mushroom care!!!

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
DrKennethNoisewater
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Puffers:
2xGSP
Non Puffers:
3xPictus Catfish
1xBlack Ghost Knife
1xGolden Dojo Loach
1xHighfin Pleco
1xBoesemani Rainbow
4xHarlequin Rasboras
Location (country): under a bridge ontario, canada

mushroom care!!!

Post by DrKennethNoisewater »

hey i just got a few muchrooms for my newly acquired salt tank!! im really curious as to their basic needs. now i know specific specimens have different requirements but as a general what do i feed them and how much light do they really need??? i will upload pictures of them very soon for a few specifics. i am so interested in having a nano reef :D this is my first test coral (i think they are considered a coral???)

thanks!!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: mushroom care!!!

Post by Pufferpunk »

They are actually in the family of anemones. Not much care needed.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

DrKennethNoisewater wrote:hey i just got a few muchrooms for my newly acquired salt tank!! im really curious as to their basic needs. now i know specific specimens have different requirements but as a general what do i feed them and how much light do they really need??? i will upload pictures of them very soon for a few specifics. i am so interested in having a nano reef :D this is my first test coral (i think they are considered a coral???)

thanks!!!
I wrote this article on their care; it may help.

http://www.invertplanet.com/forum/conte ... ation.html
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
DrKennethNoisewater
Green Spotted Puffer
2xGSP
Non Puffers:
3xPictus Catfish
1xBlack Ghost Knife
1xGolden Dojo Loach
1xHighfin Pleco
1xBoesemani Rainbow
4xHarlequin Rasboras

hey thanks so much for the info and yet the article was really helpful. i only have a fixture with 2 screw in lightbulb spots so in one i put a coralife bulb (one of the standard $20 dollar florescent style) and one daytime 960 lumen florescent style GE bulb. i know this isnt ideal but its all i have for now. my little mushrooms seem to be doing good after 4 days still and im excited to see how they pan out... :lol:

mine are purple with long stems and a bunch of fingers coming off the edge of the cap. i really hope i dont kill them...
DrKennethNoisewater
Green Spotted Puffer
2xGSP
Non Puffers:
3xPictus Catfish
1xBlack Ghost Knife
1xGolden Dojo Loach
1xHighfin Pleco
1xBoesemani Rainbow
4xHarlequin Rasboras

....also while i have you pros here, i have one tiny clown that i want to get an anenome for. i want to know what the least demanding one is for him. hes about 3/4" long and is an ocelattus (obvi spelled wrong) clown. any suggestions???

thanks in advance!! :)
DrKennethNoisewater
Green Spotted Puffer
2xGSP
Non Puffers:
3xPictus Catfish
1xBlack Ghost Knife
1xGolden Dojo Loach
1xHighfin Pleco
1xBoesemani Rainbow
4xHarlequin Rasboras

....also while i have you pros here, i have one tiny clown that i want to get an anenome for. i want to know what the least demanding one is for him. hes about 3/4" long and is an ocelattus (obvi spelled wrong) clown. any suggestions???

thanks in advance!! :)
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

The Haitian-pink tipped/Condylactis anemones are very easy to care for and if you search for easy anemones that's probably what you'll get. However, I definitely DO NOT recommend this type. Most fish won't even go near it because it stings everything and in some cases will even eat your fish.

Clownfish won't always host an anemone, anyway. So you may get one and then be disappointed because your fish does nothing but ignore it.

Anemones also can be very dangerous and hard to keep. They die from the inside out if something goes wrong, so if there's any problems you really won't know until it's too late. They move around the tank and sometimes sting or eat other fish. They can kill themselves in a power head and posion the rest of your tank. They also can kill other corals and stuff.

One person bought a frogspawn and printed out some pictures of clownfish hosting one, and taped it to their tank and within a few days their clowns wouldn't leave the frogspawn alone. So, you may want to research some other ideas before deciding on a anemone, because sometimes they're more hassle then they are helpful. Also, if you have the space, consider buying another clown.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
DrKennethNoisewater
Green Spotted Puffer
2xGSP
Non Puffers:
3xPictus Catfish
1xBlack Ghost Knife
1xGolden Dojo Loach
1xHighfin Pleco
1xBoesemani Rainbow
4xHarlequin Rasboras

ok cool and im not really into the idea of keeping an anenome specifically like i sounded. I'm more interested in my clown having somewhere to hang out as he looks so out of place just wiggling around the top corner of my tank. if theres something that is more of a seaweed or anything that they also like i would much rather get something like that that is safer and easier to care for. my mushrooms are still doing well so far so i think as long as theres some things that arent much harder than they are to keep it shouldnt be a problem. i am more than open to any suggestions for easy to keep additions to my tank that are pleasing to the eyes!! im really afraid of just diving into the saltwater world and start snapping up corals and everything and have so many issues. i really dont like the idea of having things die because i didnt research them properly, im just not even sure where to start researching for SW setups theres so much to know its overwhelming...
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

DrKennethNoisewater wrote:ok cool and im not really into the idea of keeping an anenome specifically like i sounded. I'm more interested in my clown having somewhere to hang out as he looks so out of place just wiggling around the top corner of my tank. if theres something that is more of a seaweed or anything that they also like i would much rather get something like that that is safer and easier to care for. my mushrooms are still doing well so far so i think as long as theres some things that arent much harder than they are to keep it shouldnt be a problem. i am more than open to any suggestions for easy to keep additions to my tank that are pleasing to the eyes!! im really afraid of just diving into the saltwater world and start snapping up corals and everything and have so many issues. i really dont like the idea of having things die because i didnt research them properly, im just not even sure where to start researching for SW setups theres so much to know its overwhelming...

I can definitely understand how you're feeling. With your current lighting you will only have low light coral options. A great place to start and get a lot of good advice is Reefcentral.com
DrKennethNoisewater
Green Spotted Puffer
2xGSP
Non Puffers:
3xPictus Catfish
1xBlack Ghost Knife
1xGolden Dojo Loach
1xHighfin Pleco
1xBoesemani Rainbow
4xHarlequin Rasboras

thanks a lot! ive been checking it out and it seems like a great site. all of your help is very appreciated. ill post pics of my clown he/she is really pretty and kind of unique looking.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

DrKennethNoisewater wrote:thanks a lot! ive been checking it out and it seems like a great site. all of your help is very appreciated. ill post pics of my clown he/she is really pretty and kind of unique looking.
Awesome. Would love to see it.
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

+1 I'm going to raise my gsp into full marine and add LR in this summer so upload pictures so I can see what I'm getting into!
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon