Live Rock Question

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 25g saltwater with 3 percula clownfish and a falco hawkfish. Currently has 1 large turbo snail with more invertabrates to come.
Location (country): Michigan, USA

Live Rock Question

Post by alexk3303 »

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the differance between the base rock at my lfs and the rocks outside my house are. I guess the "actual" base rock has more surface area. Can anyone please tell me why I should pay for the lfs' rock and not just boil/clean my own?

Thanks!
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Re: Live Rock Question

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Base rock is actually not rock. It's some kind of coral thingy. It's very porous and holds tons of bacteria and tiny organisms once it's live again.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
robert_hollis
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 3 SAPs - Lucky, Dusty, & Ned
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by robert_hollis »

I think surface area, and looks is the thing. I mean, there's the whole issue of possible contaminants in what you have outside your house, but...

The more porous the rock, the better. That's why so many people don't like to use Texas holey rock for base rock. They want something less dense, and more porous cause it can act as a better filter once it becomes live rock...

Then again... I'm not a marine expert...

-Rob
You read it! You can't unread it!
Jivenjune
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: (2) GSPs in a 60 gallon.
Location (country): California.

Post by Jivenjune »

Also, from my understanding, coralline algae won't just grow on any type of rock. You probably can't seed the rocks outside your house with coralline algae, which would defeat a significant purpose of having live rock.
alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 25g saltwater with 3 percula clownfish and a falco hawkfish. Currently has 1 large turbo snail with more invertabrates to come.

Post by alexk3303 »

Ok thanks! I am about to embark on DIY live rock... wish me luck :yikes:
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Good luck!

Are you going to rinse it in the toilet tank?
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer

Post by alexk3303 »

Rinse it in the toliet tank sounds odd, yet like it would be strangely effective.... good idea.
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by Mek0ng »

Jivenjune wrote:Also, from my understanding, coralline algae won't just grow on any type of rock. You probably can't seed the rocks outside your house with coralline algae, which would defeat a significant purpose of having live rock.
Coraline will grow on anything, pumps, sand, the plastic turkey baster spout that got lost behind my rocks and I can not reach...

The reason you dont want to use any old rock or rocks typicaly used for fresh water is #1 porousness (as stated above) #2 buffering, the rocks will help keep the ph, alk and calcium at better levels. #3 other rocks can release phosphates and silicates causing algae blooms, they can also release much worse things.

Personally I have never seen a man made rock look as good as a live rock in a reef tank. If you are gonna make your own rock look at:

http://www.garf.org
http://www.mindspear.com/reef/concrete/index.htm
http://www.athiel.com/lib3/arago.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~daves-reef/diy_liverock.htm
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

alexk3303 wrote:Rinse it in the toliet tank sounds odd, yet like it would be strangely effective.... good idea.
Dadof4 did that. Every time someone flushes, it gets a water change. He said his "rock" turned out really well.

I AM A DUDETTE!

marksrush
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: One GSP.

Post by marksrush »

I have used limestone-y rocks from my yard, and coralline algae - and other kinds as well - have grown great on it. I also have some sort of lava type rock in there, and it's got lots on it, too.

Unless there's something I'm missing, rinsing rock in your toilet tank would be no different than rinsing it under the tap since both come from your main water line. Are you talking about just letting it sit in there a while, so it gets good and rinsed, kind of more for convenience than anything else? That's not a bad idea, actually.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Yes,leaving it there for a long time, for convenience.

I AM A DUDETTE!

Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:
alexk3303 wrote:Rinse it in the toliet tank sounds odd, yet like it would be strangely effective.... good idea.
Dadof4 did that. Every time someone flushes, it gets a water change. He said his "rock" turned out really well.
WTF?

You rinsed the man made live rock in the toilet tank? I dont see whats so bad about the hose and a 5g bucket, but hey I guess that works too :flush:
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

I think the recipe he used needed to be soaked and get water changes for a long time.

I AM A DUDETTE!

alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer

Post by alexk3303 »

yeah I know diy live rock has to be soaked for about 3 monthes with water changes, which is what makes the toliet option seem so easy and convenient. I've also heard of people putting it in a river or pond by their house but I would think something(s) might make it their new home.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Yeah... I wouldn't do that either.

I AM A DUDETTE!