Maroon clown hosting powerhead.

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Usa

Re: Maroon clown hosting powerhead.

Post by Brandon8521 »

Have you tried any local reef clubs? I got my light set for 60 with brand new lights.
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(
Location (country): USA

Post by jus85411 »

ive tried searching google for philadelphia area reef clubs, fish clubs, i have even tried for reptiles and possibly trying to find breeders of dubia roaches and crickets to purchase from. none of the above have come up with successful searches. just stuff with the key words, when i put it in " " no search results found
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

If you cant find a local club on the net it might be worth it to ask your LFS since most small saltwater shops act like sponsers to local clubs.
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

Here are some reef clubs that are somewhat near you, I am surprised that there are none listed in Philadelphia

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forum ... .php?f=534
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community
20g snail and shrimp breeding tank for puffers
Location (country): USA USA USA USA

Post by SammyDee »

Soo r gonna DOOO it???
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'L DIE TODAY' -JAMES DEAN
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

IDK yet its unlikely but I will admit I do want one. I just dont want a crashed tank after so much work. If there is enough evidence out there that they can cohabitate with powerheads then I might give it a try.

So the questions is, how many of ya'll have nems kept in tanks with powerheads?
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

Sammy, what kinda lights are you running on your tank?

I have a double PC fixture (1-96w 10k and 1-50/50=actinic/fiji purple), does anyone know if this would be enough for a nem? Most of the reading say at least powercompact but just want to make sure.
jdak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Stars & stripes

Post by jdak »

I don't think so.
Check out my puffer, video, and tanks @ jdak.net.
46g reef
150g FO
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

I guess it will have to wait untill I upgrade to a bigger tank and switch to t5s.
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

Bcummings8521 wrote:I have a double PC fixture (1-96w 10k and 1-50/50=actinic/fiji purple), does anyone know if this would be enough for a nem? Most of the reading say at least powercompact but just want to make sure.
If I remember correctly you have a 36" tank right? For adequate T5 lighting for anemones (bta, lta, condy...) you are going to be needing at least 4x39watt T5s if the anemone is less than around 6" from the surface. Ideally 6x39watt T5. For any great depth 6x39watt is going to be more realistic. Some ebay knockoff fixture will not cut it, you should be looking at icecap/sunlightsupply/miro4/ATI. This is going to be at least $360 for a retrofit kit.

A much better option would be a single 250watt metal halide, you should be able to find a used one for around ~$200

In the mean time you could try and look around for a rock flower anemone (Epicystis crucifer), they should be fine under the current PC setup, but clowns will not host them.
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community
20g snail and shrimp breeding tank for puffers
Location (country): USA USA USA USA

Post by SammyDee »

I use T5 setup. 2 10,000k daylight bulbs and two 420/460 actinic bulbs. but if i was to do it again i wish i woulda did halide for white and the t5 for actinic. I seen a nice ballist that had the plugs for halide and t5 which was real nice but it had giant boxes seperate from the ballast and it just wasnt practical for me. But high powered T5s will do but halide I think my nem would be happiest.
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'L DIE TODAY' -JAMES DEAN
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

Im not going to look for lighting untill I upgrade tanks. I have a 55 but want to be a bit more stable financially before I get into a bigger tank. The PC will stay with this tank and become a planted tank so im trying to get everything growing in this tank then transplant with additions to a bigger tank in the future. Looks like the nem will have to hold off as I originally planed. I know this thread has changed topics but I would rather just ask more ?s on this one then keep createing new ones. Anyone know of a couple smaller fish that would fit in with this tank?
I was thinking a firefish goby and a neon dottyback and maybe some time of chromis/damsel.
BeachORama
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): NY

Post by BeachORama »

Not sure a nem + a curious GSP (without scales) is a good idea. :geezer:

jus85411 wrote:anyone know of a good link that classifies the nems by like hardiness, difficulty or anything. im interested in getting one but 1) i dont know how my GSP will take to it and 2) i only have the stock T8 lighting so i dont think i could support one unless i went out and did the T5's. which i would like to do sometime but i just dont feel i have the time to care for a nem if it has to be given certain things certain days. i would love to get one just for my clown because its part of their natural environment