90 gallon SW tank, WIP

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): California, USA

90 gallon SW tank, WIP

Post by goldielocke76 »

Well, guys, after putting it off for so long, I am creating this post to tell you that my sweet little green face'd Yoshi is no longer with me. She actually passed about 2 months ago, but, I have been avoiding thinking about it, which will explain my seemingly inactive presence around the forum lately. I have been lurking, just not too much activity. Kept putting it off because with my school load getting super heavy, and working 30-40 hours a week, I didn't want to think about it and get all sad. Now that summer is here, and school is over for the time being, I can be sad about it all I want too.

So now I have this 90 gallon tank, and we are looking at setting it up as a reef tank. Denzil recently got super interested in corals, and instead of raising his eyebrows asking me how much money I was spending, his questions turned to "are you sure you have everything you need?" LoL, but I think I may wait a while before getting another puffer. Right now, I have my sweet faced Luau, who's getting ginormus, and my little pee wee PZ to give me my puffer fix. I have decided that if I do a SW Puffer again, I am going to go balls out, huge tank, huge refugium, all the equipment in the sump and not worry about curious puffers sticking their faces in pumps anymore.

Also getting ready to go on vacation, so hopefully everyone will be OK. Finally got all my tanks on timers, and OMG, I should have done it sooner. I can't believe I dragged my feet so long on getting them. It's been wonderful, and my fish sure are happier having a set day and night time. It was hard when going to school because my schedule was so vastly different, now, I don't have to worry about it ^.^

So, I am still here, but one puffer short. Luau is probably 2 inches right now and growing, and with his huge tank, I put some ghost shrimp in there and he just adores it when I do. Keeps him busy for days. They clean up all his left overs, and eat some veggie wafers, while he gets everything they eat when he finally catches one. Some might think that it is mean, but I just can't catch them with a pair of tweezers and hold on to them and let him pick at them. LoL, at least in the tank, they can try to get away from him. And he's getting so big that once he catches them, he leaves nothing behind. In about three bites, they are gone. Denzil and I love watching him, and he's definitely grown on Denzil-- Denzil tells people "this is the cute little puffer I helped save." Haha.

Hope all is well with you guys! Pretty soon I will get some updated pics, hopefully after I get the 90 set up. I am 99% there, but the damn bulkheads keep dripping water. Gotta flip the tank and give them another turn or so again. Hopefully by tonight though, it will be in it's spot in the living room, and have water in it to give it a final leak test. :)
Last edited by goldielocke76 on Tue May 29, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Updates, and my 90 gallon SW tank

Post by bertie 83 »

Sorry to hear about your bad news, glad you are back. Can't wait to see the setup
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

Sorry about the loss.. Ive been busy with school too, been wondering where you ran off to.

Wb.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer

Post by goldielocke76 »

Thanks guys. It's good to be back. Thought I'd post a pic of the new tank up:
Just have to get the salt in the tank, then some Dr. Tims!

60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer

90 gallon SW tank, WIP

Post by goldielocke76 »

Finally got the light on the 'fuge, and on a timer. I plan to run it opposite the DT. Now I just have to rinse off a couple of rocks from the established tank, add those in, get some macro algae, and then add Dr. Tim's. Good thing I will be gone for the 3 weeks, all the cycling will be done when I get back LoL.

goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer

Re: 90 gallon SW tank, WIP

Post by goldielocke76 »

Finally got some macro algae in. Now I can leave and be rest assured that the tank will be cycling and seeding while I am gone on my vacation. Can't wait to get all my fish in the tank, but I have do QT them for a bit when I get back. So far though, so good. Their spots disappeared a week ago, and no spots have shown back up, so I am really hoping that we are crypt free for now. We will see after I get back from being gone for so long = /

goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer

Post by goldielocke76 »

Finally got some lights on this sucker.We just finished doing all the mods to the canopy! This is what it looks like with metal halides on it =)

J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

why isn't this in your blog?
Last edited by J-P on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

What kind of lighting? Is there a sump/refugium?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"