New to SW, 5g upgraded to BC14

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Phoenix91
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Dwarf puffer: Button

RIP Vettel
Location (country): OH USA

Re: New to SW, new 5 g nano

Post by Phoenix91 »

So update. Sorry it's been a while since i've been on, been super busy with work and other things.

This tank is currently still up, however due to crappy flow and the fact that i want more space i bought a 14g biocube, so as soon as my RO/DI system is installed this tank will be getting upgraded and probably being put back into storage as a qt tank.

but, until then the tank is still going so here's some photos as an update:

latest FTS:
fts.JPG
Mushie and some green star polyp:
mushie & gsp.JPG
Zoas:
zoas.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

A bigger tank sounds like a lot of fun
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Phoenix91
Figure 8 Puffer

RIP Vettel

Post by Phoenix91 »

Yeah i can't wait. My dad is helping me install a RO/DI system tomorrow since i am not to be trusted with plumbing. Then i'll get the tank up and running by maybe mid week.
Phoenix91
Figure 8 Puffer

RIP Vettel

Re: New to SW, 5g upgraded to BC14

Post by Phoenix91 »

Like the title says the 5g hex is being upgraded to a BC14, the hex has very poor flow and just doesn't have the space i want if 'm going to get more corals (which is my hope).

So after 3 hours and a trip to lowes, plus getting to use my hammer and chisel :) i have a new scape for my lovely biocube. BC unfortunately needs a new fan, the one in there is rattling away. I did buy it second hand so i figured i'd have to replace some things. It's an easy fix so i'm not too concerned.
photo (69).JPG
photo (70).JPG
photo (71).JPG
So far i really like it. I've left room in the back right hand corner for the bigger piece of LR from the 5g, it'll probably make it look ugly but i can deal with that as long as it brings it's cycled self and life along with it.

Stocking plans are 2 clowns and as much coral as i can afford. I'd like to have my green star polyps grow out to cover the right section so i could get a column of it growing.

I got the rock from reefcleaners and i cannot recommend them enough. The rock is so nice, very easy to work with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ILoveLola
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Virginia, USA

Post by ILoveLola »

I have a 6 gallon nano cube (similar to BC) that I kind of want to get running... You make it very tempting!
Phoenix91
Figure 8 Puffer

RIP Vettel

Post by Phoenix91 »

I thought it was going to be so hard but i'm really enjoying it. I think honestly the most fun i've had so far was using my hammer and chisel and breaking up that big piece of rock. I say go for it, at least with the cube there shouldn't be issues with flow/dead spots. My hex has so many dead spots and is currently breaking out with cyano. I had to take out one of the rocks because the gha just wouldn't go away, i'd clean the rock and treat it and the next day it would be back full force. I think because of the shape and lack of flow to it i just couldn't stop the problem.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

When you say "clowns" do you mean clown fish? If so, that tank is too small for even one clown fish.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Phoenix91
Figure 8 Puffer

RIP Vettel

Post by Phoenix91 »

How much tank volume for 1 clown fish?

Maybe i could get clown gobies :)
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

I have always been advised you need 20 gallons for one clown fish alone. From what I have studied (you will want to look into it more) you could house 1 clown goby, as they require 10 gallons at least.
Phoenix91
Figure 8 Puffer

RIP Vettel

Post by Phoenix91 »

The sw tank was mostly for coral growth, that's why i started it. I'll do a bit more research into what fish i could properly house, if any. Maybe i could go with some cool inverts instead, i bet sexy shrimp would be fun.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

Inverts are so cool lol. You could probably keep a fairly large CUC in there with some awesome corals.
Phoenix91
Figure 8 Puffer

RIP Vettel

Post by Phoenix91 »

Haven't updated in a while. Tank has been up and running with cycled LR for nearly 1 month. Got some nice additions including frogspawn, yellow palys, kenya tree coral and some more zoas. My stocking plan as far as fish goes is 1 yellow watchman goby and a tiger pistol shrimp. the tank has lots of nice caves they can explore and the sand bed is good for digging.

So updated photos:
fts
fts 12.22.11.JPG
Kenya tree:
tree.JPG
Palys:
yellow palys.JPG
Everything is happy in the tank, showing new growth or budding new heads which i'm pleased about.