Which salt mix?

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Usa

Which salt mix?

Post by Brandon8521 »

I was wandering what non RO/DI salt mix has the best calc/alk/mag levels?
I am currently useing the regular IO brand and that gives me calc of 400. I have been researching and it looks like seachem reef salt has great levels of calc and mag. Since im only keeping softies and sooner or later some easy LPS I am trying to stay away from have to dose calc. I use well water and with the IO brand I get great numbers but its allways a little slack on calc. Any suggestion would be great. Since i run streight tap water from the well and have really good source water with 0 trates and minimul phosphates(nothing doseing vitC hasnt been able to take care of quickley.)
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Re: Which salt mix?

Post by Brandon8521 »

N/M was just given this on a different forum. Looks like Oceanic is a good way to go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I haven't heard the best things about Oceanic (can't remember why though). Been using Reef Crystals for about 6 years. There are literally hundreds of threads on this at RC.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community
20g snail and shrimp breeding tank for puffers
Location (country): USA USA USA USA

Post by SammyDee »

RC keeps my calc/alk/mag pretty high i rarely have to dose. Althought the seachem looks better i havent tried it
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'L DIE TODAY' -JAMES DEAN
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

I may do my own test run between Oceanic and Seachem Reef Salt. Which ever is cheaper when its time to buy salt again. I do like the lower alk of oceanic though since with IO I stay at 13.