Basement Aquarium Idea, Any Advice Will Be Helpful !

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Nickdavey126
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Basement Aquarium Idea, Any Advice Will Be Helpful !

Post by Nickdavey126 »

Hi ! I have this Aquarium idea that I would like to get advice on or maybe even receive some other ideas from you guys. I am planning on getting a round stock tank that holds around 120 gallons of water. This idea was given to me from a few videos I have seen about these types of aquarium setups and while also browsing some other saltwater aquarium forums. The reason for placing it in the basement is because my house is quite old and we recently started dealing with some flooring issues and I’d rather be safe than sorry. We do laundry down there and I was originally worried about dryer fumes but I remembered they get vented out of the house. I don’t think heating should be much of an issue , it typically stays around the 60s down there from my understanding and with the obvious addition of heaters in the stock tank I don’t think it should be a problem. It does sometimes get damp down there already sometimes would this be a problem ? I plan to get a covering of sorts and I have found a pond filter that filters up to 300 gallons that I believe could work good (please correct if I’m wrong) as I will be treating this aquarium as a pond. If I’m missing any details that should be noted about this please let me know ! Any advice will be taken as I want to do this correctly . Thank you ! Here’s my baby Dumpling for an added bonus. Once again , thank you all for the advice !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Basement Aquarium Idea, Any Advice Will Be Helpful !

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sorry, I'm just seeing this. Did you begin the process? Great idea to use the basement, although you're going to need several heaters to raise the temp 20 degrees.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Nickdavey126
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by Nickdavey126 »

Thank you for the reply ! I have not started the process yet because I’m currently back on my college campus with my fish and I’m also treating the fish for crypt currently. I still plan on doing this though and yes ! I plan to use several heaters given the large size of the tub and the fact it is going to be in the basement. Once I get started I will definitely share the progress !
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

As far as heater efficiency a plumbed inline heater will ensure the best transfer of heat. If I needed that amount of heat pumped I would go with a couple big titanium heaters on an inkbird controller. The inline plumbing can be made relatively inexpensively with some PVC and bulkheads/grommets. I had made a small one for a canister setup a while back for astetics but would be the best way IMO to get the best performance out of them.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk