THe FAQs Of Skimmers read this BEFORE you buy one

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: THe FAQs Of Skimmers read this BEFORE you buy one

Post by Pufferpunk »

It's not worth $1. I got mine for free & still paid $50 for a used Backpac.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Usa

Post by Brandon8521 »

Thnx for the tip PP.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

No problem. ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Okay so it is about time for me to get my first sump & skimmer system set up for the 55G that my GSP's are housed in. What kind of shopping list do I need for a DIY system? I was thinking of starting off with a 10 gallon tank with a couple of my powerheads and some 1 inch plastic tubing and attach it to my homemade prefilter using filter media and UGF parts that will be placed inside of the aquarium.

Please excuse the crudity of my design schematic.

Thoughts Anyone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
dfaik
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Netherlands

Post by dfaik »

I wish that I had read this about two weeks ago - LOL.

In any case, great pointers and I did not know that the wooden air stone needed replacing in air driven skimmers.

I have a 240 liter tank and some time ago bought the Juwel skimmer that fits in. It is venturi and seems to pull much black goo from the water after feeding time, but does seem to rely on the water level not changing much and some adjustments of the air intake. Makes me concerned about going away on vacation, as the fish will not be fed so much and light reduced, but I prefer "idiot proof" equipment that can be explained to another operator easily.

I bought an airfilter from Red Sea called the "Berlin Airlift" which does use an airline and a wooden diffuser. It has no adjustment for the air intake and suggest that also aligning the water-level is important. It sits in tank (have not been brave enough to start figuring external sumps yet, have visions of flooding my apartment with all that water leaving the tank). I have not tested this air skimmer yet but planned to set it up at the weekend.

Anyway (long pre-ramble apologies), my question is that I have a quite powerful pond air pump. Was wondering if one could push too much air into one of these things? Or would forcing more air in always mean more gunk out? Curious on your thoughts / advice before I set it up and play. Also if you had any views or had heard the model was OK, a dud etc?

I paid 450 euro for the thing and the mechanical skimmers that were not nano models were (with the exception of the Juwel model that I already own) all four times the price.