Wolf eel and dragon wrasse

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
dab335
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Diodon Holocanthus, Canthigaster Compressa, Canthigaster Valentini, Arothron Nigropunctatus, Arothron Nigropunctatus(yellow-belly), Chilomycterus Schoepfi, GSP, F8

Wolf eel and dragon wrasse

Post by dab335 »

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a wolf eel and putting him in a tank with my dragon wrasse. Now the dragon wrasse buries himself under the substrate and I know the eel will just hide in the rock work. Do you think it's ok
to put them together?
L!$A
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Fahaka - Nala
Congo - Baloo
Arrowhead - Yzma

R.I.P
Kaleeko - Mbu Puffer
Milly - Fangs Puffer
Location (country): CANADA

Re: Wolf eel and dragon wrasse

Post by L!$A »

I do not know anyone with both of these fish together...but this is what I have come up with from a bit of research...

The wolf eel likes to feed on crustaceans, sea urchins, mussels, clams, snails and some other fishes.
(The quick research I did, did not specify which fish this eel may eat)

The dragon can be quite shy when first placed into their new settings, and also becomes very aggressive when they are an adult, they are also not reef safe for it will eat any invertebrate and fish that it finds small enough to eat. They will not eat corals but it will knock the corals over and move rocks in their search for food.. which could ultimately make an unexpected meeting with the eel.

I personally do not necessarily see a specific reason to not have these two fish together, but as always, with any new fish you are unsure about, always watch them for the first little while to make sure everything is okay. Also it is always better to get both fish, small, specifically the eel smaller then the dragon just in case he does decide the dragon may make a nice meal...

Just my 2 cents :) Hope this helps you somewhat.
dab335
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Diodon Holocanthus, Canthigaster Compressa, Canthigaster Valentini, Arothron Nigropunctatus, Arothron Nigropunctatus(yellow-belly), Chilomycterus Schoepfi, GSP, F8

Post by dab335 »

Hey, thanks for the reply. I already have the dragon wrasse, I'd say he a bit over a year old. The wolf eel is at a store I came across and he was maybe 8-10 inches! Idk, maybe I'll get the wolf eel and put him in another tank! He was really cool!
L!$A
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Fahaka - Nala
Congo - Baloo
Arrowhead - Yzma

R.I.P
Kaleeko - Mbu Puffer
Milly - Fangs Puffer
Location (country): CANADA

Post by L!$A »

Hey another tank always works!! :D :D
crazedpuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x Porcupine Puffer
1xValentini

Post by crazedpuffer »

As long as the dragon wrasse is a nice size I'd say go for it.
dab335
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by dab335 »

My dragon wrasse is about 8 inches. I think I might go for it! I'd love to get another saltwater tank! It's so hard now finding saltwater stuff, sumps etc. All our saltwater fish stores are closing due to the economy so all
I have access to is catalogs and Petco and Petsmart!