F8 puffer and tank mates

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1x Green spotted pufferfish
Location (country): New Zealand

F8 puffer and tank mates

Post by Blinkey »

Hey all,
Currently I am planning my puffer's upgraded tank (about 27 gal of water after accounting for substrate and decor). I have decided against acquiring a 2nd F8 due to the risk of bullying and not having enough volume for a 3rd puffer to disperse any aggression. But I am now contemplating on introducing other species. I will definitely be adding a couple more BBGs as they have worked fantastically, and I am drawn between the idea of also keeping either two orange chromides or two black mollies. The biggest advantage of black mollies is they can help cut back on my hair algae issue.
I have found very little about either of these two combinations and people's personal (long-term) experiences in mixing with F8s. So, would those with prior experience mixing these fish species please post how it went? As well as whether you think it is a good idea or not?

Note: I do understand there is always a general risk in mixing other spp. with F8s or any puffer, but I am willing to experiment a little and will take necessary action (return or re-house fish) if things go south.
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: F8 puffer and tank mates

Post by Pufferpunk »

I found knight gobies to be quite entertaining.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Thanks for the reply PP :)
I have heard a lot about knight gobies and I must admit they look pretty damn cool. However, I have never seen them available in my country (I check on my LFS and other's stocking quite regularly), so unfortunately I don't think they would be an available option. Still, I will keep my eye out for them.

Just to add. I also checked them up on the list of importable ornamental fish into my country, and they are not listed. So they are an illegal species :(
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

i think a 55g is much better for a mixed BW tank.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

55 g is a tad too large for my living situation at present. However, I did just manage to acquire today a free 36 gallon tank (90.5 x 38 x 40), as well as a heater to fit (Jager) and a huge bucket of marine salt :D
This was all from my Uni lab, they had to store a whole heap of tanks and they had one extra they couldn't accommodate. All I need to get now is more aragonite substrate and figure out how the heck I am going to switcheroo the tanks (i.e. move the fish, substrate and water volume into the new tank where the current one is situated).

I am now contemplating whether or not to get 2 more F8s (since I have the tank-space now), or instead trial a small community with either a pair of orange chromides or black mollies, as well as more BBGs (5-6 in total).
I really would jump at the idea of getting an extra puff or two, but I am unsure due to reading that singletons tend to live longer than grouped fig 8s. Is this a very real finding? And is it primarily related to bullying during feeding? If so, I could get around this as I spot feed all my fish.
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What luck!

Yes, if you look over RTR's countless posts on F8s you will find this to be true. But that was a singleton in a tank alone. He did a 10 year study on this but never sent me his documentation to post in our Library & has since gone blind. I can't even get him to answer my emails or phone calls. I never understood why he refused to get a audio keyboard to continue posting his research. I even offered to buy it for him.

Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Blinkey wrote:55 g is a tad too large for my living situation at present. However, I did just manage to acquire today a free 36 gallon tank (90.5 x 38 x 40), as well as a heater to fit (Jager) and a huge bucket of marine salt :D
This was all from my Uni lab, they had to store a whole heap of tanks and they had one extra they couldn't accommodate. All I need to get now is more aragonite substrate and figure out how the heck I am going to switcheroo the tanks (i.e. move the fish, substrate and water volume into the new tank where the current one is situated).

I am now contemplating whether or not to get 2 more F8s (since I have the tank-space now), or instead trial a small community with either a pair of orange chromides or black mollies, as well as more BBGs (5-6 in total).
I really would jump at the idea of getting an extra puff or two, but I am unsure due to reading that singletons tend to live longer than grouped fig 8s. Is this a very real finding? And is it primarily related to bullying during feeding? If so, I could get around this as I spot feed all my fish.
My 2 never fought but it was the most dominant of the 2 that died earlier for me because he/she would let its teeth overgrow, it decided that it would sit back and wait for the other to get the fleshy meat out of the shell and feed on the meat so no need to scrape his/her teeth on the hard shell. It all started to go downhill for him/her after I went to the vet to get its teeth cut and the vet used a tool that must have been used to clip elephants toenails it was so big, the vet managed to break his teeth and they never really grew back properly and we were forever having problems with them. They lived together for 7 years but the 1st one died earlier this year, the other is still doing well.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Dentistry is something we need to learn to do ourselves, if we're to keep puffers.

Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Pufferpunk wrote:Dentistry is something we need to learn to do ourselves, if we're to keep puffers.
Totally agree, all further dentistry was done by me but the damage was done by then. That said others with more skill might have been able to save the situation.
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Thanks, Iliveinazoo. I never considered dentistry being an issue with two puffers. I can definitely see that as a potential issue, as more aggressive puffs beat the other to the snail etc and/or steal it, not allowing the passive fish to wear its beak down. I have decided not to get a 2nd puff to keep things simple. But I will try a couple orange chromides instead and then see how it goes. I have a feeling my puff is of a more scaredy/passive nature when it comes to other fish (the way it behaves with BBGs), so I have a feeling it will work, but we'll see :)
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Keep in mind, chromides are cichlids. They can be aggressive, especially in a smaller tank.

Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Yeah, I understand that this venture has its risks. Not many people seemed to have tried this combination (or at least those that share their experiences), so I will trial it and share my personal experience as to whether it is successful or not. Although fish are individuals and can greatly vary in behaviour, I still feel this could contribute towards helping others who attempt in keeping their F8 in coexistence with other brackish fish.
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Are those cichlids available to you? I have rarely seen them in my lifetime.

Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Funnily enough my LFS almost always has them available. Strange, because so many fish that you would consider highly available are almost never seen here, lol.
"Life, uh, finds a way"
maccyg
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by maccyg »

I am currently keeping a pair of Green Chromides for the past few months with a pair of F8 puffers in a 225l brackish tank and have had no issues so far - they have the occasional "scuffle" when either of them get too close to each other (no physical contact, just the occasional snapping at each other in the water) but the Chromides (as PufferPunk mentioned) are quite sure of themselves and won't allow themselves to be intimidated by the F8's so perhaps that causes an element of harmony - I believe Orange Chromides may be a little more placid so although that sounds good on paper it may allow the F8's to take more control of the environment.