What kind of coral is suitable for a GSP?

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Anldyxp_GSP
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 Green spotted puffers
2 Green Terrors
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Convict
1 German Blue Ram
2 Red-Tail Tinfoil Barbs
2 Emerald Corys
Location (country): U.S.A

What kind of coral is suitable for a GSP?

Post by Anldyxp_GSP »

Hi guys. I recently set up a 20gal salt water tank for my GSP. I have added live sand and would like to get some live rock and coral as well. I would like to know what kinds of coral are suitable for a GSP? Would a GSP eat the coral? Thanks in advance!
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Re: What kind of coral is suitable for a GSP?

Post by J-P »

hard crunchy chew-able kind ;)

GSPs are typically FWOLR Fish with only live rock

Welcome to the forum!!!!
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Anldyxp_GSP
Puffer Fry
2 Green Terrors
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Convict
1 German Blue Ram
2 Red-Tail Tinfoil Barbs
2 Emerald Corys

Post by Anldyxp_GSP »

Thank you for the warm welcome! Up until now, I've just been an avid cichlid enthusiast so this is my first salt water tank. Thank you for the information. So would it be a bad idea for me to try turning this tank into a reef aquarium?
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

not with a gsp.

just do a live rock / fish only set up. You can do beautiful stuff with that alone :)

Anldyxp_GSP
Puffer Fry
2 Green Terrors
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Convict
1 German Blue Ram
2 Red-Tail Tinfoil Barbs
2 Emerald Corys

Post by Anldyxp_GSP »

understood! Thank you so much! Also, an unrelated question. My water is still a bit cloudy from the sand substrate, and there is a bit of foam at the top of the water. What can I do about this? Can you recommend a good water clarifier? Thanks again!
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

That is a matter of opinion.

I would say leave it. Beneficial bacteria LOVE that small silt to cling to. It helps with the cycling of the tank. It is unsightly but will clear up in time. With regular water changes and a vac it will look crystal clear in a short amount of time.

Others will go to great lengths to get the tank prepped and read ASAP. I'd say let it settle and vac it out once the tank is fully cycled.

Anldyxp_GSP
Puffer Fry
2 Green Terrors
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Convict
1 German Blue Ram
2 Red-Tail Tinfoil Barbs
2 Emerald Corys

Post by Anldyxp_GSP »

Ok got it. This tank was actually converted from a fully established fresh water tank, so I assume all of the bacteria has died from the salt and I need to wait until salt water bacteria has cultured, correct?

Also I noticed that there are different types of live rock like African, Carribbean, fiji etc. What are the differences between these? Which type would be suitable for my GSP?
Last edited by Anldyxp_GSP on Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

do you currently have live rock on there or sustainable live sand?

Anldyxp_GSP
Puffer Fry
2 Green Terrors
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Convict
1 German Blue Ram
2 Red-Tail Tinfoil Barbs
2 Emerald Corys

Post by Anldyxp_GSP »

J-P wrote:do you currently have live rock on there or sustainable live sand?
I used Caribsea live sand. No live rock yet, but I would like to add some in the next few days.
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

go with the live rock ...

Live rock seeds the sand. Not the other way around (in most cases ) :) You'll be happy with the results :D

Anldyxp_GSP
Puffer Fry
2 Green Terrors
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Convict
1 German Blue Ram
2 Red-Tail Tinfoil Barbs
2 Emerald Corys

Post by Anldyxp_GSP »

J-P wrote:go with the live rock ...

Live rock seeds the sand. Not the other way around (in most cases ) :) You'll be happy with the results :D
I noticed that there are different types of live rock. Are there big differences between Caribbean, Fiji, and African live rock? Which would benefit the GSP most?
JoseDepacos
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Valentini- Ripley
Location (country): USA

Post by JoseDepacos »

Anldyxp_GSP wrote:I noticed that there are different types of live rock. Are there big differences between Caribbean, Fiji, and African live rock? Which would benefit the GSP most?

The type of live rock you use is personal choice. It should all serve the same purpose. Is the gsp already in this tank? Did you properly cycle it before adding your gsp? Do you realize that this tank will be far too small for an adult gsp? Are you prepared in the not too distant future to provide a larger home and go through this process all over again? Did you know that most live rock needs to be cured before adding it to a tank with fish in it? If its not done properly it will cause ammonia spikes that will easily kill any fish in the tank. Did you know that vacuuming a marine tank is not recommended because you will pull out living organisms that filter your water? Have you considered a skimmer? Puffers are messy and create a lot of bioload. Normal filters can be used but are not as desirable for the same reason you shouldnt vacuum a marine tank. Skimmers also pull undisolved proteins from the water that can "go bad" and cause a marine tank to crash. Ok I'm gonna stop there cuz you may already know this stuff. But considering none of it has been discussed I thought these things should be questioned. Its a lot to consider and can be costly to get started but in the long run is actually cheaper (and can be easier) than maintaining a brackish or freshwater tank. Welcome and take in as much info as you can here. These folks know a ton about puffers and fish keeping.
Anldyxp_GSP
Puffer Fry
2 Green Terrors
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Convict
1 German Blue Ram
2 Red-Tail Tinfoil Barbs
2 Emerald Corys

Post by Anldyxp_GSP »

JoseDepacos wrote:
Anldyxp_GSP wrote:I noticed that there are different types of live rock. Are there big differences between Caribbean, Fiji, and African live rock? Which would benefit the GSP most?

The type of live rock you use is personal choice. It should all serve the same purpose. Is the gsp already in this tank? Did you properly cycle it before adding your gsp? Do you realize that this tank will be far too small for an adult gsp? Are you prepared in the not too distant future to provide a larger home and go through this process all over again? Did you know that most live rock needs to be cured before adding it to a tank with fish in it? If its not done properly it will cause ammonia spikes that will easily kill any fish in the tank. Did you know that vacuuming a marine tank is not recommended because you will pull out living organisms that filter your water? Have you considered a skimmer? Puffers are messy and create a lot of bioload. Normal filters can be used but are not as desirable for the same reason you shouldnt vacuum a marine tank. Skimmers also pull undisolved proteins from the water that can "go bad" and cause a marine tank to crash. Ok I'm gonna stop there cuz you may already know this stuff. But considering none of it has been discussed I thought these things should be questioned. Its a lot to consider and can be costly to get started but in the long run is actually cheaper (and can be easier) than maintaining a brackish or freshwater tank. Welcome and take in as much info as you can here. These folks know a ton about puffers and fish keeping.
Thank you for the welcome. Yes the GSP is already in the tank. Whether it has been properly cycled or not is in question. I mentioned that it was previously an established freshwater tank, so I assumed the freshwater bacteria cultures die off. I plan to eventually move my cichlids out of one of my 40gal breeders to a 75gal, and the puffers to the 40 gal. I am aware of the rock curing, i will check with the LFS to see if the rock has been cured before purchasing. What is an alternative to vacuuming the tank if it is not a good idea?

Also, is live rock picky about lighting? I currently use Marinland Doublebright LED systems for all my freshwater tanks. Would another Doublebright LED fixture be sufficient for this tank? Thank you!
trekenk
Fahaka Puffer

Post by trekenk »

Min. 60 gallons for the two and some people think that is still to small.
Welcome to the Puffer Forum btw.

P.S. This is news to me about not vacuuming a marine water tank.
JoseDepacos
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Valentini- Ripley
Location (country): USA

Post by JoseDepacos »

Yes, your freshwater bacteria is most assuredly dead. Good chance your gsp is in danger being in a tank that is likely not properly cycled. If you dont have a marine test kit, get one and keep a close eye on parameters. You will need to do lots of water changes till it does cycle. Lighting will have little to no affect on your live rock other than if its enough light you'll get some algae growth. Lighting has considerably more to do with coral health and growth. This shouldnt be a concern for now. I cant be more specific on the led's, I've never used them. As far as vacuuming, your live rock critters and some hermits will clean up nicely. Keeping plenty of extra shells scattered may help keep the puffer from bothering the hermits. He may not bother them at all. He may eat every one you put in there. That you'll have to test on your own. :P