My 170 Gal. Tank!

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA

Re: Peteys Tank!

Post by chuckfriedrice »

You cant get angry with Petey and them big blue eyes!
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !

Post by chuckfriedrice »

xenia and kenya tree.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer

Post by chuckfriedrice »

sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Very cute! I was humming that song from that other porcupine puffer video I found. hehe

Petey needs a theme song too. :)
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer

Post by chuckfriedrice »

sounds like a good idea!
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

lol, its funny how when they know youre there and watching, they wont leave the front of the tank!
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
sgtmyers88

Post by sgtmyers88 »

@Chuckfriedrice Maybe I missed it but does Petey like to squirt people as they pass by the tank?
I found a interesting article that talked about this habit along with people using Porcupine Puffers as hired assassins for pests in their tank.
The Common Porcupine Puffers (Diodon holacanthus)

This is a very wide spread species of puffer, found in almost every major warm water ocean; Pacific, Indian, and the Atlantic Ocean. This is a member of the Diodontidae family which also includes Burrfish. The separation between the Diodons and the tetradons comes from the armored and spiny bodies of the Porcupine and Burrfish.

This is possibly one of the best puffers you can get for your tank. Providing that you are going to be getting a tank that is over 100 gallons. These spiny little buggers are very personable, and are real charmers. Once people raise one of these fish, they instantly fall in love and can not imagine not having one in their tank. If you are looking for a Pufferfish with more personality that most dogs and almost every cat, then this would be the puffer for you. They always are excited when you come into the door, and of course begging for food. Some owners even say that their puffer has a different reaction to different people. Thus, meaning that the fish is smart enough to recognize the difference in people.

Many times I'm contacted by people which ask me if their porcupine puffer would be okay with tankmates. This question seems very straight forward, but in actuality, it is one that I'm not qualified to answer. The reason is that porcupines are known for the fact that each fish has it's own unique personality. Some have lived with multiple tankmates and never had problems, while others have been known to eat a tankmate if it misses a single feeding. There have even been a few Porcs that I have seen that have never allowed any tankmates, though this is the not typically the case. The best person to make the decision if your puffer will allow tankmates is you, but you have to be completely honest with yourself at this point. Don't simply think that the puffer looks lonely so you want to get it a tank mate. If you are a responsible hobbyist, you will know your puffer the best! If you do think that your porcupine puffer will accept a tankmate (and the tank is large enough to accommodate this). Then there here are the rules to picking your puffers room mates. The fish can not be extremely aggressive, at least more so than the puffer. A more aggressive tankmate will pester the puffer and might cause it to puff up frequently, which is unhealthy for the puffer. Also, stressed porcupine puffers have had reports of seeping some of the toxin into the water and killing other tankmates. Similarly Aggressive fish can be okay, but have to be watched more carefully. Triggers can be kept with porc puffers. Such as the Black or Niger Trigger, these are the less aggressive of the trigger family. Some of the Picasso Triggers have been known to pester a Porc puffer. If getting a fish like a trigger Make sure that they are the same size, if either one is smaller than you have more chances of there being problems. A great trick is feed each from different sides of the tank. This helps curb any aggression over food. NO long finned fish, Like stated above puffers are fin nippers. And some just can't pass up the opportunity to nip at the fins of another tankmate. So, for that reason, you shouldn't keep any long finned fish like marine bettas or any sort of long finned lionfish in with your porc puffer. It's safer to have fish that don't swim in the porcupine puffer's swimming area. Fish that swim very low to the bottom or even many of the surface dwellers are great tank mates. If they don't get in the puffers face then there is less risk of any problems between them. It should be quite obvious that any sort of snail or crustacean in the tank would not make a suitable tankmate for a puffer. I have heard a few reports that cleaner shrimp have been left alone in a puffer fishes tank, but this is a risk that you will have to take. I don't recommend it, chances are you simply purchased a rather expensive snack for your puffer. I met a man that got a Porcupine puffer simply to seek revenge on a large Mantis shrimp that kept eluding him in large tank. The Mantis had made a meal of just about everything in his tank, and after seeing one of my puffers demolish a crab, he thought he had found the perfect weapon for revenge. He and his wife returned the remaining fish from the tank, and purchased a medium sized Porcupine Puffer. Set it loose in the tank, the next day when they were watching it, the puffer spun around, zoned in on a small crevice and blew a jet of water into it, a very surprised Mantis shrimp was blown out the other side... the puffer sort of looked at it's new owners... then went right over and bit the annoyance in half, much to the delight of it's new owners. From that point on they new that this was the pet for them. With it's puppy-like, and playful nature it quickly became the family's most treasured pet. They even upgraded it to a tank that was over 200 gallons because they enjoyed it so much. These are just one of the many people that formed strong attachments with their aquatic pet. An important note to mention here is that Porcupine puffers have another habit that any future owner should know about. These fish love to spray water out of the tank. They are like little fire hoses. So, remember to keep a sealed lid on your tank, and it's best not to have any expensive electronic equipment near there either. If you are looking for a fish with a personality, they you should look no further than the porcupine puffer. This is quite a long lived species so, expect to have this fish for at least 15 years!
(Above article taken from: http://www.reefnut.com/Puffer%20Article.htm )
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer

Post by chuckfriedrice »

Ive been squirted twice but I think it was on accident, lol . It was when i was getting ready to drop his food into the tank.
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer

Post by chuckfriedrice »

After several months of living in a Garage Petey is back home , where he suppose to be!
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

That'll teach him for not paying rent!! :evil:
chuckfriedrice wrote:After several months of living in a Garage Petey is back home , where he suppose to be!
sgtmyers88

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Show Pics! lol (even though I saw the ones on FB not everyone can see them there)
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome back chuck and petey.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

Petey is so cute! Its now my goal (because of him) to raise a tiny baby porky
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer

Post by chuckfriedrice »

Ill post the pics here tonight. Petey was living at the Inlaws garage cuz we were buying a house and the place we were renting the guy wouldnt let us stay til the short sale was done so Petey went with the Inlaws and my 55 went to my mothers . But Just had Petey moved to the new house and in a week or 2 the 55 will be brought to the new house ! But were back jack!
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer

Post by chuckfriedrice »