29Gal nano reef question

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

29Gal nano reef question

Post by Gooburz »

So I've been reading as much as a i can about saltwater set-ups and also part of another site Nano-reef.com Now from what i've read on their site with smaller tanks (nano-reefs) its not recommended to use a skimmer with the smaller tanks because it takes away from the live rock in the tank. I know its a MUST with larger systems but they have said that enough live rock using a aquaclear filter with carbon media and water changes is enough for the smaller systems and that a skimmer would basically be a waist.

I will be setting up the tank this coming week so I just want your advice on getting a skimmer or not, I only want to do whats best for the tank and the fish. ALSO this will NOT be a puffer tank, just a couple small reef fish.

I wanted to ask you guys because i know many of you run saltwater tanks and wanted your imput because I know there are MANY knowledgeable people here.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: 29Gal nano reef question

Post by Pufferpunk »

That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard! I had a Backpac on my 15g. Skimmers are NEVER a waste. Not 100% necessary though.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict

Post by Terrance »

Skimmer is nice to keep in between the water changes. Get one if you have extra spending cash after buying the essentials.
Kind regards,
Terrance
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

Guess my comment didn't post but I am going to be taking my time with this tank and rushing NOTHING. Thank you PP for the input and I think i'll run the setup with the aquaclear filter with carbon media and filter floss, live rock and let it be up and running for a month with the live rock and check water paramaters often then add 1 fish and see how it holds up from there, if needs be I will add a skimmer. Just from what i was reading on that web-site people have been keeping their nano reefs for years without a skimmer. And as PP commented its not 100% necessary.
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

UGH, let me say I hate the cost of starting up a marine tank for the 1st time. Good lord its expensive!
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

LOL, I know the feeling. Im in the process setting up a 75 gal saltwater tank. Not my 1st but it's been some years since I had one. Im going to be using my old Duel Bacpak, just need one more pump and replace my 2 collection cup o-rings. It was an awesome twin skimmer in the past. A single one will do really good for your tank. You could get you tank up and going and buy the skimmer later on. Buying little by little is how I been doing this for years. I did a 20 gal nano reef years ago.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

FADE2BLACK_1973 wrote:LOL, I know the feeling. Im in the process setting up a 75 gal saltwater tank. Not my 1st but it's been some years since I had one. Im going to be using my old Duel Bacpak, just need one more pump and replace my 2 collection cup o-rings. It was an awesome twin skimmer in the past. A single one will do really good for your tank. You could get you tank up and going and buy the skimmer later on. Buying little by little is how I been doing this for years. I did a 20 gal nano reef years ago.

Agreed on buying piece by piece with it, gives me something to look forward to each payday basically. And for the start i'm going to use the live rock with an aquaclear with carbon (and filter floss) and water changes. I spoke with my uncle who has been doing a 20 & 10 gal nano tank for over 10 years and thats all he has ever used and has been fine using that without any problems. He just told me feeding correctly is "Key". Hopefully by end of summer the tank will be up and running!
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

Well after 10 years and no problems, I would say he was doing it right. Protein skimmers just helps makes things alittle easier, imo.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

FADE2BLACK_1973 wrote:Well after 10 years and no problems, I would say he was doing it right. Protein skimmers just helps makes things alittle easier, imo.

I won't disagree with you on that. I think to help my wallet out a little i'll go w/o a skimmer and I will eventually add one, and a bakpac skimmer for sure from all the good reviews i've seen from you guys on them. I'll consider it a work in progress, slowly add all the "bells and whistles" over time.