Tank updates - puffers & tankmates

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: GSP: Puff Diddy
GSP: Julia *RIP*
GSP: Nan
2 ocellaris clowns (Fred & Ginger), Yellow Watchman goby (Snape) & fine-striped pistol shrimp (Blondie), lawnmower blenny (Lennie *RIP*), mandarin (Po), tailspot blenny (Basil), longnose hawkfish (Fergus), flame hawkfish (Carol)

CUC: tuxedo urchin (Spike), electric blue hermit (Hagrid), 3 turbo snails, turban snail, orange lip conch (Sheldon), 2 scarlet leg hermits
Location (country): Canada (Vancouver)

Re: Tank updates - puffers & tankmates

Post by Maggiec » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Well, it's been a little while since my last update...
I was perusing the local forums as usual and saw an ad offering up a GSP for adoption (owner just got a dog). He had it in a nice setup but didn't think he had time to care for it as much anymore. I thought it must be fate, so 2 weeks after losing Julia, I brought Nan home (named her after Nancy Kerrigan). I did the 24-hour acclimation to full salt. She was very unafraid and immediately latched onto Diddy, following him around like a little dog. He kept looking over his shoulder like, are you following me? just stop it! She actually spooked him out and he kept trying to lose her. At night he charged her a couple of times to chase her off, but she kept coming back and lurked nearby. Weird huh?

You can see she was a bit thin. I gave her some Prazi-soaked food just in case. Unfortunately, the next day at feeding, she and Diddy went for the same morsel & he bit her accidentally. Though not injured, she dashed off and hid. The next day, one of her eyes was cloudy & googling told me it was pop-eye, likely from the stress. She was very pale, almost white. So I put her in a hospital tank & treated with Furan 2, which was incredibly effective. The first night she got stuck onto the little pump, got a red abrasion and looked terrible. She was hardly swimming & I thought ahead to euthanizing her. The next morning, although still very pale, she was swimming around and eating! At the end of the 4-day treatment, her eye was totally fine. She remembered the incident however and had a totally different personality. She'd shoot away if she saw Diddy approaching and was very shy. I had to target feed her. Strangely enough, she still slept near him at night, often sharing the same cave if he allowed it. I slowly coaxed her back to eating with the gang and now after 2 months, she is finally more like her old self. She's gained weight but, like Julia, seems to be less round than Diddy in shape. He likes her more now and they often swim together.

I still miss Julia though. She had an outstanding personality for sure, always coming up to me at the glass even when it wasn't dinner time. Here's one more shot of her and Diddy for old time's sake...
Image[/url]

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:14 am

Great story, thanks for sharing! My GSPs killed my 2 ocellarus, the 1st night they were together.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"

Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: GSP: Puff Diddy
GSP: Julia *RIP*
GSP: Nan
2 ocellaris clowns (Fred & Ginger), Yellow Watchman goby (Snape) & fine-striped pistol shrimp (Blondie), lawnmower blenny (Lennie *RIP*), mandarin (Po), tailspot blenny (Basil), longnose hawkfish (Fergus), flame hawkfish (Carol)

CUC: tuxedo urchin (Spike), electric blue hermit (Hagrid), 3 turbo snails, turban snail, orange lip conch (Sheldon), 2 scarlet leg hermits
Location (country): Canada (Vancouver)

Post by Maggiec » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Aw man that's terrible, sorry to hear that.

My 2 ocellaris are now the meanest in the tank. Although it's just occasional chasing away from a spot they like (which changes all the time and is never an anemone, stupid clowns). No biting in the tank, knock on wood. They are all focused on feeding time, which is after my dinner. Around 5:00ish they will already all start actively swimming around the central area of the tank. After feeding they drift off and start poking around the rocks.

Diddy isn't afraid of the clowns. He just couldn't be bothered with them. If they do the little charge to chase him from a spot, he'll swim off (rolling his eyes lol).
Strangely enough, no one ever pays any mind to the blenny or mandarin. It's like they're invisible. I guess because they don't participate in the feeding ritual.

hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: GSP, Ceylon, Porky
Location (country): Sacramento, CA USA

Post by hadla » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:37 am

That is too funny! They’re cute :)
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR