Maroon clown hosting powerhead.

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Usa

Maroon clown hosting powerhead.

Post by Brandon8521 »

I was feeding my clown his evening meal and noticed something funny. He has allways hung around one of the powerheads that I only turn on for a few munutes a day(just to kick up some of the detritus.) When I was feeding him today I noticed that he would jet out and grab some food and then take it back to the powerhead and spit it out. He is hosting and trying to feed my powerhead. I was thinking about getting a nem but since my tank is still getting established it will have to wait. Just thought this was funny and wandering what is the strangest things some you all have had a clown host?
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA

Re: Maroon clown hosting powerhead.

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

thats funny, do you think that once you get a nem that he will stop and go to it?
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

Haha, I hadnt really thought of that. I might have to do a force breakup :( and remove the powerhead for a little while. It would suck if i never get to put that powerhead back in do to it cheating on its future host.
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(

Post by jus85411 »

my false perc clownfish hosts the pot decoration i have in my tank, i dont think its as funny or strange as the powerhead but still strange. he would clean it, shoo other fish from it, grab food and bring it over until he ate it then go grab more. hes a character
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

Its cool to watch. I moved the powerhead for more effectiveness during the short times that i run it and he followed it to its new location. It looks like ima have to take it out for a little while when I get something that I want it to host.
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

My black and whites hosted my derasa clam, one day the clam slammed shut on the female and both clam and clown died, soon after the male stopped eating. I worry your clown will get sucked into the powerhead, watch out for that.

Try rearranging the rock work and maybe putting a piece of black pvc or a broken flower pot in the back, they might like that...
jus85411
Mbu Puffer

Post by jus85411 »

yeah whatever they want to host they will follow. the pot decoration that i have the clown would follow from one end of the tank to the other whenever i moved it while re-organizing the tank and mixing up the decor a bit. when i moved i put that in the 45 gallon container with the clownfish, when i scooped him up and put him in he went right to it and stayed in it during the entire move. at the new house when i popped open the top of the container i looked in the pot and he was still hanging out in there. i have never seen him drop food onto the pot like you said he would do to the powerhead to try and feed it, that would have been even more hilarious though
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

Mek0ng wrote:My black and whites hosted my derasa clam, one day the clam slammed shut on the female and both clam and clown died, soon after the male stopped eating. I worry your clown will get sucked into the powerhead, watch out for that.

Try rearranging the rock work and maybe putting a piece of black pvc or a broken flower pot in the back, they might like that...
That would suck big time. Im not to worried about the powerhead getting him he is very healthy and its the koralia type so its fully caged.

Im going to get a big frogspawn or something for it to host in a couple weeks just dont know what yet. Any suggestions? Nems are out I think since I do have powerheads in my tank.
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community
20g snail and shrimp breeding tank for puffers
Location (country): USA USA USA USA

Post by SammyDee »

my marron clowns used to try to host my overflow box. Then I got a RBTA and they were like woot woot and feed it daily now lol. its neat to see there instincts kick in.

I ad a frogspawn before my RBTA and they never tried to host it. The LFS said theyd seen it but usually turn out bad for the frogspawn cuz it would stay closed all the time. Eventually dieing or finally gettin used to the clown. Why not just get a nem 1st. I always see white sabae anemones for like 30$ here in Michigan
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'L DIE TODAY' -JAMES DEAN
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

I have 2 decent sized powerheads and if a nem gets sucked in them im screwed. Im pretty sure my lights can support one but i dont want it getting all eaten up by the powerheads and then crashing my tank.
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community

Post by SammyDee »

well i guess thats a good fear but i also have two big powerheads too(Koralias) and my nem didnt even go near them. It will search for an optimum spot but just watch it. Once it finds a god spot it really shouldnt move. Mines been it the same spot since I got it. They like to be just under the plain of the flow from the powerhead so release it in that area and u should be fine. Hey man ur doing SW its alot of risk for any of it but just watch it. if he gets close to a powerhead take it out or turn it off. Definetly thou Id highly recommend the nem for the clowns. Its soo worth it. Id be willing to bet ur clowns wont touch a frogspawn. mine werent even interested at all. I had it for a few weeks too before i got the RBTA. which I would also recommend aRBTA bc theyre the most hardy and beautiful and the nem clowns r found in the wild most often. The LFS told me it may be a year b4 they host it but instantly they began hosting and feeding it before the nem really evn got settle. Do it u wont regret it. one of those things everones sees and is like WOW u got a nem and ur clowns r in SO COOL. my friends love it
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
45g FW community

Post by SammyDee »

DOOO IT itll be fine lol
jus85411
Mbu Puffer

Post by jus85411 »

anyone know of a good link that classifies the nems by like hardiness, difficulty or anything. im interested in getting one but 1) i dont know how my GSP will take to it and 2) i only have the stock T8 lighting so i dont think i could support one unless i went out and did the T5's. which i would like to do sometime but i just dont feel i have the time to care for a nem if it has to be given certain things certain days. i would love to get one just for my clown because its part of their natural environment
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

I wouldnt try one unless you at least have decent powercompact lights or better.
jus85411
Mbu Puffer

Post by jus85411 »

yeah i figured, maybe one day if i can find a good deal on craigslist on at least a fixture