Kenny's Reefs

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
jdak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Stars & stripes
Location (country): USA

Re: Kenny's 2.5gal Pico "Reef"

Post by jdak »

I've seen people build shields out of fishing line. Looks really cool. Lids also block oxygen exchange.
Check out my puffer, video, and tanks @ jdak.net.
46g reef
150g FO
JoseDepacos
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Valentini- Ripley

Post by JoseDepacos »

kENNY wrote:Mek0ng: Yeah i know...I'm gonna be getting a koralia nano soon... Also as I said I'm replacing this HOB with an AC70 so there should be tons of flow when I'm done adding equipment.

Check Amazon before you order anywhere else. You can get the recently discontinued line of Koralias dirt cheap on there. I ordered a Koralia 2 for $28 with shipping. They have the nano for about $21 before shipping costs.
kENNY
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Dwarf Puffer x2 - 5gHex

Post by kENNY »

I'm not really worried about the price of things...but thanks for the tip! :)

For now; I added a rigged 150GPH pump...

My astrea snail is getting the long stringy brown algae on it and I'm a bit amused by that. lol I added some fake corals for color too.

Live will hopefully come soon...but I'm going to be finishing my stocking before I get any live corals...

OH! The hermit crabs are more active since adding the new pump! All over the place and cleaning the LR/fighting like usual. :D
jdak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Stars & stripes

Post by jdak »

JoseDepacos wrote:
kENNY wrote:Mek0ng: Yeah i know...I'm gonna be getting a koralia nano soon... Also as I said I'm replacing this HOB with an AC70 so there should be tons of flow when I'm done adding equipment.

Check Amazon before you order anywhere else. You can get the recently discontinued line of Koralias dirt cheap on there. I ordered a Koralia 2 for $28 with shipping. They have the nano for about $21 before shipping costs.

Ya, i got 3 koralia 4 for under $100.... good deals.
Check out my puffer, video, and tanks @ jdak.net.
46g reef
150g FO
Mezzovex
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Dib the Fahaka
Location (country): United States, Oregon

Post by Mezzovex »

for a diy canopy, use the plastic craft canvas. you can cut it with scissors, and you can sew it together with fishing line. its like a dollar for a 8-11in sheet. you can get it at Joann fabrics, or Michaels crafts. or any craft store.. and it comes in different colors
Tanks I currently own:

125g freshwater tank w\ 30g sump, 840gph pump, ocean clear canister filter,
20" fire eel, and Dib the Fahaka

55g freshwater tank w\ Magnum 330 filter
Tigger the South American Puffer

5.5g nano saltwater tank
Clean up crew + coral + a strawberry dottyback
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community
20g snail and shrimp breeding tank for puffers
Location (country): USA USA USA USA

Post by SammyDee »

Mek0ng wrote:
SammyDee wrote:You will need glass cover to protect your light lens.
Nope, the only lights that NEED shielding is HQI metal halides. Any cover is going to block a good amount of light. The catch is what to do to keep fish from jumping out, there are many options from a DIY canopy to using eggcrate.

Sorry I have to disagree the benefits of glass far outweigh ugly eggcrate. Yes u do have to keep it clean or the light penetration lessens. And its helps with evap alot . It also is gonna keep moisture out of the light fixture so it wont rust and leak crap in the tank and kill your fish. Glass lids are cheap why make some ugly DIY cover IMO
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'L DIE TODAY' -JAMES DEAN
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community

Post by SammyDee »

Mezzovex wrote:for a diy canopy, use the plastic craft canvas. you can cut it with scissors, and you can sew it together with fishing line. its like a dollar for a 8-11in sheet. you can get it at Joann fabrics, or Michaels crafts. or any craft store.. and it comes in different colors
would that even allow enough light to penetrate? I hear of ppl using it for acclimating corals to new lights but for a constant cover Id imagine it would block a good portion of light
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

SammyDee wrote:
Mek0ng wrote:
SammyDee wrote:You will need glass cover to protect your light lens.
Nope, the only lights that NEED shielding is HQI metal halides. Any cover is going to block a good amount of light. The catch is what to do to keep fish from jumping out, there are many options from a DIY canopy to using eggcrate.

Sorry I have to disagree the benefits of glass far outweigh ugly eggcrate. Yes u do have to keep it clean or the light penetration lessens. And its helps with evap alot . It also is gonna keep moisture out of the light fixture so it wont rust and leak crap in the tank and kill your fish. Glass lids are cheap why make some ugly DIY cover IMO
Its a little late for me, so I'll just suggest you ask that question on reef central about glass canopies. I can tell you any quality light is going to be rust proof and have water proof end caps.
kENNY
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by kENNY »

OK....soo...

I'm going to get a new 24" light soon & a glass canopy [cuz it needs to look it's best for me]...BUT...my cycle is almost over [according to my friend] & it's full of diatoms.

This is the most recent picture that looks pretty cool but the second before I hit the button; my computer blew a powersupply, half a 8 year old surge protector, & the 160GB RAID1 hard drive array[meaning I had to start everything over on my computer and spend 200$ for new HD's in addition to the fit my boss threw and charged me $1,000 for when he killed a computer & blamed me...lol]:

The firefish being in his usual pissed mood[cuz I have been spending time with my sick betta]:

& a video of the firefish:
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
45g FW community

Post by SammyDee »

Looking good ya just need to ad some live rock
kENNY
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by kENNY »

Thanks!

And yeah; LR is the next thing I'm going to buy now... :)
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

your really making me want to do a nano
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
kENNY
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by kENNY »

Do it! :D

I love mine even though it's incomplete...

OH!!!!

This tank is the funds that were supposed to go to the 72 for me "graduating"...but I'm not done yet[waiting for writing results & to care about math] but...good news:

I'm almost done since i passed 3 of the 5 tests & I'm working on math. [slowly but surely] I'm thinking finishing this tank will be my total graduating present...
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

kENNY wrote:Thanks!

And yeah; LR is the next thing I'm going to buy now... :)
Just for future reference, when starting a marine tank, you should ALWAYS start with live rock, and have no fish in the tank till the rock has cycled. Do not add fish or anything else till you are done adding rock and the tank has cycled. Right now you run the risk of killing that firefish because the live rock will cause the tank to cycle again.

Congrats on passing and good luck!
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

congrats on passing
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.