Online suppliers of live rock

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
dab335
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Diodon Holocanthus, Canthigaster Compressa, Canthigaster Valentini, Arothron Nigropunctatus, Arothron Nigropunctatus(yellow-belly), Chilomycterus Schoepfi, GSP, F8

Online suppliers of live rock

Post by dab335 »

Hi guys,
I haven't been around in a bit but back now! Hopefully, everyone and their fish are doing well! After moving three times with all my tanks, ughh! I am in dire need of some live rock! Every place here I bought from has nothing due to the economy! I was wondering if anyone knew of a great online website that I could get some Tonga branch!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Online suppliers of live rock

Post by Pufferpunk »

Do you have a reef club near you? Also try Craigslist.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
dab335
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Diodon Holocanthus, Canthigaster Compressa, Canthigaster Valentini, Arothron Nigropunctatus, Arothron Nigropunctatus(yellow-belly), Chilomycterus Schoepfi, GSP, F8

Post by dab335 »

I wish I did! I've found nothing! Every store I do find rock in, it's rubble. Nothing worth paying anything for! It's really sad all the specialty fish stores are all going out of business or stocking close to nothing due to the economy!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Well, there's always drsfostersmith.com. Be sure to check the Gen Disc forum for a sticky on rebates for them. How many lbs you looking for?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

dab335
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by dab335 »

At least 100 lbs. I need maybe 10 or 20 lbs to add to what I have in my established tanks then wanted to start another fish only tank. I'll try Dr fosters and see what they have available. It seems that only Petco has anything marine in stock and I won't buy anything there.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I've gotten some nice-sized pieces from them. Too bad you don't live near me. Half our reef club is getting out & tearing down their tanks--selling rock for cheap! I just left a message for a fellow around here who sells the stuff. Lets see if he ships for cheaper than DFS.

dab335
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by dab335 »

Awesome, thanks a ton! I need some big pieces to stack and then I can use what tonga branch I have to create some pass throughs etc
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

OK, just heard back from him:

Thanks, I can and will but I would recommend dry Marco Rock. My rock is good because it wont cycle as its part of my system but 1 day in wet paper you will have some die off. Also most of it is young, as its all aquacultured. In 6 months it will be a lot better. Then there is the cycle. Next Day Florida rock via Next Day is better as its 3 bucks but this is the wrong time of the year to ship. Unless they use Heat Packs. Below 72 a lot of the little critters get really stressed. Should really ship them no lower than 74 at a min.

Most of the tanks I set up I use Dry Marco and seed it with the rock that corals are attached to. Great results after 6 months and after 1 year you would not know the difference.

I do some consulting and I would recommend 75-90 Lbs of dry. This stuff is pretty good https://www.petsolutions.com/Reef-Rock+I12517147.aspx for the price but no personality. I might ship 500lbs if it is free shipping. I really like the Marco Rock plan on bringing up another ton next month. Have him ship up 10-25% of the best Florida rock next day to seed the dry. In 6 Months he will have the same results at a lower cost. 10% Live is better 25% Live will give you a cycle.

Just to let you know, i was just on the Pet Solution's website & they were offering free shipping for orders >$99. Not sure it it includes heavy items like LR but I was planning on getting a bunch of salt from them.

dab335
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by dab335 »

Thanks, I'll look at petsolutions today!
dab335
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by dab335 »

Hey PP,
have you ever heard of tampabaysaltwater.com?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes I have--never used them. Do a search for vendors at Reef Central in the Feedback Forum.

dab335
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by dab335 »

Will do, Thanks!!!
dab335
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by dab335 »

Hey PP I'm gonna give the tampabaysaltwater a try for the live rock! I'll post pics when I get the stuff, probably after the holidays! I read in another post you had some Kenya tree frags for sale? I had a great Kenya tree and my grouper kept sleeping under it and even though I moved it to another tank, the damage was done and I lost it. They are so beautiful! Do you have any frags left?
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by Mek0ng »

I have some tampa bay, I got some in a group buy, the stuff was great. Watch out for gorilla crabs, there were TONS on the shipment, luckily one of the members has a mantis, oooh the carnage! The stuff was covered in sponges, all of which didnt last in anyones tank, lots of cycling to be done, so dont have any live stock in there for the cycle, its more than a fiji cycle. Over all I would say its great rock.

I put mine in my fuge, sadly its covered to the core with calupera, so I am gonna have to cook the rocks...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have tons of great frags for sale.