EEL's and what else?

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

EEL's and what else?

Post by Gooburz »

So the idea of a 2nd puffer tank is out, the wife wants a tank with an EEL in it and i don't plan on mixing puffers with them. Does anyone know what i could mix a Snowflake Moray EEL with? I know there are successful tanks out there with EELs in them. I am open to any tank mates really, planning on around a 75Gal or possibly larger.

This will not be going up for at least another 5-6 months but i'd like to try to get as much info and suggestions as i can from people here who maybe have had luck or knowledge. I've tried looking up on snowflake eels and have come up with very limited knowledge and mixed answers.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: EEL's and what else?

Post by bertie 83 »

I think anything too big to get in his mouth. Eels require good hiding spots, quite difficult for long eels, lots of research before jumping in please. I know you do anyway
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA

Post by chuckfriedrice »

A very good top ! I thought I had mine Eel proof now I have a eel M.I.A !!!!
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Eel sushi tastes quite good and I think the puffers would agree. So don't mix them.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

The info i've found is lots of hiding places which that won't be a problem, keep the tank very clean and watch chem levels in tank (not a problem). and i'll make sure that top is 100% sealed! From what the wife has seen she likes tangs, triggers, clowns. I know those 3 can co-exist but as long as they are bigger than the eel it would be ok? If anyone has any suggestions of fish species or types please let me know that way i can get all the reasearch done ahead of time and pricing/planning.......

Let me say SO happy the military is not moving me around anymore! being deployed let me save up lots of "aquarium" money hahaha
GSPicthus
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): NY

Post by GSPicthus »

I had a Picasso and Niger trigger in with my Tesselata eel. They did very well together.
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(

Post by jus85411 »

pretty much what everyone has said so far +1. a good way to provide hiding spots would be pvc piping or clear tubing. i have seen on youtube a really cool setup where someone put the tubes down in the sand making a whole passageway for the eel, was pretty awesome!
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

I saw that was a great idea. The right angle ends should be left off though, or covered with bits of flower pots or similar to stop excess crap gettin in. Had a similar thing in place for my weather loaches, I also plan on doing a similar thing for my eels just not had chance yet
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

also for the Marine tank would the approiate size Aquaclear filter work along with a skimmer for filtration? I will be doing live rock (plenty for an eel to hide). But what i'm looking for is filtration suggestions, if the aquaclear HOB is good then thats sweet. What could someone recommend for a skimmer, any particular brand? I don't need the "best" one on the market but something decent and not super overpriced, what has worked well for others? And any other filtration suggestions if the HOB is not a good option?
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Just live rock, a skimmer and plenty of flow.
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

Could you recommend a particular model/brand of skimmer? its going to be a tank between 40-75 gal. I know thats a big difference but depends on what i can find and for the price.
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

Gooburz wrote:Could you recommend a particular model/brand of skimmer? its going to be a tank between 40-75 gal. I know thats a big difference but depends on what i can find and for the price.
Get yourself a Deltec MCE300 skimmer, they are very good and quiet. It will be fine on a 75g tank. If you wanted to go bigger there's a MCE600. The Deltec MCE300 normally sell for about £150 new but you can normally get them 2nd hand for half that price.

Here's one on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELTEC-MCE300 ... 3cc582320a