Lights: Metal Halides

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): USA

Re: Lights: Metal Halides

Post by Mek0ng »

alexk3303 wrote:Ok thanks, i think I'm going to buy these and just mount it over my tanks with the extra overhanging. This way if I want to keep corals I have something I know will work. Tell me what you think about them please. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT
Those are normal output T5s, not bright enough at all.

Really you are not going to find a decent lighting option that cheap, period. Is the tank 24"? If so you are looking at $200-300 for anything decent new. There are TONS of cheapo knock off crap out there that might work okay (read: dont waste your $), but really you are going to want to replace them, even if you just keep softies. You should be looking at either a single MH 150/175 watt or a good brand highoutput T5s with individual parabolic reflectors from some place like IceCap, Miro4, Sunlightsupply, ATI... The Coralife and Current T5s are not the same output as the previously listed brands.

Its not cheap to keep a reef, sure you can cut some corners, but get the right equipment to learn with, that way to wont be constantly running into problems and needing to replace/upgrade. Expect to pay some where around $200-300+ for a decent skimmer as well. 2-part solution isnt cheap in the long run, same with GFO and phosphate reactor... It all adds up!

Try this

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Flu ... ght_Supply

24" 4x24W Tek Light T5 High-Output Fixture w/ Bulbs (Black)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yeah, that deal is way too good to be true. If you're going to use T5s they must have individual reflectors ore you might as well just use regular fluorescent bulbs.

If you're looking for a 30" fixture, I have an Orbit PC with an actinic & 10,000 daylight bulbs that are brand new. Highest output kind you can get for PCs. I paid $35/bulb & that's all I'm looking back for them. Plus shipping.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Eager Newbie
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United States

Post by Eager Newbie »

I would say you wouldn't need a skimmer (don't trust me, just an opinion) Here is why:
Skimmers remove all the loose proteins in your water, all the stuff corals like to eat.
In such a small tank, for corals that require more than just photosynthesis for energy, you might need to dose nutrients and feed the corals directly, which would be a hassle.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Not true, skimmers remove waste. If a coral eats, you should feed it anyway. Depending on the tank, you could buy a cheap HOB skimmer for <$100. Also, you can make your own additives for very cheap: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#4
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Eager Newbie
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United States

Post by Eager Newbie »

Skimmers produce micro bubbles that remove all detrius from the water, at least that is my understanding, right? And corals feed off floating particles. Please correct me if I'm wrong, always learning here.
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

not all corals eat the same stuff. Most of the corals in the hobby dont need any food to be put into the tank, just adequate lighting. I am not speaking in absolutes... but really you dont need to feed most of them. A skimmer is always a good thing to have, in an aquarium you are going to have waste accumulating and the skimmer is going to help remove that.

In a tank that size you could get away without skimming if you do plenty of water changes, 5g a week I would say with either natural saltwater or home mixed RO/DI water. Keep in mind a skimmer also adds air to the water, so you want to make sure you have a open top or canopy with enough water flow.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Corals don't feed off detritus. Many, many corals eat meaty foods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_skimmers

alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 25g saltwater with 3 percula clownfish and a falco hawkfish. Currently has 1 large turbo snail with more invertabrates to come.
Location (country): Michigan, USA

Post by alexk3303 »

I do have a skimmer (octopus 100) although its rated higher then my tank, from what I heard its way overrated and at absolute max should be used for a 29g, so I'm safe with it on my 25g. I am looking at mostly (if not all). I am about to send you a pm pufferpunk, thanks!
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

alexk3303 wrote:I do have a skimmer (octopus 100)
:grats: :grats:

two thumbs up for that skimmer on your tank
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Always use a skimmer that is over rated for your tank. Same with any filtration.