BW plants???

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Yes,to most but not all.

N in the form of nitrate you should have test kits and test for periodically - it is our primary water quality test measure. Nitrate itself is harmful, but not at the levels we normally try to operate. Nitrate buildup is used a general pollution measue as it is one of the commonest tank tests, and the kits are widely available and sufficiently accurate for our uses. P as phosphate is also testable, but is not familiar to many hobbyists - testing is less common there than it used to be. Now phosphate is usually only tested when folks are having algae issues, to see if their phosphates are too high in relation to nitrate. Potassium (K) is rarely tested as it have the fewest harmful effects (if any) of all the supplements.

Calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg) can be tested together as GH. Separately the testing is much harder and rare in the hobby. Carbonates and bicarbonates are tested as KH or alkalinity (same thing). The real micros are rarely tested. Perhaps Iron (Fe) is the most commonly tested micro/trace, and the test kits are not very good. Iron rarely stays in the water column long at all. Testing the others is quite rare.

If you do 50% partials, traces will never be over 2x any dosage used, and that is within safe limits. Nitrate and phophate may not follow that guideline, as they can still exceed desirable levels from feeding and/or from the water supply itself.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
my name is mike
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by my name is mike »

thank you so much for the indepth answer --

i do currently test for nitrate on a regular basis to keep it always under 20 (since i have a puff) -- but normally in the 5-10 range

i have KH and GH tests (but only in the quick dip strips, which i know to be quite worthless, so ill plan on getting a liquid test once the planting begins) --

thanks again
Mike
my name is mike
Green Spotted Puffer

planted the tank 3 days ago with:

java moss
java fern and java fern lace
moss balls
cambomba
vals
crypt ciliata

ordered it all from aquariumplants.com and everything looks great, way better than the sad stock i've seen in the chicago area LFS

im dosing with half a cap of excel daily -- nothing is looking sad yet, and the moss balls are pearling nicely

thanks for all your help! - fingers crossed that everything stays healthy
Mike
Mad78
Puffer Fry

Re: BW plants???

Post by Mad78 »

what about java moss?
Mynn
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Monotrete Abei - 1

Post by Mynn »

So far in my brackish, my prettiest and favorite of all time is the tiger lotus. If you have brackish you should look in to getting this plant. I bought mine at aquariumplants.com. Mine arrived as little bulbs and once they started sprouting in a few weeks, they did not stop! So pretty!!

Also Dwarf Sagittaria has made nice ground cover and is constantly sprouting runners.

I've also had great luck with Cryptocoryne wendtii and have had the same plant for many, many years. It survived a move from a 10 gal, to a 20 gal and is now making babies in my 75gal. This plant was originally fresh and is now brackish and has survived 2 pH crashes. Really hardy!!

I have 2 wpg and never dosed carbon until recently in the 75g I've been using Excel carbon.
~75g bow front fully planted brackish (1.006), currently no fishies
my name is mike
Green Spotted Puffer

Mynn --- what is your SG ??? -- thanks for the new plants i have not considered those , but would love to have a gound cover plant! -- how long have you had success with these?
Mike
mikeosoft
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by mikeosoft »

I'm also in the planning process of a brackish planted tank. The plant expert at my LFS recommended Tiger Lotus as a possibility, after some research, it seems to be true. I'm also curious to your SG, I'm considering the very low end, like 1.003.
Mynn
Puffer Fry

Post by Mynn »

I generally run at about 1.006.

The lotus and dwarf sag grow like crazy at 2wpg and both are awesome plants!!!
Mynn
Puffer Fry

Post by Mynn »

This tank is about a year old. The lotus and dwarf sag I've had for about 6 mos? The crypt as stated I've had forever!! It's probably the prettiest plant in my tank.

You really need to check out plantgeek.net. It's an excellent resource for planted tanks!

I bought my tiger lotus and sag online at aquariumplants.net. The crypt I bought at petsmart I believe.
my name is mike
Green Spotted Puffer

thank mynn -- i am excited about those new plants -- tried to look for them this weekend but no luck ,, guess ill have to order online -- i have also ordered from that site and its awesome -- everything i got looked great -- do you have any pics of your tank >>?

mikeosoft -- if you are going for 1.003, i believe you have a few more options - check out these 2 sites if you havent already found them :

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishSubW ... plants.htm

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=143235
Mike
Mynn
Puffer Fry

Post by Mynn »

Good luck! Brackish is so fun!

I have the most recent pics on my camera phone. After I re-aquascape this aquarium I'll be sure to post some pics. :) It's ADA style with black aquasoil in the left back corner and in the right back corner. In the middle is just plain sand. It turned out nicely and gives fish open area to swim. The dwarf sag keeps expanding in to the sand and I'm trying to keep that area clear! I swear there's a new runner every day.

My biggest problem is background plants. My water sprite was AMAZING but eventually grew into pretty much a stem plant that wasn't very interesting to look at. It took up half my tank! I trimmed it back and it died. I still have tiny bits of it i'm trying to regrow. The wisteria does the same thing -- it grows out to the top of the tank and the bottom leaves fall off so it looks very sticky. I guess I need more work on my pruning to keep my plants from getting too tall.
mikeosoft
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by mikeosoft »

I've seen those sites, unfortunately there's not a whole lot out there in terms of literature on BW plants. I'm going to be setting up a 50gal brackish planted (36x18x19) with a 96watt Coralife fixture and DIY CO2. I was hoping to get started this week but our Seahorses bred for the first time and caring for the fry is a full time job.

Here's another good site that I found, they have a pretty extensive listing on plants that will tolerate brackish conditions.
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php
Mynn
Puffer Fry

Post by Mynn »

Oh, I forogt to add that I put flourite below the aquasoil. The problem is that sometimes the flourite gets mixed in with the aquasoil and it looks funny!! The plants seem to really like it though!!

OMG seashorse fry!!! I bet they are sooo cute!!!
mikeosoft
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by mikeosoft »

They're very cute, only about 5mm long. I've been doing 50% water changes twice per day and hatching baby brine shrimp every 24 hours trying to keep them alive! We've lost 8 of them so far, but there's still 40 or 50 left. From my research it seems the weak ones usually die off within the first couple weeks, much of the time less than 25% actually live (if any). We weren't expecting it yet so I'll be thrilled if any make it.

Anyways, back on topic!

I bought a bunch of that eco-complete substrate to use. Hopefully its as good as I've heard.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

This is an old topic i know but it seems to be the best post for my question.

I have a figure 8 tank that varies between 1.004 and 1.006 (usually 1.006) with Bacopa Monnieri, Java Fern, Java Moss, Tiger Lotus, Samalous Valerandi and Apongenton Crispus. I dose dry salts for Macros and Micros and DIY CO2 (gas depot) with 1.5WPG.
All of the plants are growing slowly (recently had to cut back on the nitrate dosing because the plants weren't taking up very much of it and the levels rocketed!) and seem ok apart from the Crispus and the tiger lotus leaves have pin holes in them (i have upped the pottassium to hopefully combat it).

My GH test does not work in the tank because of the salinity but i recently tested the KH and was shocked to see that it has reduced so much; my test kit states that the optimum level is between 105 and 125 but it has dropped to 70 and my. I add calcium and magnesium every week but it hasn't halted the slow down! Does anyone else have this problem in their planted brackish tanks? The reason that i'm worrying so much is that I have fiddler crabs in another tank that i have just set up with samalous valerandi and a grass type plant that i can't quite remember the name of (brassilineas I think - will have to look it up!) and KH is directly related to calcium which the crabs need. I don't want the crabs to suffer because I like the look of planted tanks.

Does anybody have a brackish planted tank and suffered a drop in KH? how was it overcome?