Tank For Knight Gobies

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Perfectblue
Puffer Fry

Tank For Knight Gobies

Post by Perfectblue »

Knight Gobies seem like very interesting fish and I was wondering what the best setup for some would be. I would like to use a 20g long or high if that would be a good size tank to use.

1.) Do they do good in groups and if so how many would you recommend? Is there a certain male to female ratio that I need to go by?

2.) What do they eat?

3.) What specific gravity would be best?
Jayhawk
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Jayhawk »

I've not kept groups of them, but I have read keeping 4 or so in a 20 long would be appropriate (caveat here - I read it on the net and can't recall the source). Supposedly, they bluff/display at each other but really don't hurt each other.

I have one in with my Figure 8 and molly. The tank is a 29 gallon tank, and the knight spends the majority of the time in the bottom third so the 20 long would seem to be the better tank. My SG is 1.005 and he seems fine at that. He prefers meaty foods (small crickets or parts my puffer has pulled apart, freeze dried and frozen krill, blood worms) over flake.

I do like my guy, and I think a tank of them would be cool. Let us know what you set up and how it goes!

Eric
fatpuffer
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by fatpuffer »

I had two and they were always fighting with each other. I found that in a smaller tank (20 gallon) all it did was hide. But 33 gallon, he was out and about.

I have mine in a 33 gallon marine tank. One died because I forgot to cover the intake tube of HOB. The other one survived with some scratches and recovered. I had him in marine for about 15 months now. He is healthy and have a nice yellow colouration at the edge of his dorsal fin with nice blue hue as well.

Js
messy_da_legend
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: M. baileyi called Esau

Post by messy_da_legend »

I had no aggression problems with my 2 in my 20g. They werent shy either and loved whole mussels more than any other foods, although they loved bloodworms when the mussels werent there. I think they were both females though judging by the "top" fin. cool fish
Tom

1 x M. baileyi
Flumpus
Puffer Fry

Post by Flumpus »

I have four in a 29g, very rocky tank, they're always in the rocks/caves. They share the tank with a figure 8, SG at 1.005, and do great. I actually thought there had been a massive underground goby fight in the caves, but when I reaquascaped the tank, what do you know, all four gobies.

As far as what they eat... mine eat anything and everything. They're pigs. I feed a mixed diet of frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, plankton, bloodworms, and clams on the half shell. They eat all of it, even the clams (which is pretty funny). So I'd definitely recommend them, probably three or four in a 20g long. As far as male to female ratio, I don't know. I got three males and a female, out of luck really. Probably not ideal, but it has worked so far. I've had them for a little over a year.
CoreyK
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by CoreyK »

I have 2 knight gobies (male and female) with my 2 figure 8's in a 37g with SG @ 1.008.

They bluff a lot, but no real aggression issues.
I haven't found anything they won't eat. Blood worms, brine shrimp, krill, plankton, shrimp pellets, multi-pellets, flakes etc.
They stick to the bottom, and generally hide a lot.
They are pretty though.
nmonks
Mentor
My Puffers: Carinotetraodon irrubesco
Colomesus asellus

Post by nmonks »

As for what they eat, I've heard repeatedly that knights will eat small fish, including bumblebee gobies. So choose tankmates with care. SG 1.005 is fine with these fish, but by all means go higher if you want, or even a little lower if you want them in a planted tank. They don't do especially well in freshwater though, so I'd set the minimum at SG 1.003.

Cheers,

Neale
Flumpus
Puffer Fry

Post by Flumpus »

Neale, how high of an SG can knight gobies take?
nmonks
Mentor
My Puffers: Carinotetraodon irrubesco
Colomesus asellus

Post by nmonks »

I have no idea what the maximum salinity is.

fatpuffer says he/she keeps them at marine, which doesn't surprise me but I've never heard of anyone else keeping them thus. I can tell you that Naomi Delventhal, the goby scientist who wrote the chapter on them in my book, recommends SG 1.002-1.008. I don't really think they care what the exact number is provided the water isn't completely fresh. While they can be kept in freshwater if you know what you're doing, on the average results are better in fresh.

Cheers, Neale
Flumpus
Puffer Fry

Post by Flumpus »

Interesting... thanks for the info!