F8 puffer and tank mates

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Re: F8 puffer and tank mates

Post by Iliveinazoo »

maccyg wrote:I am currently keeping a pair of Green Chromides for the past few months with a pair of F8 puffers in a 225l brackish tank and have had no issues so far - they have the occasional "scuffle" when either of them get too close to each other (no physical contact, just the occasional snapping at each other in the water) but the Chromides (as PufferPunk mentioned) are quite sure of themselves and won't allow themselves to be intimidated by the F8's so perhaps that causes an element of harmony - I believe Orange Chromides may be a little more placid so although that sounds good on paper it may allow the F8's to take more control of the environment.
I'd love to see pictures? I've never seen any Green Chromides in the LFS's near me.
maccyg
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by maccyg »

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Here are some pics attached, building up the wood & dragon stone over time but it's getting there - despite the tank being brackish (SG of 1.003) I am actually having some success with growing Java Fern albeit very slow growth, I have to add fertiliser & liquid carbon to get any sort of survival though, without those I'd be looking at dead plants - tried other plants but they all burnt away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maccyg
Puffer Fry

Post by maccyg »

I need to upgrade my lighting too - have old T8's in there and I'm hoping to upgrade to LED over Xmas time which should help bring out the colour in the Chromide - love the stripes on them, very unusual
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1x Green spotted pufferfish
Location (country): New Zealand

Post by Blinkey »

Wow, certainly is a nice looking fish you got there. Also, great looking tank. I love the scape you got going on.
"Life, uh, finds a way"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You were lucky to find chromides!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
maccyg
Puffer Fry

Post by maccyg »

Yes although I didn't realise how lucky at the time!

Went to my LFS to check out their Orange Chromides (they are well known for having some unusual / rare speciments of all sorts) however the assistant recommended the Green's as he felt the Orange's may be a little to placid to live with the F8's, he felt the rather more boisterous nature of the Green's would give the F8's a run for their money and up to now he seems correct - they must have had around 20-25 Green Chromides when I saw them, gorgeous fish. Other aquatic places I've been to since don't stock Chromides at all so yes I was really lucky.

BTW Iliveinazoo, I see you are in Southampton but if you're ever up near Nottinghamshire check out Wharf Aquatics in Pinxton, that's were I got them from - might be a tad too far for Blinkey & Pufferpunk though I'm afraid :-(