the aquarium hobby on Craigslist. I did not know anything about skimmers at the time and it was missing a hose for the powerhead and a lid for the cup. I rigged it together using a lid from a soda cup and clipped a piece of siphon hose and attached the powerhead onto the skimmer inlet to fix it. Probelms have started occuring in the past few weeks where it wants to foam up and overflow with water without really skimming anything. This is quite irritating and messy considering the affects of long term water damage being likely made. One morning I woke up to it having spewed out well over a gallon or two of water. It also has a problem leaking microbubbles back into the tank making it look cloudy on one side. Any mod ideas for this thing? It worked great for a while. Ive tried fiddling with the flow control knob with no success.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

Re: UGH! Coralife HOB Super Skimmer keeps overflowing!

Post by Tim »

If a skimmer overflows you probably need to put it higher above the water line.
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

This is the problem with this brand. Does it have a way to attach the skimmer to a larger container on the floor for overflow? Mine did. I also always had to turn it off & readjust, after WC.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Sorry I had forgot about this thread. Anyways I managed to get the bracket ring thingy that hangs on the tank loose and raised the unit about 8 inches and cut the main tube that connects the pump to the skimmer down from 10 inches to 4 inches. Skims perfectly now with lots of black junk building up in the cup.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.