Pufferpunk tell me about Vitamin C

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Lyretail Anthias
Puffer Fry

Re: Pufferpunk tell me about Vitamin C

Post by Lyretail Anthias »

Thank you so much for your reply..

First off, with no3 I actually meant nitrate and not nitrite, but my nitrite and amm are 0, sorry to scare you. As far as my tank goes, I have 110 lbs of LR plus some rubble in the sump. It's been up and running now for 8 years. It was somewhat neglected for the last 5, not so much as totally run over and forgotten, just that i never did WC and I only had 4 fish so I wasn't too concerned. In june, I decided I wanted to bring it back and I did. I do WC weekly 20 gallon. I was dosing vodka for 10 weeks and got the nitrates to 20 and the phosphates to .5, but then I seem to have hit a wall. They would not go any lower. I stopped and have been dosing sugar now for about 2 weeks with minimal results, but I really didn't expect mush yet. The levels have still stayed at 20 and .5. My goal is to get them down to <10 and undetectable on the phosphates. And I will stop sugar if I decide to go the VC route...

As far as the product I use,what would be the ill effects I would have if I used what I currently have? Is there a way to find out if what I have is buffered? The product I have says "crystalline, non-acidic" on the label and the only ingredients is Vitamin C(as Calcium Ascorbate) 5000mg and Calcium(as Calcium Ascorbate) 750mg. thank you again for your time...
Lyretail Anthias
Puffer Fry

Hi haven't heard anything back, but thought I would try again. I have a new question.

Is Vitamin C a way to treat Zoo Pox? I think I have them but have not been able to find a definitive answer..

thanks...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Calcikum ascorbate is buffered to 7.1.

Yes, I have used VC to cure zoapox. My suggestion is to QT the infected zoas, dose VC at 50-100ppm & do SW water dips with Furan for 20-30 minutes, every other day fo 3 dips or until it's gone. Problem with dosing VC at such high levels in a small tank is you MUST use a skimmer with that.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Lyretail Anthias
Puffer Fry

thank you puffer, I was waiting to hear a reply about the calcium ascorbate before I tried it. So it sounds like what I have will work. I'll go very slowly though and watch my ph very closely. I'll start tonight for that matter. So I should start with 5 ppm, you said right? That would be just under 1900 mg and since what I have is 5000 per tsp, I'll start with 1/4 tsp, right?

I'm picking up some Furan tomorrow.As far as the zoa pox, will i be doing any damage if i dip them and it's not actually pox? I have been having trouble getting definitive answers. here's some pics, what do you think? thanks...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think it's pox but do me a favor & brush them off with a soft toothbrush & post a new pic.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Lyretail Anthias
Puffer Fry

thanks give me a minute and i'll have those for you...
Lyretail Anthias
Puffer Fry

it's really hard to tell if it's detritus or pox with them all closed up now, but i brushed them off but only seem to have gotten the tops, a bit afraid to give too much pressure, i guess...

here' the new pics:
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Those are pretty good pics. I definately see less of what looked like pox now but think I might see a few still. Have you seen this?
http://www.zoaid.com/articles004.php

Lyretail Anthias
Puffer Fry

Yes I have, thank you, but what I see on mine doesn't seem to be "attached" to the zoos like in that pic. I'm just nervous to dip them if not necessary. But I just want to catch it if it is before it spreads. Neither of my other zoos are affected and from what I understand, my palys won't be affected.

Do you think I should just dose vitamin C and see if it goes away with that? They just aren't opening like they used to...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Regular maintence dosing (5ppm), won't get rid of zoapox. It should look just like a whitehead under the skin.

Lyretail Anthias
Puffer Fry

thanks went over it with a toothbrush again this morning, i was more forceful. I think i have a nudi so I am going to do an iodine dip tonight...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

If you have nudis, sneak up on them with a flashlight at night. Be sure to look closely for eggs.

Lyretail Anthias
Puffer Fry

yeah i think i got the eggs but not the nudi. I have looked at all my zoas and palys and no sign. I have QT'd and am getting ready to do the dip now. Here is what I saw originally:
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yup, definitely a zoa-eating nudi in that 1st pic & eggs in the 2nd. The nudi takes on the color of the zoa they are eating. Did you find that fella?

Lyretail Anthias
Puffer Fry

nope, gave them a FW iodine dip, but nothing fell off. Just on a whim yesterday when I thought it was just zoo pox and after that pic was taken, I did dip them in a ro/di with some VC so it may have fallen off then, but didn't know i was looking for it back then. some stuff did come off in that dip. I'm currently working on my net lid for my tank so I can put a yellow coris wrasse in tomorrow. my LFS says he has one. That's one of the fish on my wish list so I am just getting it sooner than later...