Skimmer problem

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
CarmenH
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Doug, Takifugu Ocellatus RIP :-(
Frankie, Monotrete Turgidus
Zephyr, ???Tetraodon nigroviridis???
Location (country): Ontario, Canada

Skimmer problem

Post by CarmenH »

I've had a coralife superskimmer 125 on my 90g tank for about 3 weeks now. As everyone says, it's been a trick to adjust :-) I finally had it operating well, getting a bit if gunk but not overfilling, and all was well for a couple of weeks. I've emptied it a few times. I emptied it last night, then this morning, I checked it and the catch basket was full of relatively clear water and overflowing. I figured it needed a slight downward adjustment so I turned it right down, unplugged it, and emptied the catch. Put the catch basket back on and plugged it in, it filled instantly to overflowing. Tried again in case I hadn't tightened it enough, plugged in again, same thing. I had to leave it off as I was late for work! When I go home tonight, I'll play with it, but does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

If nothing else, this has convinced me to put a hose on the drain of the catch basket to a large bucket...the carpet under the tank got a little damp and the hubby will NOT be impressed if he notices :-) (The pump is high enough in the tank that if it had this same issue again or worse, the inhabitants would have most of the water left!)
Carmen
Zephyr, Giant mutant Tetraodon Nigroviridis???
Odie, Tetraodon biocellatus RIP :-(
Doug, Takifugu Ocellatus RIP :-(
Jivenjune
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: (2) GSPs in a 60 gallon.
Location (country): California.

Re: Skimmer problem

Post by Jivenjune »

If your tank is relatively new, there might not be enough substances in your tank to produce the appropriate amount of skimmate you are desiring. Also, if you are adding any chemicals (dechlorinators, ammonia removers, algae removeres, etc), these may irritate the skimmer and cause it to stop functioning for short periods of time. Aside from that, I have no idea. Hope it all works out.
alexk3303
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 25g saltwater with 3 percula clownfish and a falco hawkfish. Currently has 1 large turbo snail with more invertabrates to come.
Location (country): Michigan, USA

Post by alexk3303 »

I had the same issue with my octopus 100. It was because I dosed the tank with a chlorine/chlormine remover which the skimmer didn't like. I did a large (50-75%) water change (This was before I got the fish) and that solved it. If I were you I'd just do a few medium size water changes and se if that fixes it. Good Luck!
CarmenH
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Doug, Takifugu Ocellatus RIP :-(
Zephyr, ???Tetraodon nigroviridis???
Location (country): Ontario, Canada

Post by CarmenH »

I got home last night and put everything back together and played with the water level adjuster dial and it seems to be working just fine now! I don't know if I was in too much of a hurry yesterday and had something set wrong, or what??? Anyhow, I appreciate the info, I had no idea that so many things could affect the skim rate, so if/when I run into problems again, it's good to know!
Carmen
Zephyr, Giant mutant Tetraodon Nigroviridis???
Odie, Tetraodon biocellatus RIP :-(
Doug, Takifugu Ocellatus RIP :-(
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by Mek0ng »

Your running HOB right?

catch basket? I guess you mean collection cup, the thing where all the stinky water/foam goes right? If you are already having problems with the skimmer overflowing a drain on the collection cup is going to make things worse unless the collection container that you have set up is huge. The skimmer will start overflowing and pump out all the water in the tank till the pump runs dry.

You could do a gate valve mod that is much easier to adjust than the red knob, very easy to do, just cut the pipe and replace with pvc parts. Also the red knob can leak on some of these skimmers, so its an easy fix for that too.

I run my superskimmer 220 in sump, and with a constant water level it never overflows. I really think that the HOB idea on these skimmers is an after thought. On HOB skimmers like the remora, if the skimmer overskims there is no chance of it making a mess.