protein skimmer

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
sample789
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Puff daddy my GSP and my two SAPs named gibralter and fang, and now my two dwarf puffers named behemoth and goliath
Location (country): north america

protein skimmer

Post by sample789 »

ive been reading every where that you need a protein skimmer to have a marine tank, but ive had mine set up for over 6 months which i no isnt really a long time but i havent had any problems other then my shrimp dying. so now i guess i will invest in one but im strapped for money. another thing is i dont have a sump which is something ive been wanting to look into, really everywhere i look the reading is so complicated i dont understand what there talking about and im more of a picture oriented person so i like to have pictures to help me understand what people are talking about, so if there is a link for how one works i would like to see it. but back to my point i need a HOB skimmer or one that i can put directly in the tank. the tank is a thirty gallon FOWLR tank, and i would like the cheapest skimmer that will efficiently clean my tank.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: protein skimmer

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'd go with a Backpac skimmer for that tank. I have one on my 40g & it works very well. Once you pour out your 1st cup of dark brown, foul-smelling crap that it has collected, you'll wonder how your tank existed with that gross stuff in it.

All skimmers have basically the same design. Air bubbles are produced either through an airstone, a venturi valve, or by water being forced downward via pressure. As these bubbles move up water is forced downward against them. During this period the hydrophilic portion of compounds adhere to the surface of the bubbles. At the top of the chamber the bubbles burst and the compounds that have adhered to them are released, creating a foamy layer on the surface of the chamber. This foamy layer is then pushed up a small tube that sits on top of the reaction chamber. As the foam accumulates eventually it pushes up over this collection tube and comes to rest in the collection cup where it can be readily removed. The efficiency of this skimmer is a function of bubble size and contact time. Smaller bubbles have a greater surface area than do larger bubbles and consequently more compounds can adhere to them. Also the longer the contact time between these air bubbles and the water, the greater the number of compounds that can adhere to them. Smaller bubbles also flow through the water more slowly than do larger bubbles and therefore increase the contact time.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sample789
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Puff daddy my GSP and my two SAPs named gibralter and fang, and now my two dwarf puffers named behemoth and goliath

Post by sample789 »

lol that was so much easier to understand ill check my LFS to see if they have any back packs if not i will see if they could order me one since i cant order off the internet thank you so much pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Check the Used Equipment forum at: http://www.reefcentral.com.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by Mek0ng »

I think one of these would be considered MINIMUM:

http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/ap2602.php
sample789
Dwarf Puffer

Post by sample789 »

haha you could buy a brand new car for that much
Jase
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: RIP Hootey :(

Post by Jase »

Like PP said, Backpac makes good HOB skimmers. You might also look into the Aqua C Remora skimmers.
If you kind find one with an upgraded pump, that would be best. Last time I checked they came with Rio pumps which aren't bad, but have definite room for improvement.
-Jase
edmlfc1 wrote:A house without a puffer is not a home. :D
Jivenjune
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: (2) GSPs in a 60 gallon.
Location (country): California.

Post by Jivenjune »

Jase wrote:Like PP said, Backpac makes good HOB skimmers. You might also look into the Aqua C Remora skimmers.
If you kind find one with an upgraded pump, that would be best. Last time I checked they came with Rio pumps which aren't bad, but have definite room for improvement.
I'm a huge fan of the AquaC Remora skimmer. I have one with a maxi-jet 1400(?). I have to empty out the cup roughly every three days. The skimmate it produces isn't opaque; however, it is a fairly dark tea color. Keep in mind that if you decide to get a Remora, it might be unbearably loud without an extremely 10 second modification (you jam either foam or paper towels in the left side of the Remora where the water sprays out of it). This by itself reduces it's loudness by 70-80 percent. I can't hear mine from a few feet away.
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

cant go wrong with a coralife super skimmer 220, I had a remora, remora pro (upgraded to mag7) and the superskimmer is WAY better. The 220 might be kinda large, but it wouldnt hurt and for the $ its probably the best skimmer that can be HOB
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Those are touchy to adjust & must be turned off when doing a WC or top off. Does skim very well though.

Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

I have mine in the sump, so I guess I dont have those problems...

the gate valve mod works great, super easy to adjust.

I hear that deltec makes the best HOB skimmer but its freaking expensive.