Lights: Metal Halides

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 25g saltwater with 3 percula clownfish and a falco hawkfish. Currently has 1 large turbo snail with more invertabrates to come.
Location (country): Michigan, USA

Lights: Metal Halides

Post by alexk3303 »

I wasn't really sure to put this but here it is.
I'm looking for some decent lights to put pver my 25 gallon tank (3 clowns and a falco hawkfish) and found these: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bfs/1484152056.html I don't have a big budget which is why I'm considering those. Would they work if I bought a good bulb for them? Currently I have a flourescent tube that come as a part of a $20 hood. I'm hoping to have some beginner corals and maybe an anemone, with the possibility of later moving up to more advanced corals. Any opinions on these?

Thanks!
alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 25g saltwater with 3 percula clownfish and a falco hawkfish. Currently has 1 large turbo snail with more invertabrates to come.

Re: Lights: Metal Halides

Post by alexk3303 »

Or maybe one of these? http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/1474282505.html

Thanks again
Eager Newbie
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United States

Post by Eager Newbie »

Those lights are for industrial uses, like warehouses, not aquariums. I feel like putting even one of those over your aquarium will fry or bleach any coral you put under it.
If your only going to be putting easy corals in a T5 fixture would work great. Anemones are NOT for begginers. I strongly recommend you not get one. They require pristine water quality and are very sensitive. If you want something like a nem. try looking for GSP. Green spotted polyps.

For lighting, look at this:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/aqua ... inic-.html

Lighting is not something you should skimp on. There is two bulb version of this for 70 dollars, but the standard 25g (which im assuming you have) is deep and needs a light that can penetrate deep to the bottom of the tank. This fixture would allow you to keep a wide range of corals. Metal Halide and LEDS are the best, but very, very expensive. LEDs are currently not available as high powered fixtures for aquariums and would require a DIY project.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Neither look appropriate for aquariums. If I were you, I'd just go with a Power Compact fixture for now.
+1 on the anemone--not for a beginner & certainly not for a new system.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer

Post by alexk3303 »

Ok, thanks.
The nem definitly wasn't going to be anytime soon, but at the rate I'm moving I figure I may eventually get one. I'm just shooting to get some of the "better" stuff out there because I'm slowly diving deeper into the hobby and having to replace equipment. Because of my low budget, for now I'm going to look into the DIY leds, I think I'm handy enough :]

Thanks!
Eager Newbie
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Eager Newbie »

Head over to nano-reef.com They have awesome articles on LED projects. Just to let you know, LEDs will be just as expensive as the halides, although much more efficient. The LEDs used are very high powered and hard to find. They cost about 8-20 dollars each. You will need soft white ones and blue, about 10 of each I would think. You also need power supplies, drivers, and heatsinks. It's a daunting task. You have to be good with a soldering iron.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.p ... pic=186982

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.p ... pic=200335
alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer

Post by alexk3303 »

OK thanks... looking at the LEDs more they are getting more expensive. What about Compact Florescent Lights? They are "all the rage." Would the typical cfl moneysaver bulbs work in conjunction with a blue cfl (I've seen them before at my local menards).

Thanks!
Eager Newbie
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Eager Newbie »

To be honest, if your on a tight budget, this hobby is not for you.
alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer

Post by alexk3303 »

Yeah, you're probably right. The clowns are doing fine with the current florescent tube but I was thinking if I wanted to start corals I would need better lights.
Eager Newbie
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Eager Newbie »

Yeah, sorry. IF your looking for the best for your money, the T5HO I showed you would be best. What are the specifics for your light you have now?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Eager Newbie wrote:To be honest, if your on a tight budget, this hobby is not for you.
I have to agree 100% on that one.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer

Post by alexk3303 »

The current light is a single 24" florescent tube 120 volts 19 watts 60hz, other then that it gave me no other information, one more reason to upgrade. I bought it back when I started (with a fw tank) and it was $20 with the hood. Other then that there isn't much information on it, which is why I want to replace it.
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by Mek0ng »

If you go with T5s, make sure they have individual reflectors. The reflectors REALLY make the difference over powercompacts. There are even some knock of brands that have individual reflectors, but dont really work too well. ATI, Miro-4, Sunlight Supply, and Icecap are top of the line T5s, where as Current is just a tad better than a powercompact fixture which if you get into the hobby you are going to replace rather soon.

Another option is the Coralife hang on tank MH.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have a clamp on MH called a Viper, over my 15g frag tank.

DarkStorm
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Picasso Trigger,
Burma Trigger,
Golden Heart Trigger,
Clown Trigger,
Rectangular Trigger,
Porcupine Puffer.
Location (country): Canada

Post by DarkStorm »

leds are the future of this hobby.
i just purchashed 5 more of these panels there cheap and they blow away what my metal halids did, plants love them fish love them, the water never gets evaporated and my power usage is almost nill.
http://cgi.ebay.com/225-Blue-WHITE-LED- ... %26ps%3D63
best part is there the last lights ill every buy for the tank just set up.